• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Womens Christian Holiday Home Aston

The 1908 Kelly's lists Young Women's Christian Association and Home at 17 Crescent. That doesn't mean a thing to me.
Did a bit more and it lists Crescent, King Edward's Road to Cambridge Street.

Last edited:
No that is not that Crescent, the layout is wrong and there are a line of houses to the far left, which are not at 17 The Crescent in Kellys

In 1891 the headquarters of the association was at 17 Easy Row, and there was a hostel in Barwick St. I cannot imagine this was either of those central places. Are we sure it was in Birmingham Lyn?

Kellys lists the Barwick st hostel in 1892 as the Girl's Friendly Society. Cannot find that in the 1908 Kellys

No that is not that Crescent, the layout is wrong and there are a line of houses to the far left, which are not at 17 The Crescent in Kellys
I was dubious but that is where it lists the Home. with secy Mrs Ada Hodges.
Page 98 of 1908 Kelly's. Alternative is that it is not in Birmingham. I can't read the name on what looks like a street sign.

Last edited:
Below is an aerial view of the Crescent with 17 marked. you will see what I mean when I say I do not think it is the Crescent

Attachments

• aerial view of crescent with 17 marked.jpg
    aerial view of crescent with 17 marked.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 12
mike i will check to see if there is more info from the person who sent it to me..must admit when i first looked at it it did not have the look of aston about it...

lyn

this is the back of the postcard from e bay..maybe the seller just assumed that the home was in aston as that is what he is saying on the description...it was sent to someone in bevington road which certainly was in our aston..

Attachments

• rear of card.jpg
    rear of card.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 19
Below is an aerial view of the Crescent with 17 marked. you will see what I mean when I say I do not think it is the Crescent
I agree - according to Kelly's the YWCA listed is at 17 Crescent but it would seem that the photo is of a different home.

Interesting photograph.
The postmark on the card is Aston so it must have been posted there but the house doesn't look like it was in Aston, more Moseley, Handsworth Wood or an area like that?

I got the magnifying glass out but I can't read any of the print!

I tried that as well, especially that sign at the side of the house as I thought it was a road name. The problem is the only "home" lsted in Birmingham in 1908 Kelly's is the one at 17 Crescent. There are no homes listed at Moseley or Handsworth. I wonder if it was bought on a visit and used later.

no i cant read it either janice..personally i dont think its taken in birmingham..could be wrong though

lyn

Back