• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Woodward

Dave C

master brummie
I am trying to find any descendants of Charlotte Woodward born Charlotte Carr on 27/11/1891 in Birmingham. Her husbands name was Sammy.

My grandfather was her brother Leonard Carr and I would be particularly interested in learning more about Charlottes own father, James Carr as well as about Charlotte herself. As children Charlotte would have lived in Upper Trinity Street, Derited/Digbeth (technically the Aston parish) although with Sammy lived in Hope Street.

thanks

Dave Carr
[email protected]

Carr,s

Hello Dave :) Do you have Charlotte Carr/Family on 1901 census?

If not here they are,, Rg13/2858 Folio 32 page 22
Lower Trinity St as you stated,(All born Aston, Warks)
James Carr age 39,Occupation hard to read, maybe;Deburrer
at (Jack, manufacturor) probable Bottle Jacks=Hydraulics Ok.
Wife Rose age 42, Son Luke age 19 a Polisher(Cycles)
Dau Phoebe age 16, Son James age 12, Your Charlotte age 10
Son Leonard age 5, Dau Elsie age 1 & another Nellie age 1
Cheers John Y :cool:

Carrs/Woodward

thanks John
yes I do have that one although had not been able to translate the Jack Manufacturer,
much appreciated
Dave

Woodward.

:2623: There used to be a bookies in Manor road Witton many years ago owned by a Woodward. Can't at the moment remember his first name. that would be in the early 50's. Probably wake up in the morning and remember his name. He bout me a soverein when I was born. I think it may have been George. TTFN. Jean. :carrot:

Hope Street

Hi Dave :) Heres a bit of "Hope" for you ;)

1920 Electoral Roll, St Martins & Deritend Ward
Samuel Woodward 105 Hope Street ,RO

Priscilla Woodward 58* Hope St,HO
George Woodward 58f Hope St, R
Frank Woodward 58j Hope St, RO
Harry Woodward 58j Hope St, R

Now 1925 Elec Roll
Samuel (as above) with Charlotte Rose Woodward 105 Hope St

Priscilla at 58A, Frank at 58 & Harry at 11 court 3, Hope St
No George there in 1925,
Hope this assists your seraches, Cheers m8, John Y :cool:

thanks everyone

it's bringing me a bit closer, now if I can just find a living descendent of Charlotte and Sammy..........

Dave

My wife Marie (nee Woodward) has ancestors from Cattell Road, her father was Dennis and can remember an uncle Arthur who lived in Cattell Rd in the 60's. Unfortunately, Dennis was not very forthcoming about his family, but did say his mother died in the 20's and his father re-married, She would love to find out more about the Woodwards, so if you can see any similarities, she may be able to find new relatives.

Hi GazC

To help you we need a few answers -

What year was Dennis born, do you know his parents names, it would also help if we had a birth year for your wife, and just to be clear, was Arthur uncle to her or her father

bren

Hi Bren,

Dennis was born 28th Oct 1921 and my wife - Marie - 4th Dec 1955.
Dennis had a brother Arthur and sister Florence, there were others, but we don't know their names.

A potted history:
Dennis married Margaret Mudie
Chidren:
- Marie
- Pamela
- Michael
- Stephen
- Janet
- Joy
- Michelle

Gaz

Hi Dave C,found 2 possible children,surname Woodward,mmn Carr
Name: Iris R Woodward
Mother's Maiden Surname: Carr
Date of Registration: Jan Feb Mar 1924
Registration district: Birmingham
Registration county: Warwickshire
Volume Number: 6d
Page Number: 620

Name: Peter J Woodward
Mother's Maiden Surname: Carr
Date of Registration: Jan Feb Mar 1930
Registration district: Birmingham S
Registration county: Warwickshire
Volume Number: 6d
Page Number: 273

thanks for the info but since I posted the original question about a year ago I have had a bit of a breakthrough on finding living Woodwards using Faceboook of all things. I was lucky enough to meet up with Gary Woodward and his uncle Peter Woodward, it was great to hear about that side of the family and to see old photos of people that we all knew which really helped to confirm the connection.

And ladylinda, it's the same Peter and Iris so you are right on the money!

GazC my Woodwards also lived mainly in Hope Street but Charlotte Woodward (nee Carr) had at least 3 of her children with Sammy Woodward in Dover Place Cattell Road up to and during the first world war at least. I haven't worked it out yet but she may have gone home to her parents who lived there while Sammy was on active service - just a guess.

thanks again

Dave

Ladylinda
I went to college in the 70s in Birmingham with a Steve Phipps, loved golf (unlike me who sticks to footie), not one of yours??

