• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Square

mossg

master brummie
Hi everyone,
When i was younger most people refered to Witton circle as WITTON SQUARE.
Does anyone remember it looking anything like a square?
Moss.

I am trying to recall whether there was a island in the middle or not. There was Aston pub, over the way Browns meat and pie shop, over from them co-op shop and coal merchants, then the witton arms, over from them a shoe shop by the no 5 and 7 bus stop then past the municiple bank and round to 39 bus termimus, opposite were I started the Aston. I lived there most of my early years till about 26 and cant for the life of me think if it was a circle in the middle, must have been something because the 39 stopped outside the Aston then went all the way round(was it an island) to the start outside the tram sheds

Hi everyone,
When i was younger most people refered to Witton circle as WITTON SQUARE.
Does anyone remember it looking anything like a square?
Moss.

Hi Moss, In the 1940/50s There was quite a large Traffic Island, There was Thompsons the butcher, a Newsagents, electrical shop, Barbers and a few others. Opposite were a few shops and a coal yard then around the corner the Pub ???

Got me guessing Moss as I can't remember either.:confused2: Pete is three years my senior and came from Witton road and he can't remember it without an island. Will ask my brother when I phone him as he is ten years older than myself and had a paper round from Redgates. Jean.

The 1913 map doesn't seem to show anything in the middle, and i would have expected it to if it was there
mike

witton_circle_or_square_1913.jpg

George, thompsons was lichfield road and browns was the pork butcher. The newsagents were redgates abd buckleys and the electrical shop was jollys. The bank was the municipal and there was a pallet yard next door. There was also a jewelers by the co op. Jean.

Jollys had a Telstar radio in for repair from me, never had it back, still have a pic of it (smile) it did travel

We always called it Witton Island, I can't recall a Fire Station next to the CoOp, but the main Witton Post Office was next to the coal yard. The day my sister was born in '47 I walked down to the PO with mom to telegram my aunt to come over as 'Baby Coming'. It started to snow soon after the birth and my aunt didn't get home for a while.

I was born in 1946 and Di would the post office still have been there when I was growing up as I can only remember the one in Manor road?. Jean.

I remember the Post Office in Manor Road as well. Not sure when it moved there. My Father who was from Wyreley Road always used to takeme there when I was visiting. He loved driving around his home area.

What was the shoe shop called I mentioned in my earlier post, I remember it had 2 rounded widows with a door on the middle set back, You could stand out of the cold in there while waiting for the 5 or 7 bus to take you to the Laccarnoo Monday nights

Thanks Patty,
At least Keith Berry remembers it as Witton Square,so i wasn't dreaming.
Moss.

Thanks for the link Patty. I have perused Keith Berrys site many times but always managed to miss the old Birmingham gems. They too brought many happy memories of the area, strangely enough Witton Rd hasnt changed that much. The photo of the catholic church brought back a sad memory. My mom and I were in a shop across the road from the church just as a women was knocked over and killed. Though only 4 at the time I knew she was dead as the ambulance men covered her head with a sheet before loading her. In those days there were no paramedics, just the "scoop and shoot".

Back