• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Woman's Auxiliary Police Force Birmingham

Royston

knowlegable brummie
Was the Women’s Auxiliary Police Force formed just for the war years 1939 to 1946 ?
The attached photo is unique by the fact that it is signed on the reverse by all ten ladies with their “WA” police number.
Unfortunately we have no way of linking names to faces, unless you know better ?

Can anyone explain why they wore hats with white trim.
There are photos of them having drill practice together with Police Cadets. Perhaps they too were Cadets and not fully fledged Police women? All were in the City of Birmingham force.

Regards R0Y

Attachments

• BFH 252 Womens Aux Police.jpg
    BFH 252 Womens Aux Police.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • BFH 253 Womens Aux Police Signatures.jpg
    BFH 253 Womens Aux Police Signatures.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
Was the Women’s Auxiliary Police Force formed just for the war years 1939 to 1946 ?
The attached photo is unique by the fact that it is signed on the reverse by all ten ladies with their “WA” police number.
Unfortunately we have no way of linking names to faces, unless you know better ?

Can anyone explain why they wore hats with white trim.
There are photos of them having drill practice together with Police Cadets. Perhaps they too were Cadets and not fully fledged Police women? All were in the City of Birmingham force.

Regards R0Y
Could be an interesting thread. Thanks.

John Reijlly, in his book "An Account of 150 years of Policing Birmingham" states that the Women's Auxiliary Police Corps (WAPC) was formed on 29thOct 1941, initially 50 women, paid £2-7shillings a week and had a similar uniform to the Women's Auxiliary Fire Service. Maximum strength was 142, and it was disbanded on 31st March 1946, though after that several remained in secretarial duties.

Very nice picture. The WAPC played an important role supporting Birmingham City police. Mainly used for clerical duties during the war. There were other auxiliaries also during WWII such as the Police Auxiliary messenger (PAMS) First Police Reserve (FPR) Police War Reserve (PWR) and of course the Special Constables. A little known fact is that the police also recruited special constables to perform the role of the Observer Corps for use in spotting hostile aircraft however this went over to the military before hostilities started. All of these roles are discussed in a book called 'Condition Red' Air Raid Imminent sold in the West Midlands Police museum shop https://www.wmpeelers.com/product-p...raid-imminent-policing-birmingham-during-wwii

Steve R

hi steve if you remember some time ago i told you about lovely large framed photograph i have title the spirit of policing..west midlands police edition no 1...showing a policeman helping 4 children over the road no date but i would think taken in the 1940s..i was told it was taken somewhere in nechells and on the back it has the name and address of the company who framed it ...i dont have any room for it here but i am quite happy to donate it to the police museum..if you are interested i could try and take a photograph of it and post it on here...just let me know

lyn

Hello Lyn

Thank you for the offer of this and something I would like to take you up on. We have the original statue in the museum which will feature at the Lock Up when the work is done to transform it into the museum. We are currently emptying the building waiting for a starting date for the building works in the near future. I will contact you and arrange collection. The museum are always interested in policing pictures.

Steve R

Back