• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wolseley Street Small Heath

Thanks for that Mikejee,much clearer now will get back to shelley 69.
Phil don,t suppose you know what number houses these were would you?
Thanks.:)

The map showing the area around Wolseley Street brought back some memories for me, (50s/1960s) it clearly shows the house where I lived in Gordon Street and the house where my wife lived in Artillery Street together with the little triangle of land at the corner of Gordon St./Wolseley St. where we used to meet by the phone box. Something else that we can show our Grandchildren.

i am sure that there are another 1 or 2 photos of this street somewhere on the forum

lyn

Hi bluemack I lived in Barwell road , I went to Ada road school and Tilton road school , I have photos of class pictures when I was in Ada road school in 1950s but no pictures of the teachers only on the group pictures. My sister had 2 friends who lived in your st Elain Rigg and Patrica humperies , do you know of them ? Acer
We used to live at 17 Wolseley Street. I was too young to remember much of those years there, but remember hearing her name mentioned many a time at family events. Pat was my sister Pauline's friend. I am the youngest of the Green family that lived on the street, till about 1966.

Last edited:
Hi Ray I remember your family but years have past and things fade. I do remember you and Janet. Glad you are ok
Jackie
Now this is a shot in the dark but is the Janet you're referring called Jan and did she move to Knowle? I worked with a woman called Jan in the early 2000s who told me she lived on Wolseley street.

Hello Enkidu nice to see this thread is still going. My family lived at number 84, the Tynans any one remember us ?
a few names I can recall are the Rickets the Sadlers the Molloys and the Hopkins.
My father Tommy used to drink in the Queens Head the Acorn and the Garrison, think I spent half my childhood
playing by the canal and the railway tracks .

Hello Enkidu nice to see this thread is still going. My family lived at number 84, the Tynans any one remember us ?
a few names I can recall are the Rickets the Sadlers the Molloys and the Hopkins.
My father Tommy used to drink in the Queens Head the Acorn and the Garrison, think I spent half my childhood
playing by the canal and the railway tracks .
Thanks for your reply. I was born in Toronto, Canada and only visited Birmingham 2 or 3 times when I was young, but I am researching my family tree. My grandfather John Cross was living on Wolseley Street in the 1901 census, so he must have bought it shortly after his return from service in Madras, India. It seems he lived there at number 81 until he died in 1955, with his three wives and 17 children; and I think my grandmother Nellie Cross continued to live there for some time after. My dad lived there until he left for Canada in 1956. I may have visited that place in 1965 if my grandmother was still living there, but I was only 6 years old and my memory is dim. My Dad says he remembers that the Malloys lived next door.

Hello Enkidu, your father has probably told you how small the house was we had a family of ten and that was a struggle
with only three very small bedrooms. We never had a bathroom, had to bring the tin bath in on Friday night to have a bath.
Did your father attend school whilst at Wolseley Street or was he too young.

This is Stephen. I actually did visit 81 Wolseley to see my grandmother Nellie in 1965 when I was 6 years old. I think she was living on her own by then, I do remember the house was dark and narrow and tall. The photos I have seen of Wollesley Street houses taken in 1982 do seem familiar. My father would have gone to the local school maybe from 1937-39. Then he was evacuated to Stratford-on-Avon until 1945. I presume he would have went to the local school again after that. He told me that half of the houses on the street were destroyed from bombing in WW2, probably due to the proximity to the railway.

He mentioned the following words (names?): Village Gunnings Gilmour Roe Ealing Hunt Rae Guest.

Hello Enkidu, your father has probably told you how small the house was we had a family of ten and that was a struggle
with only three very small bedrooms. We never had a bathroom, had to bring the tin bath in on Friday night to have a bath.
Did your father attend school whilst at Wolseley Street or was he too young.
My Dad sent me a photo of Garrisson Lane Junior and Infant School, which must mean he attended there.

Looking at the photo of the boarded up houses I think your fathers house was probably 5 houses further up.
You can see how close the railway tracks where and the canal would be at the end of his garden.
Wolseley Street is a modern housing estate now you may find it interesting to look on google maps
as the ariel view may shed more information.

Nellie and Ivy Cross are listed at 81 Wolseley St on the 1965 ER.
I understand she didn't move until about 1972. Maybe that is when they started to tear the places down? Anywany, there was a Cross family presence at that address for over 70 years.

does anyone have any memories of wolseley st small heath? i lived at number 94 from 1959 to about 1972 ish.also any photo,s of tilton rd school (teachers if possible) and ada rd school again teachers or pupils if poss.thanks in ancticipation.
Moons, aspreys and the wool shop further down road and a outdoor across from moons.

Back