• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Road

Raymond Terrys he was a autioner we brought a axe for chopping firewood from your shop still got it my nan lived at last house before shops Roby was her maiden name she became Preston

My friends Mom had a hairdressers on Witton Road in the early 60's called Linda Jane. The family name was Laughton I often stayed with them in the flat above the shop.

I am not sure Jean it was such a long time ago. I do remember it was in a block of shops. The family moved to Jersey in about 1962/3

The second photo on post #37 looks familiar I think this maybe where Linda Janes was.

The first photo on #37 - looking down Witton road - just past Sacred Heart Church Tower on the right - is where I lived, and it looks like my car, a Standard Ensign, outside the house!....bet I couldn't park it there now?...

I thought i throw some names in of people who lived by me in Witton rd in the 60s all start with Mrs/Haywood,Bunce,Hill,Preston,Mcgreen,and Lucy Vick.

Amazed at your memory Don!!...I can't remember the names of anyone who lived nearby....but I seem to remember buying that car from, I think, Pete Smith - Jeans husband - for £45....I'm sure Jean may know better than me??

I used to live at 196 (I think). It was about 3 doors up from Lodge Road. I drove past a couple of years ago and it has gone along with the rest of the block. On the corner of Lodge Road/Witton Rd was a chemist shop I'm sure. In Lodge Rd there was the roller shutter door for deliveries and it was the perfect size for a goalmouth so spent hours there kicking a ball about. I remember the model shop, the co-op lower down and I think a shoe repairers on the corner of Trinity Road. I went to Prince Albert Junior School (formerly Albert Road) until about 1955. I can remember the 1st Asian boy to come to the school. He had a terrible smell about him but it wasn't because he was unclean, it was something he put on his hair. I saw a thing a few weeks ago where some Villa players were visiting the school and there wasn't one white face to be seen ! That of course was Ozzy's school. I passed the 11+ and got a place at Tile Cross Grammar (imagine getting there on the bus) but we moved so I went to Holly Lodge in Smethwick instead.

Dave it may have been Mervin's car that Pete used to borrow when he had gone to bed?. Pete had an old van that was falling to bits. Jean.

Hi to all,

I used to live in Aston and as a young nipper, I grew up and played in Aston Park in the 60's. I remember having to visit the barbers shop, very close to the Co-Op store and buying things in the post office on the corner of Witton Rd Trinity Rd.

I also remember my dad asking me to go down to the local betting office on Witton Rd and to stop and ask someone going inside to place a bet on for " Bob" !....I used to hate doing it!

They were generally happy times growing up in Aston until I left Brum in the middle 70's.

Derek.

Yes that barber was the the same one i went to sitting on plank Aston park was my playground on and Aston graveyard i lived on Witton rd in 60s.

Back