• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Woodcock St Baths.

What a change from the days when I used to go to Woodcock St. Thanks for posting Ell.

They have made a lot of changes. Seemed to have raised the roof a bit (new windows installed). Put modern bits in at the top.

No problem BazzM.

I found the attached photo in the City of Birmingham Handbook 1929-1930.
Apparently, during the winter months, several of the swimming baths were closed and converted to assembly halls for concerts etc. This photo shows the hall set up for a boxing match/exhibition

Wonder what it's like inside now? Must be all modern what with the work that's gone on over the last year.

It will have a new enlarged martial arts suite.

It reopened today.

Renamed Doug Ellis Woodcock Sports Centre

View from Woodcock Street

Doug Ellis Woodcock Sports Centre - Woodcock Street by ell brown, on Flickr

New window with Doug Ellis and Aston University on it

Doug Ellis Woodcock Sports Centre - window by ell brown, on Flickr

Entrance pretty much the same as it was before

Doug Ellis Woodcock Sports Centre - entrance door by ell brown, on Flickr

Doug Ellis Woodcock Sports Centre - entrance door by ell brown, on Flickr

New roof from Aston Street

Doug Ellis Woodcock Sports Centre - Aston Street by ell brown, on Flickr

For interior / exterior photos see Sport Aston's photostream on Flickr

Official opening today. Parking on Woodock Street outside was blocked off.

I saw this sign last week

Due to an official opening ceremony - sign - Woodcock Street by ell brown, on Flickr

turns out it was for the Sports Centre.

Now called The Doug Ellis Woodcock Sports Centre

The Doug Ellis Woodcock Sports Centre - Official Opening by ell brown, on Flickr

The Doug Ellis Woodcock Sports Centre - Official Opening by ell brown, on Flickr

I later noticed some Villa claret and blue balloons outside the sports centre. Wonder if Doug Ellis himself opened it?

Yes it was Doug Ellis. Even Ron Atkinson was there apparently.

Ex-Aston Villa chairman Doug Ellis unveils £5 million revamped sports centre at Aston University

doug-ellis-357735144.jpg

FORMER Aston Villa chairman Doug Ellis got on his bike to relaunch a historic Birmingham sports centre which has undergone a £5 million facelift.

Mr Ellis has lent his name to the revamped Doug Ellis Woodcock Sports Centre on the Aston University campus after helping to fund the centre’s refurbishment.

The building, which is home to Birmingham’s oldest working swimming pool, now boasts a new fitness suite, martial arts and dance studios, as well as revamped sports hall.

Honorary Aston graduate Mr Ellis was on hand to cut the ribbon at the official opening ceremony, which was also attended by Lord Mayor or Birmingham, Coun Anita Ward, and Aston honorary professor Sir Adrian Cadbury.

Also in attendance was ex-Villa boss Ron Atkinson, who joined his former chairman in trying out some of the centre’s new exercise bikes.

Mr Ellis was among 300 groups and individuals to fund the refurbishment of the centre, which will be open for use by students, local schools, community groups and members of the public.

He said: “This really is an honour. What we are doing with this centre is providing a facility for students and the wider community, particularly Aston which is my second love.”

The university took over the sports centre from Birmingham City Council back in 1980 and paid the princely sum of £1 for the building, which was formerly known as the Woodcock Street Baths and Laundry.

In addition to a new sauna and steam room, the centre still retains its unique historic features, including its original tiled floors and walls and a Grade II listed swimming pool.

University vice chancellor, Professor Julia King, said: “The Doug Ellis Woodcock Sports Centre highlights the university’s commitment to providing first rate sports facilities that will make a real difference to the city.

“The centre will greatly benefit our own students’ campus experience, external sports clubs which regularly use our facilities, and local schools and others living around us in the city and the West Midlands.”

Read More https://www.birminghammail.net/news...ston-university-97319-29533444/#ixzz1Zq7e1yim

It's on the corner of Woodcock Street and Coleshill Street. Google Maps view.

I walk around here loads of times to work. Did you never go up here (in the days before it was owned by Aston University but by the council?)

If you look at my photos in Post 67 you will see that the main entrance is still on Woodcock Street. On Coleshill Street is emergency exits.

In fact the Coleshill Street facade dates to 1924 (the original bits no the new additions).

Ell They must have renamed the street the baths were on the corner of Woodcock St and Lower Lawerence St.Coleshill St was at the bottom of the road(the Black Horse end) just up towards town past Prospect Row.Dek

The current Coleshill Street runs from Jame Watt Queensway. Then there's the new student accommodation in the middle (car park under a sports pitch). Then it continues on to Woodcock Street. The Woodcock Street end is only for car park access I think.

Didn't know that it was renamed.

My grandmother lived in Balsall heath in 1880's and she and her family were members of the 'Birmingham Swimming Club'. They won a few silver medals at swimming events from this club which I still have. They are dated 1884 to 1890. They used local swimming bath. Any ideas on what baths they would have used at this time. I think the Moseley Road Baths were only opened in 1906/07??? Thanks, Warren

attended a gala at woodcock st with Central grammar School in 1971, and for some reason must have annoyed some chap because as we left we had a massive fight in the road. Tough geezer he turned out to be. Good draw.

My memories of Woodcock Street Baths in the early 70s when we had our school swimming lessons there- I didn't like swimming, no direct bus route from where I lived in Gordon Street so had a long, unpleasant walk, had a cookery lesson on the same day so had to bring all my ingredients to the baths, always felt sick after due to the chlorine and the smell of the Brewery outside, other than that a lovely experience!!! :laughing:

We lived at 33 Sheep Street, the Boland’s. I went to Bishop Ryder School. Our Dad took us once a week to the public baths for our weekly bath.

Back