• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Woodman Public House Easy Row

My memory of The Woodman is when I used to sit in the cheap seats in the town hall (behind the orchestra) at the CBSO symphony concerts. I used to nip round to The Woodman for a pint in the interval and half the orchestra, in their tail coats, would be there knocking back drinks.

This photo was lost after the hacking. Lyn (Astoness) originally posted it. It's an interior view of the Woodman from 1964 - New Years Eve. It shows some of the tiled pictures in situ in the background. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329825277.669899.jpg

Another lost interior view from this thread. Originally posted by Astoness and/or Phil but re-posted by Oldmohawk on another thread (getting confusing huh?) Hope that's OK with everyone. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334084600.855399.jpg

Hi Viv
I've got an Openoffice doc in my puter with links in it and with it's very fast search I can shoot to a forum pic in seconds even when I'm not logged on and notice the word Woodman shows six times in the 'Another Old Pub' thread at 27 131 140 141 146 323.
I don't think it's the same Woodman though, but some wonderful tile pics in some pics.
oldmohawk...:encouragement:

Hi Oldmohawk. Thanks for that. I remember the discussions on the other thread. I originally started this one up because we were trying to track down the missing tile pictures. No-one seems to know where most of them went. There's one held by the B'ham Museum. But we live in hope that one day some others will turn up ..... !! Viv.

Oh happy days. Saturday dinner time in the little room on the left between the bar and the lounge, "three card brag", a couple of pints then off across the road to The West End for an afternoon of dancing / jiving. Firstly to the resident band and joy oh joy to the latest pop records. There's still no cure for the summer time blues. What a dance floor!!
jimbo

I worked in the old Reference Library (in Ratcliffe Place, facing the side of the Town Hall) in the mid to late 1960s and used to sometimes walk round the block, which included Easy Row. My memories of it are a tad hazy but I remember a little old violin shop and the magnificent Woodman pub, about which there are quite a few posts (and some excellent photos of the tiled interior) elsewhere on this forum. Sadly I never did get to see inside the Woodman! As far as I can recall, both the Woodman and the violin shop faced (more or less) Broad Street.

woodman easy row.jpg

breaks my heart to watch thisvideo clip taken of the magnificent woodman pub easy row after it had closed down and was awaiting the old ball and chain gang...the interior and exterior were suburb and the tiled paintings must have been something else and for what?? the building of paradise circus....shot in 1965...a better look at the tiled painting can be seen on the forums thread below starting on post 140...surely there can not be many that can justify the demolision of this fine building...

please note that my link to the video clip is not working so i have deleted it but see puddings link on post 9 which does...

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=34394&page=10&highlight=woodman+pub+easy+row

Last edited:
I feel as you do, the beauty, care and skill going into the making of these magnificent builldings - todays building are like mostly glass lego pieces connected together

I feel as you do, the beauty, care and skill going into the making of these magnificent builldings - todays building are like mostly glass lego pieces connected together

totally agree with you csmith604..once they have gone they will never be replaced...so sad

Went in there most Saturday dinner times/Monday nights before going over to the West End to the dance. It had some exquisite features including the revolving glass panels in what I think was a "modesty" strip above the bar in the small room on the left as you went in as if going down the passage to the Lounge at the back. Fred, the gaffer at the time was a very hospitable person, just the sort you needed in a great pub like that. Oh well, that's progress!!

Lyn (Astoness), don't know if it's me or what, but the two links you have posted wont open up. It keeps telling me "web page not found"

SorrySorry Lyn I tried to join it up but failed. Can you repost?

hi bernie the link to the forum thread was working but i noticed that the link to the video clip does not...try putting in google...mace media archives you maybe able to access it from that...it was ATV news who took it..i will go and add the forum link though

lyn

Lyn/ Bernard, I have just typed into Google " woodman pub easy row 1965" and the video clip came up no problem. I wonder if the the Tile Pictures have been found, last I heard they were " on the missing list"

For those who prefer photos on the page to the screen, there is a whole chapter of splendid pictures of the Woodman, Easy Row, in 'Birmingham Pubs' by Keith Turner, published by Tempus, 1999. Magnificent craftsmanship inside and out: stained glass, decorative tiles and carved mahogany.

I was asked yesterday at the meet about the Woodman on Easy Row and could I locate this post concerning the tiles on the walls of the public bar. As this is the thread that concerns itself mainly with the tiles here it is. The best way to locate others is to type "Woodman Easy Row" into the search box at the top right of the page

Attachments

• Woodman Tiled Walls Public Bar .jpg
    Woodman Tiled Walls Public Bar .jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 30
2.jpg

I am wondering if its possible to re-post some pictures of the interior of the Woodman?

Just by coincidence, both the Woodman and my Victorian Grade II* listed building Sandfields Pumping Station were designed by Henry Naden, a Birmingham Architect. I know the Woodman was built in 1891 and the pumping station in 1873, so Naden must have just been cutting his teeth.

Naden also designed on of the arcades and a room in a Birmingham Synagogue too.

Hi Mort. There are a few more images now on this thread as I've merged it with other threads on the Woodman Easy Row. If anyone can replace lost images too, that would be helpful. Thanks. Viv.

hi mort i am sure phil will be able to repost his lost photos and may i say demolishing this building was one of the biggest mistakes bcc has ever made:mad: and they have made many of those over the years

lyn

Hi Mort. There are a few more images now on this thread as I've merged it with other threads on the Woodman Easy Row. If anyone can replace lost images too, that would be helpful. Thanks. Viv.

Viv

I have replaced whatever images that I can see are down to me, as I have said previously if you come across any photbucket hosted images that have been removed just message me and I will replace them.

Back