Dave

GazC

Here are the birth and marriage details for Dennis --

Dennis Woodward mmn Birch 4th qtr 1921 Aston 6d 812

Dennis Woodward/Margaret B Mudie 2nd qtr 1956 Birmingham 9c 776

I searched for a Woodward/Birch marriage and found only two between the years 1912 to 1921, the first was a Walter J to Mary E Birch in 1913, Nuneaton, the second was Lawrence R to Elsie M A Birch in Burton, if your wife has either documents it would be handy to have his parents names from them, if not , i would suggest sending for his birth certificate as that will have both parents names, or, does your wife know them

bren

Hi Dave,

I was just wondering if you got back further with your research and if there could be any connection between your Woodwards and my William Woodward who was born 1843 in Basford, Nottingham, son of Mark and Celina Stanyon and married Ellen Farley 12th June 1864 in the Parish Church of Edgbaston, Warwick? They had 10 children, Mary, William, Lizzie, Charles, Florence, Albert, Julia, Jeanette, Oscar and Edgar. William and Ellen lived at 197 Summer Lane, Birmingham on 1881 & 1891 census.

kindest regards,

Maria

Re: Woodward.

I remember the bookies was a family run unit ie 4 brothers Charles,Sid, Norman ? 4th brother ? My father worked at the office my mother was a cleaner at Charles Wooward house and to make a couple of Bob my wife and I cleaned the offices on the Witton circle.

Woodward.

:2623: There used to be a bookies in Manor road Witton many years ago owned by a Woodward. Can't at the moment remember his first name. that would be in the early 50's. Probably wake up in the morning and remember his name. He bout me a soverein when I was born. I think it may have been George. TTFN. Jean. :carrot:

One of my family members, the late Charles Woodward (1913-1988) has several bookmakers shops in the Witton and Aston are which traded as "Chas Woodward". Does anybody have any info
Re: Woodward.

I remember the bookies was a family run unit ie 4 brothers Charles,Sid, Norman ? 4th brother ? My father worked at the office my mother was a cleaner at Charles Wooward house and to make a couple of Bob my wife and I cleaned the offices on the Witton circle.

The four brothers ran a small chain of bookies shops in the Witton and Aston area, trading as "Chas Woodward" and are part of my wife's family:
George Woodward b 1900
Sydney (Sid) b 1905
Norman b 1908
Charles 1913-1988

I have attached a picture of Charles from the 1980s.

If anybody can tell me anything further about the business of the proprietors I would be delighted to hear from you.

Jason

Charles Woodward.jpg

Hi Dave,

I was just wondering if you got back further with your research and if there could be any connection between your Woodwards and my William Woodward who was born 1843 in Basford, Nottingham, son of Mark and Celina Stanyon and married Ellen Farley 12th June 1864 in the Parish Church of Edgbaston, Warwick? They had 10 children, Mary, William, Lizzie, Charles, Florence, Albert, Julia, Jeanette, Oscar and Edgar. William and Ellen lived at 197 Summer Lane, Birmingham on 1881 & 1891 census.

kindest regards,

Maria

Maria, I think they are the same family. I think the four Woodward bookmaker brothers are grandsons of "your" William Woodward b 1843. "Your" William had Charles George Woodward (1871-1945) and he is the father of the four Woodward bookmakers.

I have an update on the Woodward bookmakers of Aston. I have improved the genealogy and with the assistance of my son have found a period photograph. The four Woodward bookmaker brothers of Aston and Witton were:
  • Charles George Woodward b 1898, married Florence Evelyn Johnson
  • Sydney Thomas Woodward (Sid) b 1905, married Lily Farmer
  • Norman Harold Woodward b 1908, married Violet E Holmes
  • Charles Woodward 1913-1988, married Sarah Jane Topliss
I would be delighted when looking at the photograph if you can tell me which brother is which.
Even better, anybody with a horse racing bent could probably work out from the runners the date and course.

Attachments

• Charlie Woodward Bookmakers on course.jpg
    Charlie Woodward Bookmakers on course.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
One of my family members, the late Charles Woodward (1913-1988) has several bookmakers shops in the Witton and Aston are which traded as "Chas Woodward". Does anybody have any info

The four brothers ran a small chain of bookies shops in the Witton and Aston area, trading as "Chas Woodward" and are part of my wife's family:
George Woodward b 1900
Sydney (Sid) b 1905
Norman b 1908
Charles 1913-1988

I have attached a picture of Charles from the 1980s.

If anybody can tell me anything further about the business of the proprietors I would be delighted to hear from you.

Jason

View attachment 152430
I have met Charles when I was a little girl. I am the niece of Sydney Thomas Woodward who married my auntie Kitty Armfield. When I was little they lived in Erdington in Wheelwright Road. I remember them talking about his brother Norman who married Vye . Uncle Sid moved to Weston super mare eventually .

Back