• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Womens Hospital History and development

Dennis Williams

Proud Brummie
Tait's old house in Burbury Street. The paint flaked Pillars are still there, although it is now split into 3 separate business premises.

Dennis Williams

Proud Brummie
I finally found a good photo of the old Loveday Street Maternity Hospital, from whence we migrated to the Edgbaston site in 68. Courtesy of the lovely Wendy and to a Barbara Clarke, to whom I am indebted once more...

Last edited:

mysterymermaid

Mermaid from Brum!
Has anyone got a photo of Dr Joe Jordan he was wonderful when my third Baby was delivered and would like photos to keep of him and also Dr John Kelly..

gardengerald

master brummie
Afternoon All
Redditch Hospital have closed their Maternity Unit. Expectant moms are now offered, Birmingham Womens Hospital, Solihull Hospital, Worcester Hospital and Warwick Hospital. If babies in a hurry its a long way to some of these hospitals. If Birmingham Womens Hospital is full where do you choose to go. My Grand Daughter was born in the waiting room of Worcester Hospital. Have to say the staff were brilliant dealing with a birth on the floor. Are their any more plans to close maternity hospitals. This I know has happened a lot in Wales and the journey can be 40 miles or more.
Perhaps we need to take a closer look at health care programmes.
Best wishes...Gerald
Garden Gerald.

mysterymermaid

Mermaid from Brum!
I have just found that one too, thanks so much, I am searching for one as I knew them both back in 1973 but recon they are few and far between

A Sparks

master brummie
I understand my Gt Grandfather (surname Hopkins) was Clerk of Works on building for the Women's Hospital but I'm afraid we don't have any more information.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi sparks what was your gt grandfathers first name..you never know there maybe some info about him

lyn

A Sparks

master brummie
I don't know Lyn, I'll have to ask my mother when I speak to her next - but thanks.

Edit to add; I spoke to Mom at the weekend, she thinks his name was Francis John Hopkins.

Last edited:

Chris Gowing

Can anyone help? I am researching the Birmingham cytology training school set up in the 1960s which I believe was at the Women’s Hospital.

In particular, I am researching a rare piece of equipment used in the 1960s in automated cervical screening and I know there was one in Birmingham. The Vickers 'Autotape' apparatus. I am also interested in the training of cyto technicians in those early days of screening…

Dennis Williams

Proud Brummie
Can anyone help? I am researching the Birmingham cytology training school set up in the 1960s which I believe was at the Women’s Hospital.

In particular, I am researching a rare piece of equipment used in the 1960s in automated cervical screening and I know there was one in Birmingham. The Vickers 'Autotape' apparatus. I am also interested in the training of cyto technicians in those early days of screening…

Only just seen this...I ran the Cytology Training School at the Matty since 1968 when it opened! Before that we were down the Drive in the Research block from 1960.....we got our Training School status in 1963....worked with Dr Di Rimmer on the accursed Vickers Machine for some time....and others like it much later....can I be of help now still?

PHOT Space Dept Machine.jpgVickers Schematic.jpgAutomationBMH Style.jpg