• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Road Butchers in 1892

Brummiebell

master brummie
Hello everyone
I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the above. I believe that my great grandfather Harry Short (sometimes known as Harry Tonks) was a butcher with an establishment on 211 Witton Road in 1892. Don't know much else as he is a bit of a mystery man (not actually married to my grandmother) and he was a gunmaker for years previously so not sure if I am going off track with this information. However, it is the right timeline and location and the family was into retail. His stepfather was a draper as was his sister and many of the family were shopkeepers so it is possible. Bit of a coincidence too as I married a butcher and run a shop with him now. Is there still or does anyone remember butchers at this site by any chance? Or does anyone have any knowledge of the Short family in Witton? Very grateful for any advice given Best wishes Maria

The 1892 Kellys directory lists Harry Short, butcher at that address. He is also there in the 1890 edition, but in the 1888 edition there is no listing for that number, which might suggest that he was the first occupant, certainly as a shop. By the 1896 edition it was George Bagnall, butcher, there. In both the 1888 and 1896 editions there is no listing of a Harry short of Harry Tonks as a butcher
Note dates are publication dates, and probably refer to year before

The 1892 Kellys directory lists Harry Short, butcher at that address. He is also there in the 1890 edition, but in the 1888 edition there is no listing for that number, which might suggest that he was the first occupant, certainly as a shop. By the 1896 edition it was George Bagnall, butcher, there. In both the 1888 and 1896 editions there is no listing of a Harry short of Harry Tonks as a butcher
Note dates are publication dates, and probably refer to year before

That is so interesting, and thank you for the tip about the publication dates I hadn't thought about that. Do I take it that they published the directory every two years? If so any idea how I can find out if he was in the 1894 edition so was trading there in 1893 before George Bagnall took it over? I wonder if the shop is still there,feel a trip to Birmingham comming on in the new year!!! Thank you so much for your help Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see a 211 in this thread but at least there is some information on Witton Road.

Last edited:
I wonder if the shop is still there,feel a trip to Birmingham comming on in the new year!!! Thank you so much for your help Mike.
Doesn't look like it's still there, might be better to search google maps before visiting, google maps photo below showing 209 as the corner property on right, other corner on left is 211
witton road.JPG
If you search google maps, for Witton Road Birmingham, there is a B/W photo from the 50/60's taken by the late Keith Berry,
which shows older building where 211 iswitton road.JPG

The butcher's I remember was on the corner on the left, where the new houses are. As far as I can recall we knew the shop as 'Tonks', and I have a vague memory that he knew my dad as a regular at the Rat Pan.

G

I can't see a 211 in this thread but at least there is some information on Witton Road.
Hi Radiorails sorry to be so thick but which thread?? sorry but clicking on the underlined on just brings me back to my own. I'm not very technical I'm afraid.

The butcher's I remember was on the corner on the left, where the new houses are. As far as I can recall we knew the shop as 'Tonks', and I have a vague memory that he knew my dad as a regular at the Rat Pan.

G
Wow, that's fascinating, Harry often used his wife's name Tonks as they weren't married and she and their children always used Tonks. Did they live above the shops do you recall and what was the Rat Pan?

Doesn't look like it's still there, might be better to search google maps before visiting, google maps photo below showing 209 as the corner property on right, other corner on left is 211
View attachment 139636
If you search google maps, for Witton Road Birmingham, there is a B/W photo from the 50/60's taken by the late Keith Berry,
which shows older building where 211 isView attachment 139636
Thanks for that Rob, this is getting really spooky because I used to work in Witton road in my early 20's and I recall that shop on the left then was a kind of grocers and we used to pop in there for supplies in our breaks. I had no idea that my Great grandparents had a shop practically opposite it, I didn't even know who Harry was in those days. I will start Googling when I get home, this is so exciting, and you are all so clever. Thank you

Brummiebell, I'm going back the best part of 70 years, so don't rely too heavily on my memory. The other thing I recall about that butcher's is that I think it was referred to as a 'pork butcher'. The 'Rat Pan' was a very up-market and select hostelry for the better class of gentleman, a.k.a. 'The Upper Grounds', and is still on the corner of Trinity Road and Bevington Road. I don't know if it's still a pub. I do definitely remember my dad using the name 'Tonk's when he referred to a particular person he knew.

Something else has just come to my worn-out memory. I think what used to be the butcher's on the corner became a hairdressing salon when the butcher closed. I don't know when it was demolished.

G

Brummiebell.
In later years Kellys was published every year. I think that was so at about the time you are considering . Certainly there were directories for 1878. 79, 90 : 1892,93 and 94,. and 1895, 96 and 97. The library in Birmingham might have the 1894 edition.
(I have corrected your misstype (I;m always doing the same ) of 1994 for 1894)

Hi Radiorails sorry to be so thick but which thread?? sorry but clicking on the underlined on just brings me back to my own. I'm not very technical I'm afraid.
Not you that is thick - it is me! I have amended my original post (4) for the correct link. :oops:

This is the photo I mentioned in post #5, it has been posted by Old Mohawk on this forum, in a thread named Keith Berry's Photos, Hundreds of Keith's outstanding photos are saved here.
witton roadKeith Berry.JPG

I'd forgotten all about the 'Dr Ambednar Centre', whatever that might have been. I always thought that the butcher's was at the shop to the left, but I may well be way out. If the good Doctor's 'Centre' wasn't where the butcher's was, then what was there?

G

Back