• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Women in industry WW1 and WW2

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This link to the Imperial War Museum site contains many photographs of women in industry during the WW1 and 2. They are drawn from across the country and cover may occupations and industries. They may be of interest to family historians or to those just wanting to browse. There are several photos of women at work in Birmingham factories from WW1 and WW2 on there for those interested.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=women++in+industry&submit=&items_per_page=10

Just type into the search function 'women in industry birmingham' Sorry can't download photos from the site for some reason. Who knows, you might just recognise someone in these photos!!

Viv.

Thanks, Viv. Interesting link.

(I've taken the liberty of extending your thread title to include WW2).

Chris

Thanks, Viv. Interesting link.

(I've taken the liberty of extending your thread title to include WW2).

Chris

Thanks Chris, that's better! Taken some screenshots of the Birmingham photos. Will try to post below. Ah ha, success this time! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349091345.425841.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349091356.253848.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349091365.627075.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349091377.840615.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349091390.703910.jpg

Two more photos of women in industry during the Second World War. First,gentle persuasion to encourage other women to work in factories. Second is of volunteer women messengers in the Auxiliary Fire Service. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349194186.656395.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349194204.780025.jpg

My Mum was at the Austin working on the planes which is where she met my Dad before he joined up - she tells me she was standing up on the wing at the time when he 'wolf whistled' her!

My Mum also worked there on the planes it was called the Areo then, she lived at Rubery so not far to travel.

Yes Paul. I too think it's an interesting record.

Mrs B and the Smiths - you might like to see this Dame Laura Knight painting of bomber construction at Austin Longbridge. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350935623.180852.jpg

There's no doubt about it Viv, if it had not been for the unstinting effort, and hard work, by the women folk of both WW1 & WW2, things would have been a lot grimmer for all of our people here in the UK.
paul

The Imperial War museum exhibition was really interesting, even my then 11 year old was fascinated by it,as well as the "Terrible trenches" attraction
Well worth a visit if you are in London,fairly easy to get to from Euston too.
Sue

A 1917 munitions worker at Kynoch's. Is the white curtain there for a reason, other than for the photograph? Viv.
image.jpeg

Possibly for security , if there was something behind that they did not want people to see (or o use to identify where it was if there were views from a window

The Imperial War Museum has a vast archive of photographic material relating to women workers in Birmingham. Here are a few of the images that are available for public viewing.

These images have a Non-Commercial licence that states:

You can download low-resolution, watermarked files from the IWM website free of charge, for private and non-commercial use under the IWM Non-Commercial Licence.

Female workers preparing aeroplane frames for canvas, in a factory in Birmingham, September 1918.

large_000000.jpg

Back