• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Won't accept password

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any ideas about my new Chrombook. Have just purchased it (Acer 315) as a backup. However, when I turn it on and tryto connect to my home system (which has 2 laptops and a printer working ok on it, the new machine keeps claiming that it is a bad password. this is the password that is written on the router and works for the other machines !!

No problem with your keyboard? Caplocks? Some key doing something differently? Presumably all is OK with a wired connection.

Chris

Dont think it is any of these . Cant check the keyboard as it is chrombook and dont think I can access anything till I get online. Not sure if I can connect by wire

Dont think it is any of these . Cant check the keyboard as it is chrombook and dont think I can access anything till I get online. Not sure if I can connect by wire
Have you tried connecting via the WPS button on your router? John.

Will have to see into that, though not sure if I have a wps button. will try and see, but will not be able to fiddle till thursday as am away till then
Sorry but am not aware of a router manager . Bit ignorant. It is a virgin router.

I guess the obvious things are:

1) Are you connecting to the right Router (yours and not a neighbours).

Virgin routers tend to have long complex (but similar looking) default names (which is why I changed the name of mine) and your Chromebook may list them all in "signal strength" order but NOT with yours at the top. Make sure you are connecting to YOUR ROUTER (you can verify this on one of your other laptops or a smartphone to see what Router they are connected to).

2) Have you or anyone else changed the Virgin router wi fi password (I have done this on my Virgin Router)?

3) Are you typing in the case correctly? Default Router passwords are often a mix of lower and upper case letters.

4) Is the keyboard set up as a UK keyboard?

Different countries round the world use different letters on their keys from UK. If the keyboard is NOT set up as a UK keyboard then while you may be pressing a certain key the computer may be "seeing" it as a different key.

Go in to the keyboard settings in the Chromebook and verify it is UK. Also verify the "Region" (or similar setting) is UK. Turn on and off to pick up these new settings.

Does the Chromebook have a "display password" option as you type it in?

5) Try disconnecting one of your existing devices from the router (like a smartphone or laptop) and then reconnecting to make sure you have the wi fi name and password correct.

They are the main things I can think of.

thank you for your suggestions. I am sure it is the right router and password. Unfortunately, as it is a Chromebook, it will not do or access anything until it has woken up and connected, so cannot check any items wrt the machine. It does not seem to be able to display password as you put it in, just a load of asterisks. Am going back to John Lewis tomorrow to see if they have any suggestions.

Perhaps it might pay to have a USB to Ethernet adapter handy just in case you have wifi trouble in the future. Usually gives a guaranteed connection. They are £15 or less.

Will consider that, though, for then purposes I had intended to use it, it would not be next to the router

Just checked, and, unless there is an ethernet cable with a much smaller sized "plug" at one end. here is not port for this

If the Chromebook has a full size usb socket you would probably need something like below ...

Hopefully JL can demonstrate the wifi working by logging in to their shop router.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions. Now: Mea Culpa. It was me, or rather my eyesite. Although I read the password correctly putting my laptop online, this time rn (small r, small n) looks very like m

Back