• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wolseley Factory Adderley Park

Wolseley put all their effort into war service during WW1, from the very commencement of hostilities and throughout the entire war. But their advertising tells people that, although they were compelled to manufacture munitions at this time, private buyers could place their orders on a waiting list. Viv.

image.jpeg
May 1918

image.jpeg
March 1916

image.jpeg
May 1918

Last edited:
Interesting buildings. Is/was this part of the AdderleyPark site ? Postcard is dated 1909. Viv.

View attachment 124956
Vivienne,
Yes, these buildings were on the Adderley Park East Works site - Mill numbers 3 and 4, built in 1905.
Mill number 3, to the left, became part of the huge Shell Shop in 1914.
These buildings eventually became part of the Morris Commercial works in 1929, but were destroyed by bombing in WW2.
Boomy.

Post 2 details refer to Vickers as the owning company.
Radiorails,
Yes, Vickers Sons & Maxim set up the Wolseley Tool & Motor Car Co. Ltd., at Adderley Park in 1901 and were the owners of the Wolseley company until it went into Receivership in 1926, and was then bought by William Morris.
Boomy

I have the booklet that was issued to commemorate his visit.
A complete history of Wolseley at Adderley Park has recently been published called "The Real Wolseley - Adderley Park Works 1901 to 1926". This 242 page hardback book contains unique pictures and information, but is only available from the Wolseley Register on-line shop.
PA739

Attachments

• real cover.jpg
    real cover.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Hello, I am new here. I am looking for employment records for the works between 1907 and 1920. The reason is that my Great grandfather Albert Joseph Jones is listed on his marriage certificate and 1921 census was that he was a general labourer at Wolseley motors at Arden Road. I do not know much about his family. I am wondering if records exist that describe his next of kin, his working history and home address. I know he is from wales and was in Bordesley Green in 1920. I assumed he wasn’t conscripted as he has no war info, so he must have worked at the factory during WW1. Did they put the records online, did they get destroyed or are they in an archive somewhere in Birmingham? thank you!

Employment records are difficult to come across, especially that early.

Doesn't the 1921 census lists his address and doesn't his marriage certificate give his father's name.

Employment records are difficult to come across, especially that early.

Doesn't the 1921 census lists his address and doesn't his marriage certificate give his father's name.
Thank you yes, I have the address, his employment at Wolseley and his Father’s name. But nothing earlier ties up conclusively in records. It is a very common surname. They should be open now if they exist. They probably don’t! But I have to try.

Thank you yes, I have the address, his employment at Wolseley and his Father’s name. But nothing earlier ties up conclusively in records. It is a very common surname. They should be open now if they exist. They probably don’t! But I have to try.

Are you specifically looking for the employment records or are they a means to an end to trace Albert?

Are you specifically looking for the employment records or are they a means to an end to trace Albert?
A bit of both. Labourer is very general. I would like to build up a picture of the man and his life. There might be a photo of him. I know only what year he was born, his Father’s name his address in 1920-21 and I have his marriage and his death certificate. There is no trace of a birth certificate. The records are sparse.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
hi rachel and welcome...if you are researching your family history back and need help could you please start a new thread under our surname interests section of the forum...cheers

lyn

Back