• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wm Mills Bridge Street West

O

O.C.

Could you look at the Kelly's to see what factories were in Bridge St in the 1916-44 trying to find who made the Mills bombs (Hand Grenades ) I have a photo but it just says Bridge St on it
And Just realized no Kelly's for them dates

I don't know if this is of any help to you, but according to my 1962 Kelly's there was a Wm Mills, lifeboat release gear, manufacturers, in Bridge St West, Hockley. Just a thought. :-\

Cromwell
in the1949 Kelly's a Mills Wm.(Sunderland) Ltd.manufrs. are listed at 192,Bridge Street West (19),17 Farm Street Hockley to 265,Summer Lane
no. 192 is located on the south side between Hospital Street and Hospital Street ??????????next door to the Police Station.There are 4 Bridge Streets listed but it appears that the address should be Bridge Street West,
Hope that helps you,I now have this directory so,any look-up's add me to the list.

Colin

Mills bombs were indeed manufactured at Sir William Mills' factory in Bridge Street West as it is known today. The firm was known as William Mills (Sunderland) Ltd. My mother worked there from 1967 - 1983. Firstly as a book keeper/wages clerk and eventually became general manager until her medical retirement in 1983. The rear of the building used to butt against Brandauer's on New John Street.

I played at the factory often as a child in the school holidays. Health & Safety would have had a field day! During one of my forages into the bowels of the ancient building (now completely demolished) I discovered big wooden boxes that had strange heavy metal pineapples in them. I loved my pineapples and played with them for a whole week before I mentioned them to my mother, who seemed quite upset when I did.

Then the policemen came and made everyone leave the building and indeed everyone in the neighbouring factories and flats leave. I found out they were taking my pineapples away!

Happy days

Brunettandred, a lovely story and a little history thrown in thanks.

Cromwell
in the1949 Kelly's a Mills Wm.(Sunderland) Ltd.manufrs. are listed at 192,Bridge Street West (19),17 Farm Street Hockley to 265,Summer Lane
no. 192 is located on the south side between Hospital Street and Hospital Street ??????????next door to the Police Station.There are 4 Bridge Streets listed but it appears that the address should be Bridge Street West,
Hope that helps you,I now have this directory so,any look-up's add me to the list.

Colin

That's the one Colin. 192 Bridge Street West, next to the police station.

The company was bought out by a company called Offshore Marine of Gosport in the early 80s as it was producing Sir William Mills' patented lifeboat release gear. The old factory has long gone.

Back