• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Isolation Hospital burnt down in 1967

Hi Bob:This hospital was actually in Kingstanding at Hawthorn and College Road. The area came under Witton Lodge, Here's a bit from
Bill Dargue amazing site:

Take a look. Hawthorn School has an interesting origin. Pending the building of Hastings Road Council School, it first opened in 1925 as Perry Common Temporary Council School and was held in the buildings of the former isolation hospital at the corner of Hawthorn Road and College Road. The hospital had been built by the West Bromwich Guardians of the Poor in this remote spot following a number of epidemics during the early 1890s

John thank you for that. My mom said she once worked at an isolation hospital for a short time and coming from Witton I bet that was the one. Going to take a closer look at the folk with plackards see if I remember anyone. Jean.

would this have been the one on college road...locals have told me about an isolation hospital there that was burned down and a section of houses were built on the ground...if i remember correctly the estate was most likely nick named pheonix way or close or something like that as it was said the hospital had rose from the ashes...those houses have recently been demolished..

lyn

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=52.5395&lon=-1.8734&layers=10&b=1

Yes Lyn. that was the one. Should note though that there apparently were once two witton isolation hospitals (see map c 1904 below), the other being where the Perry common library is now (if it hasn't been closed!!)

map c 1904 showing two isolation hospitals at Witton.jpg

Yes, the one they burn was where Roedean and Dean Close are now. The one by the library is now (or was ) Hawthorn Road School. My dad went to this school and said he thought it was a old converted hospital.

I actually live on the other side of the College Road which is Perry Common, and the Isolation Hospital was in Kingstanding. When I was a child occasionally went to the Mayfair cinema, and living in Cranbourne Road walked through two gullies to get to it. One was by Warren Farm clinic which still exists, and the other between the Isolation Hospital, and the side of the Mayfair Cinema.
I do believe the estate which exists now was built on that land however, Aldi have a big store now somewhere by where the old cinema was, if so shops were built on the isolation grounds.

I walked that way many times Dianne, we used to go to the Mayfair Saturday afternoon matinees (Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, and Flash Gordon) as children and later when courting........but I'm older than you ;)

Eric not sure you are older than me. I also remember the Saturday the matinees.
Interestingly when I walked through the gully between the isolation hospital and the cinema used to hold my breath for as long as I could if memory serves me correctly.
However, in the 70's did a couple of nights for a few years on the infectious disease ward at what was then called East Birmingham. You needed to hold your breath at times then even behind the mask.:)

:):) I was born 1935 Diane. I went to Cranbourne Road school and lived in Hurlingham Road so just round the corner from you.

Eric I lived at 125 Cranbourne road. Our house was directly opposite to Tansley Road. Perks was my maiden name.

I actually live on the other side of the College Road which is Perry Common, and the Isolation Hospital was in Kingstanding. When I was a child occasionally went to the Mayfair cinema, and living in Cranbourne Road walked through two gullies to get to it. One was by Warren Farm clinic which still exists, and the other between the Isolation Hospital, and the side of the Mayfair Cinema.
I do believe the estate which exists now was built on that land however, Aldi have a big store now somewhere by where the old cinema was, if so shops were built on the isolation grounds
I do believe the estate which exists now was built on that land however, Aldi have a big store now somewhere by where the old cinema was, if so shops were built on the isolation grounds.
Aldi is where Land Rover Services was. Just down is the old Mayfair Cinema: shops now but the sign is still there - 482. Take a look. The old Isolation Hospital (burned by firemen) is where sheltered bungalows are now between Dean Close and Roedean. The fire station looks fairly new & meant to be haunted. I wonder if this was the second Isolation Hospital and not Perry Common Library which looks much older.

I have a memory of what I thought was the TB hospital being burnt down purposely as TB had more or less been eradicated then - I was at Marsh Hill Girls senior school and we could see the smoke from the playing field behind the school.
I can't remember what year that would have been but very likely 1967 - would that have been the place of this thread title?

Back