• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Square

I was born in 1947 in Davey Road not far from Witton Road and used to shop there regularly. I remember there was an traffic island near the tram terminus, a pork butchers, a newsagents and the co-op and post office. I used to catch the bus into Birmingham City Centre near the island which I think was the No. 5. Along Witton Road, of what I can remember, there was a Fish and Chip Shop, another newsagents, a wool shop and on the corner was a shop called Darlingtons which sold mainly toys. Also on Witton Road was a shoe shop where my mother always bought my dancing shoes and which we called the "Last Pair Shop" because every time we bought any shoes there the owner always said that they were the last pair! On the opposite side was a greengrocers and opposite on the corner was a place called Wakelins where we had our celebration meal for the Coronation because it started raining.

I was born in 1947 in Davey Road not far from Witton Road and used to shop there regularly. I remember there was an traffic island near the tram terminus, a pork butchers, a newsagents and the co-op and post office. I used to catch the bus into Birmingham City Centre near the island which I think was the No. 5. Along Witton Road, of what I can remember, there was a Fish and Chip Shop, another newsagents, a wool shop and on the corner was a shop called Darlingtons which sold mainly toys. Also on Witton Road was a shoe shop where my mother always bought my dancing shoes and which we called the "Last Pair Shop" because every time we bought any shoes there the owner always said that they were the last pair! On the opposite side was a greengrocers and opposite on the corner was a place called Wakelins where we had our celebration meal for the Coronation because it started raining.

Going from Witton in the direction of town the bus usually carried the number 7 and went across to terminate in Portland Road. Going in the opposite direction towards Perry Common it was the number 5 and for a time there was a 5A. Short workings to town from Perry Common could have been 5 as well but somebody else here is bound to know.

Simon

Witton Arms.jpg

Witton Arms pub. Long time on Witton Circle. Became known in recent years as Cap & Gown. Now has returned to its original name.

Old photo of Witton shops taken from Aston Station.

Attachments

• Witton- Drinkapintamilkaday.jpg
    Witton- Drinkapintamilkaday.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 57
I used to catch the 5A and the 7 from 'The Spinney' at the junction of Witton Lodge Road and Court Lane. This was the terminus. The 5A went as far as Victoria Square and as you say the 7 carried on to Portland Road. The 5 only went as far as Witton Circle.

Just realised I should have made it clear that Witton Circle refers to the island in Witton Lodge Road. This has a playground in the middle and shops half-way round.

My memories from childhood are that outbound from the city, the 5 bus had a terminus at the large circle in Witton Lodge Rd and the 5a bus went on to a terminus at Court Lane.

The 'reply' instructions on this forum are unlike any others I've ever seen....but never mind.

With regard to the buses that ran along Witton Road to and from Town, there was indeed the No 7 to Portland Road and the No's 5 and 5A, which terminated in the centre of Birmingham. I went to George Dixon Grammar School at the intersection of City Road and Portland Road, Edgbaston, and would wait for the No 7 bus at the stop near Leslie Smith's Radio and TV shop on the corner of Witton Road and Bevington Road. If I missed it, or it was late, I'd hop onto a No 5 into town and get another bus (numnber forgotten, could have been No 9) in I think Navigation Street, which would take me to the junction of City Road and Bearwood Road. I never liked doing this, as it would usually mean I was late, and in those days that could spell Detention.

The mention of Darlington's on Witton Road (corner of Bevington Road opposite Leslie Smith's) brings back memories. That was where I'd get the latest Dinky Toys as they came out, and also bits and pieces of Meccano. I remember one Saturday I was looking in the window and someone from the shop asked me it I'd like to earn five bob - well, yes! It was at the height of the Hula-Hoop craze, and I helped this bloke put together what seemed like hundreds of hula-hoops, as demand was so high. I must have been good at it, as he gave me a ten bob note!

G

Hi graham
Nice to read your memories of the circle ,do you recall the billard hall just alongfrom there
And the main gate house of IMI /ICI our kid came lut of the forces and worked there on se urity gates
At that front gates,
Well graham its nice to have seen you back on here as you have not been on for along time
I know you have alot of general knowledge and informstion you can contibute to this forum
As i regard you as one of our old brigaid of this forum so please grah spare us some of ykour valuable time
Give my regards to maria best wishes Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,,

Looking down Witton Road, with the Witton Arms to the left. This image shows a basic circle of cobbles where the girl is standing. Looks like a waiting place for buses/trams? According to Mikes 1913 map (post #7) trams passed behind the photographer ie in front of the Aston Hotel. Sorry, no date but must be early 1900s. Viv.

image.jpeg

Pedrocut, I don't think that pole (which is identical to the one in front of the tram depot) would carry telephone lines, they were always wooden poles with steps (douglas fir or similar) and never in the centre of the road , I spent some time up and down poles during my service with PO Telephones (later BT). Eric

Pedrocut, I don't think that pole (which is identical to the one in front of the tram depot) would carry telephone lines, they were always wooden poles with steps (douglas fir or similar) and never in the centre of the road , I spent some time up and down poles during my service with PO Telephones (later BT). Eric

What are the thin wires dropping down from the structure? One is extending over to the Witton Arms. Of course they could be power lines, but the arguement of being in the centre of the road would still apply. The following picture of the Tram Sheds shows a similar pole which suggests that it may be concerned with power, also it seems to have the street lighting attached.

(The GPO seems to have been formed in 1912, so telephones were probably under the National Telephone Company)

Pedrocut, I was probably being a bit pedantic, sorry about that. The GPO was split into the Post Office and PO Telephones just after I joined in 1956. I appear to be going off thread somewhat so I had better shut up !!! Eric

Hi graham
Nice to read your memories of the circle ,do you recall the billard hall just alongfrom there
And the main gate house of IMI /ICI our kid came lut of the forces and worked there on se urity gates
At that front gates,
Well graham its nice to have seen you back on here as you have not been on for along time
I know you have alot of general knowledge and informstion you can contibute to this forum
As i regard you as one of our old brigaid of this forum so please grah spare us some of ykour valuable time
Give my regards to maria best wishes Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,,

Hi Alan,

thanks for your very kind comments! I felt I was spending way too much time on the computer, posting to a number of forums about various subjects, and missing out on my other interests. I have passed on your regards to Maire, and she says "Hi!"

I do remember very well the Billiard Hall on Witton Road close to the Circle. I only went in once, never again! It had a bad local reputation, well-deserved I'd say. I don't know what it is now, if it's still standing. The main gate of ICI/IMI was very impressive - at one time there was a branch of Lloyd's Bank adjacent to it, and for a few years I used it. Someone at the Bank told me that the building was once part of ICI, but I can't remember its function. The whole lot has gone now, of course.

All the best,

Graham

hi graham good to see you back ive missed your posts...hope you will come back from time to time:)

lyn

Back