• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

WOODCOCK LANE BRIDGE --Grand Union

M

malvern

This bridge has recently been listed as it is one of the few remaining canal bridges which is in original condition in Birmingham. It was built as a road bridge but never developed and retained as a foot bridge joining Clay Lane in South Yardley. Because of this it never had to be widened or strengthened as all the other bridges had to be, so it is still in 'as built' condition.

I use to go to school in Acocks Green and we used to walk across this bridge from Clay Lane to Woodcock Lane and then over the railway bridge as well.

Does anyone know more about this bridge and its listing?

MAP

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap....=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Malvern, The canal bridge that joins Woodcock Lane to Woodcock Lane North built 1794 has been given a Grade II listing following a full inspection of the site by English Heritage, when i was a kid pre WW2 it was one of our play places, we would walk along the towpath from Yardley Rd bridge trying to skim stones on the suface of the canal until we got to Woodcock Lane bridge climb up the winding steep path the top then into Clay Lane past the CO-OP laundry and up the Lane to home by The Swan pub, the houses in Clay Lane were built circa 1937-38 i remember it as having a big farm and just fields. Len.

Thanks Len, on the other Woodcock Lane bridge over the GWR/BR(W) railway was cobblers shop on the canal end, hard to imagine now when you look at the site, I can still hear the noise of his belt driven machine that ran all day.

I used to walk over that bridge every day when I worked for W.J.Law. They were situated just of the bridge in Clay Lane.

What did they do--and do you remember the goat that was sometimes tethered by the canal, belonged to the house in the woods by the canal

I dont remember the goat, that must have been before my time. W.J.Law were demolition and builders merchants. I started there in the late fifties and drove a J.4. pick-up. I delivered sand, cement and re-claimed timber that was cut to size. As you went off the bridge onto Clay lane, the yard was on the right. One son Bill lived above the shop in the yard. The other son lived with the parents in a cul-de-sac off Lincoln Rd, his name was Johnny and he boxed for the Austin.

Malvern, when I say the goat was before my time what I meant was that if we went to the canal swimming, we used to go from Lincoln Road by Lesters, so I did not use the bridge.

I used drive up The Avenue? turn left over the railway bridge (until it was made no entry) into Woodcock Lane, turn right along Warwick Rd to Acocks Green Village island, up Westley Rd and then along Shaftmoor Lane to work at Joseph Lucas. Len.

I also did a short stint at Shaftsmoor lane Len. I was in BW4 on the heavy press as a trainee setter

I can remember all of the above threads,where W Laws site was used to be a couple of pig farms on your right as you walked down the path towards Lincoln Road On your right was the Co op laundry if you carried on down Clay lane towards the cemetry opposite the laundry was the stables for the laundry horses, that land was taken over by the Law family and the stables were used as repair shops for cranes etc the company was known as Acocks Green Demolition or AGD. I also remember the old house that was situated in the woods by the canal bridge it was SPOOKY we used to play there as kids.I remember the laundry was painted with camoflage paint owing to the fact I believe that the Germans were trying to bomb the Rover works the site is now a smallish housing estate The Journeys End pub is still there by the Lyndon Dells I can also remember that behind the pub was a lot of open ground,that too is now a couple of small cul de sacs and small housing estates. Oh how its changed since I was a lad LOL

Hi Stitcher
When was it you worked for Billy Law. I worked for them in the 1960's and had some great times with Johnny Law who was our gaffer over the Demolition side of it. I Think young Billy ran the Plant Hire / Building side and the old Man only lived around the Corner. It was Called A.G.D. Acocks Green Demolition Co in those days..............
Walt......

Harris & Sheldon Shopfitters, occupy the buildings on the site fronting the Woodcock Lane canal /The Avenue corner, Lesleys fuel suppliers was there but have been gone a few years now it is now a car wash, H & S did hire canal barges ( all mod cons!) for holidays but had to give up because they had to spend so much time going out to get holidaymakers out of trouble, they are still there and do work for different companies. Len.

Last edited:
I lived in Lincoln Road North from when I was bornin 1953 until I was about 8 and that bridge always held a great fascination for me - I remember walking by it on the way to the Holy Souls School or to go shopping in Acocks Green with my mother and little brother. I also used to love the bridge over the railway in Woodcock Lane and it made my day if a train went by as I was standing on it at the time and got enveloped in smoke/steam. There was also a donkey kept in a field beside the rail track. Bernadette

Dear Paul Whalley,
I attended Acocks Green School 1947 to 1957. Played soccer for The juniors & seniors,remembering all the teachers very well.As I used to live in Clay Lane every day when in the seniors I would ride my Bicycle over the canal bridge.
I would love to find any old school mates or fellow team mates during that time,
Roger Padfield

Back