• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Womens Hospital History and development

Tait's old house in Burbury Street. The paint flaked Pillars are still there, although it is now split into 3 separate business premises.

I finally found a good photo of the old Loveday Street Maternity Hospital, from whence we migrated to the Edgbaston site in 68. Courtesy of the lovely Wendy and to a Barbara Clarke, to whom I am indebted once more...

Last edited:
Has anyone got a photo of Dr Joe Jordan he was wonderful when my third Baby was delivered and would like photos to keep of him and also Dr John Kelly..

Afternoon All
Redditch Hospital have closed their Maternity Unit. Expectant moms are now offered, Birmingham Womens Hospital, Solihull Hospital, Worcester Hospital and Warwick Hospital. If babies in a hurry its a long way to some of these hospitals. If Birmingham Womens Hospital is full where do you choose to go. My Grand Daughter was born in the waiting room of Worcester Hospital. Have to say the staff were brilliant dealing with a birth on the floor. Are their any more plans to close maternity hospitals. This I know has happened a lot in Wales and the journey can be 40 miles or more.
Perhaps we need to take a closer look at health care programmes.
Best wishes...Gerald
Garden Gerald.

I have just found that one too, thanks so much, I am searching for one as I knew them both back in 1973 but recon they are few and far between

I understand my Gt Grandfather (surname Hopkins) was Clerk of Works on building for the Women's Hospital but I'm afraid we don't have any more information.

hi sparks what was your gt grandfathers first name..you never know there maybe some info about him

lyn

I don't know Lyn, I'll have to ask my mother when I speak to her next - but thanks.

Edit to add; I spoke to Mom at the weekend, she thinks his name was Francis John Hopkins.

Last edited:
Can anyone help? I am researching the Birmingham cytology training school set up in the 1960s which I believe was at the Women’s Hospital.

In particular, I am researching a rare piece of equipment used in the 1960s in automated cervical screening and I know there was one in Birmingham. The Vickers 'Autotape' apparatus. I am also interested in the training of cyto technicians in those early days of screening…

Can anyone help? I am researching the Birmingham cytology training school set up in the 1960s which I believe was at the Women’s Hospital.

In particular, I am researching a rare piece of equipment used in the 1960s in automated cervical screening and I know there was one in Birmingham. The Vickers 'Autotape' apparatus. I am also interested in the training of cyto technicians in those early days of screening…

Only just seen this...I ran the Cytology Training School at the Matty since 1968 when it opened! Before that we were down the Drive in the Research block from 1960.....we got our Training School status in 1963....worked with Dr Di Rimmer on the accursed Vickers Machine for some time....and others like it much later....can I be of help now still?

PHOT Space Dept Machine.jpgVickers Schematic.jpgAutomationBMH Style.jpg

Only just seen this...I ran the Cytology Training School at the Matty since 1968 when it opened! Before that we were down the Drive in the Research block from 1960.....
Only just seen this...I ran the Cytology Training School at the Matty since 1968 when it opened! Before that we were down the Drive in the Research block from 1960.....we got our Training School status in 1963....worked with Dr Di Rimmer on the accursed Vickers Machine for some time....and others like it much later....can I be of help now still?
In 1868 and 1869 Mr Ross Jordan and three friends - Drs George Jones, James Neale, and the delightfully named Lumbley Earle – became convinced of the necessity for a hospital to be entirely devoted to the alleviation of conditions and ailments peculiar to women. The effort was at first unsuccessful but undaunted, Mr Ross Jordan successfully enlisted the interest of Mr Arthur Chamberlain, who undertook the duties of Honorable Secretary. With the aid and support of a number of his friends, among others being Mr Joseph Chamberlain (naturally), Dr Heslop, George Dawson (of course), Arthur Ryland, Charles Vince, Dr Samuel Berry, and Joseph Nettlefold (inevitably) in 1871 the Birmingham and Midland Hospital for Women became an accomplished fact.

No 8, The Crescent, a large House near the municipal centre of Birmingham, was bought and adapted to accommodate out-patients, and an in-patient department of eight beds. It was next door to the recently opened Training School for Nurses. In the following year, No 7 The Crescent was also bought and in 1876, three small wards were built in the garden at the rear. More to follow...

View attachment 81488 View attachment 81487 View attachment 81490 View attachment 81489
Hi Dennis
I work at the ‘new’ (ageing, decrepit and underinvested) Women’s Hospital opened in 1968. I was unaware it was called the Maternity Hospital at the time, and nobody seems to know (or care) much about the history of the current place. Would you care to share any recollections (the original building has been extended several times since you started there, of course)?

I am particularly interested to know whether the Norton Court residential buildings next to the hospital (which are currently being demolished) were there at the time or when they were built- and what their purpose was at the time? I have been in when it was a functional space- truly an eyesore inside and out, and I for one am glad it is gone, but would be keen to know about that complex too as there doesn’t seem to be anything online.

Well yes...Norton Court was built same time as new Matty ..1968...it just housed Nurses, Docs and other workers...no other admin or medical uses....it gradually adopted some Hospital functions, but not many that I can recall...I left in 1997.....hope this helps....

When I worked there Norton Court gradually moved from being predominately residential to probably 50 - 50 office space housing amongst others: finance; Women's and Children's NHS Supplies; facilities directorate management; Medical Physics and probably others I can't recall. I haven't been down there for some time now and didn't realise it was being demolished!

Well yes...Norton Court was built same time as new Matty ..1968...it just housed Nurses, Docs and other workers...no other admin or medical uses....it gradually adopted some Hospital functions, but not many that I can recall...I left in 1997.....hope this helps....
Cheers Dennis. It wasn't the most inspirational building, but must have seen its share of history.

When I worked there Norton Court gradually moved from being predominately residential to probably 50 - 50 office space housing amongst others: finance; Women's and Children's NHS Supplies; facilities directorate management; Medical Physics and probably others I can't recall. I haven't been down there for some time now and didn't realise it was being demolished!
Cheers Jonny. Yes, they started demolishing the building a few months ago and almost all of its 5 blocks are now gone. As I understand, it came down a lot quicker than expected as the build quality was very poor! I believe from internal staff communications we receive it will be completely levelled in about a month or two from now.

Back