• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Woodhall S Aston Road in 1815

lina0101

Brummie babby
I am doing family history research and have found a marriage record at Aston St Peter and Paul for Solomon Woodhall and Hannah Reynolds, who were both living on Aston Road. Is there any way to find out who else was living on Aston Road at that time?

Sorry to say not to my knowledge....but you never know, they may be a document in the Library of Birmingham Archives somewhere.....

You could check other marriages, as well as births and deaths. A bit laborious and, at least for the marriages, I'm not certain how reliable the given addresses were. There were some fibbing in those days if one of the participants didn't live in the parish.

You could check other marriages, as well as births and deaths. A bit laborious and, at least for the marriages, I'm not certain how reliable the given addresses were. There were some fibbing in those days if one of the participants didn't live in the parish.

That's interesting that you say that, because I am pretty sure that both bride and groom lived in West Bromwich. Do you have any ideas why they might have gotten married at Aston St Peter and Paul instead?

There are a number of reasons - being under age, being already married, family disapproval or more mundane reasons - working/living in the area, family came from/live in that area.

There are probably others as well.

Some parts of modern Birmingham came under West Bromwich years ago. This fact caused a lot of confusion when I was contacted on Ancestry by someone claiming to be a relative because "the one registered in West Bromwich could not be my grandfather". It turned out he could and was.

That's very interesting! Do you know how I could find out if Aston Road might have come under West Bromwich? I can't find maps that are that old.

It would only apply after 1837 when births, deaths and marriages had to be registered. The country was split into districts and I suppose you had to register in the area the event took place. Even so Aston Road wouldn't have been classed as West Bromwich.

A bit late but why do you want to know who was living in Aston Road? To see if other family members were there as well?

I am doing family history research and have found a marriage record at Aston St Peter and Paul for Solomon Woodhall and Hannah Reynolds, who were both living on Aston Road. Is there any way to find out who else was living on Aston Road at that time?
Good Afternoon
I am also doing family history on the Woodhall, and is the Soloman Woodhall b1842, you're researching belong to a long list of children fathered by a Edward Woodhall and wife's name Sarah. I think there were 10 children, 8 with Sarah (don't know her surname). If this is correct they lived in West Bromwich. The way to check who else was living on Aston Rd, is the Electoral role/register at West Brom Records Office or Birmingham Records office, around the date of marriage. Or check 10 year Census Records, assuming the records exist.
On another note I'm one of the last surviving Woodhall's on a branch of this family, if you'd like to make contact please PM me.

I am also doing family history on the Woodhall, and is the Soloman Woodhall b1842, you're researching belong to a long list of children fathered by a Edward Woodhall and wife's name Sarah. I think there were 10 children, 8 with Sarah (don't know her surname). If this is correct they lived in West Bromwich. The way to check who else was living on Aston Rd, is the Electoral role/register at West Brom Records Office or Birmingham Records office, around the date of marriage. Or check 10 year Census Records, assuming the records exist.
On another note I'm one of the last surviving Woodhall's on a branch of this family, if you'd like to make contact please PM me.

So perhaps we are (distant) cousins! I believe that my ancestor Solomon Woodhall (born ~1794) who later lived in West Bromwich was Edward Woodhall's older brother. The dates, names, and places match up, but I have not found a conclusive piece of evidence tying him to that that family. I was hoping the address of Aston Road on this marriage record might be a clue, but I don't even have conclusive proof that this Solomon Woodhall was *my* Solomon Woodhall, although it seems very likely. I will send you a PM.

So perhaps we are (distant) cousins! I believe that my ancestor Solomon Woodhall (born ~1794) who later lived in West Bromwich was Edward Woodhall's older brother. The dates, names, and places match up, but I have not found a conclusive piece of evidence tying him to that that family. I was hoping the address of Aston Road on this marriage record might be a clue, but I don't even have conclusive proof that this Solomon Woodhall was *my* Solomon Woodhall, although it seems very likely. I will send you a PM.
So the Edward Woodhall you refer to, are his parents Thomas Woodhall b1755 ish and mother Sarah Silvester b1760ish. Must admit I'm struggling with research at the EW b1799 stage. There could be 2 Soloman's, one brother and one a son. I've got to start digging again. What have I started? Was only looking for Mill Meece and B'ham City Police and found this site.

Yes, I have a family tree that I found at the London genealogical society that shows Edward being born to Thomas Woodhall and Sarah Silvester. He has a brother named Solomon Woodhall, born ~1794, and then Edward in 1799. If I recall correctly, the names of Thomas's children are all listed in his will.

My ancestor is Solomon Woodhall, born ~1794, lived in West Bromwich married to Hannah. But how do I prove it's the same Solomon Woodhall? The records are all so vague...it's so frustrating that marriage records did not contain the names of the parents at that time!

Back