• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wolverhampton Former Tram And Bus Garage Demolition

horsencart

master brummie
Greetings

Not in our area but still may be of interest to the Midlands, early next year 2017 work will start on the demolition of Cleveland Road Tram and Bus garage, to make way for houses , at the moment it is/was being used as a car park, but not for much longer I suspect,

a sad day to come Horsencart, when it happens. I'm old enough in Wolverhampton to remember trolley buses popping in and out of that building-and either breaking down once in the open-air or either on their last legs inward and not quite able to finish their days' service.
More memories on here www.blackcountryhistory.org using the search box (e.g buses or Cleveland) on the home page.

Sad news that another bus garage is for demolition. Something being overlooked is that behind Cleveland Road garage is the much older (Cleveland Road was demolished and rebuilt in 1977) Bilston Street Garage which I presume is also condemned to demolition. It carries the lettering Wolverhampton Corporation Transport Department on its perimeter wall along whats now called Bilston Road, i'm hoping that the wall at least will be saved from the bulldozer.

Simon

It was still there in 2011 https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofar...pPr-mFZcqb-mFWUP8-mFYANW-mFYHAJ-mFZ9iu-mFXL78

Sad news that another bus garage is for demolition. Something being overlooked is that behind Cleveland Road garage is the much older (Cleveland Road was demolished and rebuilt in 1977) Bilston Street Garage which I presume is also condemned to demolition. It carries the lettering Wolverhampton Corporation Transport Department on its perimeter wall along whats now called Bilston Road, i'm hoping that the wall at least will be saved from the bulldozer.

Simon

I really hope both of those signs/plaques are saved and displayed somewhere suitable. Attached are my photos of the perimeter wall of Bilston Street Garage showing the lettering, again I really hope this wall is retained and incorporated into any new development. I know this thread is straying outside the geographical area of the forum so apologies to admins.

Simon

Attachments

• IMG_1895.JPG
    IMG_1895.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1894.JPG
    IMG_1894.JPG
    345.7 KB · Views: 13
I work with quite a few people who worked in that garage, they all say that they miss working there......I only visited it a couple of times in the early 1990's when delivering bus parts.....

I work with quite a few people who worked in that garage, they all say that they miss working there......I only visited it a couple of times in the early 1990's when delivering bus parts.....

Those dates would make sense alright Aston Lad as it closed as a bus garage on 30th October 1993, all operations transferred to Park Lane which re-opened the following day.

Simon

And that is where I have to work for my sins, been there since Jan 1998, via Tyburn Road, Perry Barr, Summer Lane, and Walsall, plus the odd day at Hockley...

Way back in the early sixties the Garage I worked for in Ryland Street reconditioned Wolverhampton corporation transports Gardner engines, I can remember collecting the old engines and delivering the reconditioned ones back to one of the Bus Garages in Wolverhampton, maybe it was the one referred to in this thread.

There used to be Three concrete signs in or outside the former garage at this moment in time there are just Two left both inside the garage the one that no longer exists it the one that was on the outside of the building " Wolverhampton Corporation Transport" ? something like that this is a view of the word Corporation in bits https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/33141407723/in/dateposted/

There now just Two Concrete signs left only one is thought to be saved "Out of Darkness Cometh Light" it is thought that this one will be saved ?) and go to the Black Country Museum, the other one that is also inside the building, it may not be saved ? mainly because of its size "Wolverhampton Tramway Department ?" may end up as builders dust? all I now have to do is edit the photos and video

Personally i'm outraged as that is the original wall of the old Bilston Street Garage dating back to 1931 and could easily have been incorporated into a new development. To smash up all that lovely lettering is a disgrace with no regard given to the transport heritage of the area. The lettering along what is now called Bilston Road read "Wolverhampton Corporation Transport Department".

Simon

Last edited:
It in now possible to see the sign "Municipal Tramways Car Depot" from the pavement but not for much longer https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/34260961106/in/dateposted/
it also appear that work has already started to disassemble the sign (not yet proved as yet) I have been in contact with Crich Tramway my hope is that it end up at either Crich or BCLM, the lower level of the former Bus Garage has now gorn as they have started on the upper of level, are the likely to find any tram tram or was that taken up ?

It appears that both signs are to go to the BCLM " I have had confirmation from Irene, head of collections at Black Country Museum, that they are having the long frieze as seen in your photo, as well as the smaller one you mentioned previously. "

Kind regards
Laura Waters

It is a shame that the one on the outside of the building was not saved

Back