• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Square

My parents used that TSB branch in the photo and I spent many a night hanging around the Aston Hotel in the other picture and indeed Witton Circle itself. I also used those phone-box's lots of times!
I used the Aston Hotel as I was always in Witton, was born in Witton Road between the ICI gates and Holdford drive, also used the phone boxes to phone my girlfriend who lived in Colchester, later to become my wife, I live in Ireland now but always visit Witton when we come back, not the same as when I was a kid though.

Witton Square mid 1970s. The bus is approaching Witton Road, towards Brookvale Road, The Aston Hotel pub can be seen to the left behind the bus.

29342221_10208509722180557_5072654367220752361_n.jpg
Witton Square Mid 70s.jpg

Last edited:
nice photo BB..oh how i loved the old buses....brings back happy memories of playing dare devils by hanging onto the back hand rail when going round corners and jumping off before my stop :Despecially on the no 8 its still running down the old end (nursery road) and i often take a trip on it past villa st where i grew up...happy days indeed....ps even if i could i would not attempt that now lol

lyn

Lyn, I always got a tremendous feeling of satisfaction making that leap and grabbing the bar of the bus as it was pulling away but I still remember how cold they were downstairs in those 'proper' winters of the 1960s!

Not quite Witton Square, but close. I made a visit to my aunt who was born in Manor Road.

Does anyone remember a corner shop with a Mrs Spittle, and an air raid shelter in the small church at the junction with Station Road.

Are the any old pictures of Manor Road?

Only one i can remember was Richards on witton rd. Does anyone remember the fire engine going into the co op window, me and my dad were on the witton at the time and dad being a member of the St Johns helped with the injured, I had to just stand there and watch it was very gory

7913DF72-10DB-4B36-8F41-4043BAD02B60.jpeg331B4516-C41D-4874-949D-0132E8C2D992.jpeg

Attachments

• B97444BD-4CFB-4FCC-B0AC-5D2F5A08F41E.jpeg
    B97444BD-4CFB-4FCC-B0AC-5D2F5A08F41E.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 29
The presence of a mechanic and driver suggests that the turntable ladder vehicle was on a road test and not attending a fire call. Quite a mess it made of the building it hit. I wonder how long it took to repair the damage and get the shop and accommodation open for business again?

Re: Photo No 1 on Post 163, I was at Canterbury Road Infants with one of the Gamwell family who owned the engineering and ironwork company. If memory is correct I think his name was Richard. There was also, I believe, a solicitor who was a member of the Gamwell family and whose office was on the same site. May have mentioned this before, but just past the bank to the left of the Gamwells is the entrance to a firm of tea-chest and shipping container manufacturers owned by a Mr Shorthouse, a good friend of my father's.

All these photos of Witton Square bring back some very distant, but still vivid, memories.

G
Hi. I know this is an old thread but thought I’d reply anyway! Richard Gamwell is my great uncle. My grandad Doug owned the engineering firm. One of his sons (my dad) was the solicitor who worked out of the office there.

Last edited:
I remember Gamwell engineering very very well. The proprietor lived on the Walsall road by the Crematorium. He drove a Blue Ford Granada Ghia Back in the day. Doug made me a set of custom loudspeaker stands.

Not quite Witton Square, but close. I made a visit to my aunt who was born in Manor Road.

Does anyone remember a corner shop with a Mrs Spittle, and an air raid shelter in the small church at the junction with Station Road.

Are the any old pictures of Manor Road?
Yes I remember Mrs Spittle, she had a dog cannot remember it’s name but very friendl. AC

Back