• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Witton Square

mossg all been on display at some point (thanks) Dave
Think that I said before in the 2nd pic that looks like my Mom post 31

Witton Lane looking down to the Witton Island, from the area of where my Grand Parents house was,

now Witton Lane Gardens :(

Jennyann that sure was a trip down memory lane. I remembered the jewelers it was owned by a Mr Davies. Thanks again Dave for the photo's. Jean.:)PS. Dave the rooms opposite the IMI were used by the St Johns ambulance at some time or other.

Last edited:
I bought my first tape recorder (reel to reel) at a shop which I think was called 'Jollys'. I still have the tape recorder in the loft ! I had recorded some of my son's early words from the 1970's on it and recently managed to get the recordings into my computer and then onto a CD.

Good Stuff oldMohawk, still have my reel to reel player, and tapes, but not from Jolly`s:)

Hi Dave: Thanks for the great photos. Do you have any idea when that photo of the Aston Hotel and the built up island at Witton Circle would have been?
Nice shot of Brown's the butchers and the newsagents. I used to buy my Reveille there sometimes.. Like your Avatar.
Patty; R

Sorry, my post suddenly jumped on to the thread by magic! Patty, I remember that building
across from the IMI gates being used for St. John's Ambulance training at one point but I am still trying to think of the other group that used it.

I had to keep at it until I remembered it was the Civil Defence group that used that building opposite IMI. Looks like the Civil Defence groups were disbanded after WW2 but then brought back three or four years later. They have helped in many tragic emergencies.

Thanks for the photos, The Keith Berry photo's of Witton being decimated make me feel sad. The circle looks grand with Browns the Pork Butchers and Jolly's. The Post Office was next to the coal yard in '47. I can't recall when it moved to Manor Road though.

Jenny sorry, no date on the pics, I believe late 50s early 60s, if only had a digital camera then, down there often, someone might help by looking at the transport :)

Come on our Dave I am looking forward to more if you can find them. Brought back so many happy memories seeing Witton the way it used to be. Jean.

that pic of IMI post 31, the window with the curtain on that's where my dad used to be, he was WP 49 and always had very shinny buttons on his uniform and perfectly shone shoes. It was a ritual in our house to get the blacking box out and the brushes and a special tool for cleaning his buttons every night, I was allowed to help him only sometimes though

Visited the Tram Museum in 2006, should have took more pics then, these two from inside the Museum, they might have pics of Witton Island, a visit is called for

:)

Few pics from the Tram Museum, one outside just shows a bit to the left towards the island:(

Patty, I don't remember the lingerie shop you mentioned, but there was a nice ladies shop in Tame Road or the road to the right of it where I would buy underwear, blouses and jumpers from when I worked at Wolseley Engineering in Electric Avenue, it was near a barber shop.

Jenny, I think the bank opposite the Aston Hotel, the same side as the tram depot was a Birmingham Municipal branch.

yes Sylvia it was the municipal I had a oval money box from there, you had to fill it up and then take it down to have it put into your bank book. The shop that sold the nightie's also sold other things jumpers gloves scarfs ect, you would remember it the 5 and 7 bus stop was outside it going the opposite way from town and Richards was just up above. The snooker hall was just opposite, Graingers is coming into my head I dont know why or something like that

Think you might be right pat. I saw this lovely white nightie with a bolero top comented to pete and he went back and bought it for me. I was horrible and said i would have prefered a dress hence to say that was the first and last sexy item of clothing he bought me:rolleyes:. Must have taken guts for him to go and buy it. Jean.

I will never forget the Post Office in Manor Road, I went to the Witton on an errand for my nan and as I passed the entry by the Post Office a man exposed himself, boy did I run home fast, I can laugh about it now.
Denise

Moss was that the jewelers owned by Mr Davies?. I am confusing myself now Moss but that doesn't take much these days. Jean.

This is an area i didn,t know to well as a youth being an educated Nechellite with lots of culture i was told not to go down that end because it was to rough and we always did what mommy told us. Dek:D:D:rolleyes:

The only dress shop I remember in Witton was Emms, over the road from the Xray.
Patty the shoe shop was I think Smiths.
John Houghton posted all the shops from Six Ways down to ICI. I'll look to see if it is still on the forum.

I remember a shop called Partners on Witton Road that sold women's clothes, etc. I remember that it was the Muncipal Bank
and not Lloyd's on the Circle on the No.39 into town bus stop side. Lloyds wouldn't have had two banks so close to each other. Thanks for that. I remember going in the Municipall Bank once to cash some travellers cheques and they gave me a very hard time even though I had my passport which was signed, of course. I always headed into town to Thomas Cook's after that. They didn't charge any cashing fees. Thank goodness we don't have to use traveller's cheques anymore.

On the 1917 edition OS Map for Aston Manor there is the Pavilion Electric Theatre positioned next to the Aston Hotel in Witton Road.

Anyone know anything about the Theatre?

Regards Peter

Back