• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Witton Road

IMG_1069.jpg
Hi Di: Nice to hear that you are keeping well. My parents both grew up in Witton and Dad attended Albert Road School and Mom attended Deykin Avenue School. We didn't live very far away and went through Witton all the time to get to Town. I attended secondary school in Corporation Street and took the 5a or 39 into Town and also worked in Town. I remember my Mother telling about her going dancing at the Albert Hall in Witton Road and at Madam Amies also. Everything has changed so much around Witton these days. Even the Aston Hotel is closed and has become a Youth Hostel. I always visit Aston Hall and Park when I visit and also have a look around Aston Villa area. My son, Duncan is a huge AstonVilla fan and my nephew Justin, who lives in Hong Kong is one also.I have a few more photos. This one was taken by Keith Berry, who lived in Brantley Road, Witton for many years and photographed many Birmingham places over the years as many people know. View attachment 107463

The advert is from 1939....Just where was Albert Hall?

Hi Pedrocut,

if you stand by Aston Library and look up Witton Road towards Six Ways, The Albert Hall was I think the last large building on the left of Witton Road before the church. It was quite an impressive building as I recall, with a grand staircase leading up to the door, and at one time a large picture of a couple dancing. My parents used to go there before the War. I thought it was still standing, but maybe not (I've not yet plucked up sufficient courage to make a return visit to the area after all these years). I think it became some kind of Spiritualist church, something like that. Almost opposite the Albert Hall on Witton Road was a glazier's shop, and while waiting for the bus back home to The Broadway I'd watch the men cutting glass, something which always had a weird fascination for me.....

In your poster for the Albert Hall, the ENOTS Annual Dance refers to a company called Benton & Stone Ltd (get the Enots?) which I think was somewhere on or around Aston Lane , but not sure. If anyone knows just where they were, I'd be grateful. I believe they made valves. An old school-friend of mine got a job there, way back. Long gone now, I suspect.

G

Mrs Big G has just reminded me that after it closed as a dance-hall The Albert Hall was empty for a while then became a carpet warehouse.

G

yes thats the one phil...i really must ask my son to show me how to take snap shots from google earth...

lyn

Benton & Stone was in several streets but if I remember rightly the main buildings were in Aston Brook Street. There used to be a funny little metal man who advertised Enots. Anyone remember him?

yes thats the one phil...i really must ask my son to show me how to take snap shots from google earth...

lyn
Hi Lyn, I often use the 'Windows Snipping Tool' which works with Win 7 and Win 10 and saves a pic wherever you want it.
Phil

Enots,+Motor+Fittings+Cat.1938.+front+cover.1.jpg

Enots was in Bracebridge Street.
I remembered the company name as I worked as a clerk in the Inland Revenue back in the late 60s and I was in the tax district that dealt with the company.

Looking on Google Earth there is an Albert Hall not far from Six Ways.
View attachment 109883

Hi Mohawk,

that's the place! I'm surprised it's still there. Even more surprised that the original sign is still there! I can't make out the word under the sign, though. One of these fine says I'll pluck up some courage and have a drive around the area where I grew up. As Bob Dylan sang, "Everything passes, everything changes".

G

Thanks for the info, I must have passed hundreds of times but not noticed the true extent of the building. I must never have looked upwards!

There is a thread for the very place, and some confusion as to the use. I think we can say that it was built in 1899, and for 1900 was used regularly by the Conservative Association.

Not used to the 'new' forum layout yet....made a hash of previous post. Not to worry!

Phil's Photo No 42 includes Tandy's fashion shop, were my Mom shopped for clothes from time to time, and Di, the old cinema on the right of the photo was called The Empress, and eventually became a small factory. My dad also remembered it as a real flea-pit. Photo No 40 shows Oliver's Newsagent, where I worked as a paper-boy for a (short) time. They were real slave-drivers, and I could hardly lift my bag when I set off on my round. Didn't last long - not fit enough.

We lived in The Broadway (and knew Di's family in Woodall Road). Strange how sometimes we hardly had two ha'pennies to rub together, but Mom always shopped at the 'better' local shops, usually at Bevan's Grocery which was very close to The Empress. Sam Bevan was a real character, a natural-born comedian who would get the whole shop laughing. He called me 'Beanpole' (amongst other names...). His daughter Lynne married former Villa player Bruce Rioch.

I also used Aston Library from time to time, but found it dark and oppressive compared with Birchfield Library. I used to spend my pocket-money at The Model Mecca (George and Nancy Rowand) next door but one to Wigley's Fashions, and after 60-odd years I'm still very active in model flying. My mother's cousin Bill Sims had the green-grocer's on the corner of Witton and Trinity, twice the price of anywhere else (!) my mother used to complain, which I guess is how when he retired he and his wife could move to Rosemary Hill Road in Streetly.

I hope you're keeping well, Di - very nice to run into you again!

Big G
Hi, My Name was Lynne Bevan and my parents owned Bevan's Grocery shop.

Hi, My Name was Lynne Bevan and my parents owned Bevan's Grocery shop

Hello Lynne, what a surprise! I remember you well from The Broadway, and also when you were receptionist at Hemming-Allen's dental surgery on Trinity Road.

Mom thought the world of your parents, and your dad was always good for a laugh when we went into his shop.

I hope life's been good to you.

G

Hi, My Name was Lynne Bevan and my parents owned Bevan's Grocery shop

Hello Lynne, what a surprise! I remember you well from The Broadway, and also when you were receptionist at Hemming-Allen's dental surgery on Trinity Road.

Mom thought the world of your parents, and your dad was always good for a laugh when we went into his shop.

I hope life's been good to you.

G
Hi, Thank you for getting back to me, fancy you remembering me from Hemming-Allens, I worked there for 8 years. Mom & dad loved the shop, Happy days... I married Neil Rioch (Aston Villa) although someone wrote on the Forum that I married Bruce Rioch!!! What is your full Name??.

Just come across these great photos of Witton Road . My wife’s great grandad had a furniture store 252-254A Witton Road for 1920s until 1959. It was just past the junction with Trinity Road on the left hand side. The building is still there! His name was Howard Wimbush Terry and he died in 1959. We have often wondered whether anyone on the Forum remembers this shop or if there are any photos of it?

Back