• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WITTON ROAD

Hi JulieR, welcome. A good place to start maybe to post the image of you have of great-grandfather in his coal yard. The members here are exceptionally good at finding locations.

Hi
I just happened by chance on a forum about Witton and was interested because I'm doing my family tree and my Great grandfather Henry Brown had a coalyard at Witton, I think quite a few of my family are buried in Witton cemetery, I have a photo of him with his horses in the coalyard. He died in 1910 and I believe some of the family had farms in the area before it was built up, I know there was a Kingstanding farm and Yew tree farm. I have an old map of Birmingham but have not located any of them yet.

Would your ggf be the Henry Brown, coal merchant, Lichfield Road ?

There is a Henry Brown, 234, Witton Lane, coal merchant in 1890.

Last edited:
hi julie and welcome.. if you are able to post it on this thread it would be lovely to see that photo of your grandad at his coalyard in witton..

:)
if you need any help with your family ancestry..ie gt grandad henry brown could i suggest that you start new thread under the surname interests section of the forum

lyn

Last edited:
Pic 2 c/o Witton Road/Albert looks like the old Art School I went to in 1947/8, could be wrong, it was over 70 years ago. Eric

Does anybody remember the 'corn' shop on the corner of Witton Road and Manor Road? I had an amazing smell inside probably as a result of stocking all mom manner of feeds and hay etc. My most vivid memory was being in the shop as a ten year old with Mom on Christmas Eve 1959 when the proprietor of the described in almost forensic detail the dreadful circumstances surrounding the Stephanie Baird murder which occurred on the previous night. It made a long lasting impression on me but I often wondered how she knew so much about the case particularly as the press in those days were far more restrained in the reporting of the details of such events. I guess kids these days have to deal with exposure to far more graphic stuff that they can access on Youtube etc. Some people, I suppose, would say it is all part of growing up!

Yea I did upgrade to one of those pea firing pistols I forget there name they came with 50 gold plastic balls you got a lot of misfires because of misshaped peas the corn shop sold them by weight you ended up with a giant brown paper bag full very hard to hide from your parents lol

I more or less knew all these shops having been born a hundred yards or so down from Kynocks, 504 Witton road to be exact and three houses up from Holdford Drive, the first shop on the right up fro the bridge was Mrs Jackson a lovely old lady, sold sweets and tobaco, there was also a shoe shop just passed hers, i remember in 1959 i went in for a pair of shoes, the sop was a bit crowded and the two women serving kept telling me to wait a bit when i was trying to pay for the shoes, i just sat down again and put the new ones back on and walked out, leaving my old ones behind.
On the opposit side of the road there was a tailors shop named Hardy's, when I was fourteen I went in and bought a Black suit on tick, I cant remember how much the Suit cost but all I paid was ten bob, when Mr Hardy came to my house my dad told him to clear off or he would have the law on to him for selling stuff on tick to a minor, I still used his shop but got friends to go in and get things for me: I did pay though.

Does anybody remember the 'corn' shop on the corner of Witton Road and Manor Road? I had an amazing smell inside probably as a result of stocking all mom manner of feeds and hay etc. My most vivid memory was being in the shop as a ten year old with Mom on Christmas Eve 1959 when the proprietor of the described in almost forensic detail the dreadful circumstances surrounding the Stephanie Baird murder which occurred on the previous night. It made a long lasting impression on me but I often wondered how she knew so much about the case particularly as the press in those days were far more restrained in the reporting of the details of such events. I guess kids these days have to deal with exposure to far more graphic stuff that they can access on Youtube etc. Some people, I suppose, would say it is all part of growing up!
I remember the corn shop well, I had to go and fetch the corn and grit for my Dads chickens

Can anyone let me know the name of the shop that used to sell air fix models and the likes on witton road
also there was a tool shop on the RH Side i think it was called Sam Troughs OR Bobs hardware

Can anyone let me know the name of the shop that used to sell air fix models and the likes on witton road
also there was a tool shop on the RH Side i think it was called Sam Troughs OR Bobs hardware
hi dudley could you give us the years you are on about please...someone maybe able to check the kellys directories for you

lyn

HI sorry the dates are 1970 - 1981 I worked for James Nuttall the used furniture shop near the traffic lights witton road and trinity road
opposite to Jardine's cycles i also remember Stan Taylor the ex villa player had a sports shop

It was called the Model Mecca shop. The guy who owned it used to sail a radio controlled boat over Witton lakes. It was unusual as it had Gannet 15cc engine in it. Most boats had these diesel engines, but this was like a proper four stroke with a little sparkplug, and external rockers and pushrods.

I lived opposite the model shop next door was Pats newsagents then Wigleys a ladies clothes shop
yes he had his boats on the lakes every Sunday.

Back