• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Woodman Public House Easy Row

hi alan i dont know about that particular one..but the story i heard was that all the tiling was sold off to various pubs around the city...i have yet to see any evidence of this....my guess would be they were all smashed up and skipped but no one wants to own up to such a massive blunder...would love to be proved wrong though

lyn

I have done a bit of work on the Architect of the Woodman, Henry Naden, he did a couple of building in and around Birmingham as follows:

Henry Naden was a Birmingham Architect based at 54, Livery Street, Birmingham. He was responsible for designing several buildings, including;

The Woodman pub which once stood on Easy Row, off Broad Street, instead of a painted sign it features a grand statue of a wood cutter over the main entrance. Its exterior was grand, and photographs show a very comfortable interior. Built in 1891-2, it was popular with councillors, nipping in after meetings at the Council House nearby and later on students from the School of Art. It was demolished in 1965, a victim of the city inner ring road, is was huge loss to the city.

The Imperial Arcade in Dale End, it has a single entrance, and the dates about 10 years after the Great Western Arcade was built.

Has anyone a picture of this?

Athol Masonic Hall, 60 Severn Street, Birmingham banqueting hall. Decorated with Stars of David, was added for the Freemasons in 1871-2. The Torah Ark was retained by the Freemasons with only slight modifications. It's handsome, fluted Doric columns and classical entablature remain. The Master's Chair is placed in the former Torah Ark niche.

Has anyone a picture of this?

Magdalene Chapel, Birmingham 1861-1863, Excepting 'side walls'. Naden responsible for initial plans; Holmes for plans for new chapel, 1863.

Ditto

The adjoined east building at Sandfields Pumping Station as an additional space for the 190 horse power Cornish Beam engine.

A number of ther South Staffordshire Waterworks buildings....

Just joined the forum. Thanks for the interesting walk down memory lane, the Woodman Inn was kept by my uncle and aunt, Fred and Mabel, up to the time it was demolished. As a child me and my sister spent many happy hours running around the beautiful Victorian bars, helped Fred make up the fires before opening and used to hang out of the upper floor windows watching the Birmingham Carnival go past throwing pennies down. My mother was also the cook for many years. So many lovely pictures.

I remember it very well as a friend of the family used the place regularly up till the mid to late 60's , I never went in myself too young to begin with then our crowd in the 60's used The Wandering Minstrel The Crown and a pub facing Chetwyns before it changed it's name to Sam Wellers . I've just thought that pub's name was The Alhambra, latter pubs both being in Hill St .

Last edited:
I was always dazzled by the beauty of the Woodman, the solid wooden bars, and colored glass, the tiles, the place was spotless, and the beer good, as mentioned lovey fires, a real English Public House. I must say that the powers to be demolished some fantastic Georgian/ Victorian buildings in there rush to modernize Birmingham, but that was a crime. to destroy such a wonderful old hostelry. Paul

totally agree paul the woodman and the josiah mason college are probably my 2 top biggest and i mean biggest errors of judgement made by our wonderful council and lets face it they have made many over the years and continue to do so...sadly history counts for nowt in what was once the city of a thousand trades

lyn

I would love to see the beautiful interior of "The Woodsman", again if any one has access to some Colour prints or photos, Paul

When I used to go to the CBSO symphony concerts in the town hall in my 20's (in the 1950's) I would sit at the back sometimes, behind the orchestra, and during the interval would nip out the back entrance for a quick drink in, I think, The Woodman. Half the orchestra would be there downing a pint before we all returned.

philm

Back