• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Church - Which One

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
Hello folks,
does anyone know what the nearest church is to DEACON ROAD, WITTON ??? I have a query regarding the 1st baptism there in 1929..

Thanking you...

Margaret.

Margaret,

there isn't a Deacon Road in Witton (or anywhere in Birmingham, as far as i can make out), but there's a DEYKIN AVENUE off Brookvale Road. There is or was a church on the corner of Wyrley Road and Birch Road, but I'm afraid I know nothing about it. I'd be surprised if someone on this Forum can't help you, though.

G

Saint Peter & Saint Paul Witton Lane Aston or
Sacred Heart and St Margaret Mary Witton Road Aston?
All Souls Church on Wenlock Road
Was it Witton Methodist Church on the corner of Birch Road?

Thank you both for this info... this address was given to me verbally so I assumed it was DEACON road...methinks I need to get some clarification as to the correct spelling...thank you for your help...

Margaret.

hi there
i think you will find it as beacon rd and beacon hill and it was where the labour exchange was [ now called the job centre,s ]
the rd could still be there but not as a job centre; as there was several churches very close by
i used to go there my self in the very early years and it was a terrible place . where it was always packed sign your name in at one desk
and then go and stand at another big que to get your allowence handed to you [ money ] another for your family kiddies milk tokens
and if i am correct i am surely think i am correct there was a small church like building on that rd and not on beacon hill its self
and i can recall a phone box just out side the labour exchange
may be these people said to you close to beacon hill was the church but there was most not any church on beacon hill
from witton rd and trinity rd you would have turned left coming down witton rd from six ways aston heading down the witton rd
and passing the sacred heart church and the libary before reaching beacon hill ; and when you did turn into beacon hill
it was only about eight yards section and the labour exchange was on the very corner and this batisp was just arpound on the next corner
yards from the exchange ;
and as others have said the other churches was a matter of about half a mile between each other the place you are on about was only a little hall
building for the congregation ; best wishes astonian;;

Hi...I now know that it is DEYKIN Road/Avenue...the church must have been fairly new in 1929 when the 1st baptism took place, but I am not familiar with Witton at all so am at loss to pinpoint which church I am after ( there used to be a site that named all the Birmingham churches & when they were consecrated,,but alas it seems to have gone AWOL ) !!!

Thank you,
Margaret.

Thank you Linda ..what a great site, a mine of information to search through.

Many thanks again,
Margaret.

This is a bit puzzling, Margaret. The two conformist churches nearest to Deykin Avenue are St Peter & St Paul's (Aston Parish Church) and All Souls Church, both of which were established before 1929. As was Sacred Heart Church in Witton Road. Which leaves the Witton Methodist Church, which does at least look reasonably modern.

G

Hello Big Gee, I agree that the Methodist church looks the best candidate. Having looked at the churches on the great site that Linda gave me, they all appear to be much earlier churches .

Margaret.

Witton Methodist Church.jpgThis picture is of the Witton Methodist Church- courtesy of Roy Hughes - in Wyrely Road/Birch Witton

I am currently involved in a project called Tamed based in Witton and Perry Barry with the Environment Agency. From 2013 new flood defences will be built along the River Tame and artists and historians have been commissioned to get involved with the local communities, past and present, and explore the history of the area. I am particularly looking for people who used to and/or still live in these areas around the Tame with stories, memories, pictures or objects from the area. I have started a new thread here..... https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41861 for anyone to add their memories if they would like, or please let me know if you are happy for me to use any memories already added to this thread. We will probably be taking some oral histories, so if anyone would like to be involved in that aspect please also let me know. My email is [email protected] and my phone number for this project is 077333 84541. Thanks, Jenni.

There was a church in Wyrley Road @ Deykin Avenue, opposite the school. It was a small church tied to St Peter and St Paul church Aston. I was in the Boys Brigade and we used to meet in the Church Hut in Deykin Avenue at the top end near to the canal. We used to parade every month and march to Aston Parish church with drums and bugles. I went into the army in 1953 and I am sure it was still there then but was taken over by one of the factories and built on. George

Hi George think it was still there late sixties then suddenly gone ,built a factory on
the church site
rob houghton 128

Bit about St. Peter's Mission in Deykin Avenue at this site. My Uncle Bill who lived in Wyrely Road used to go to BB there years and years ago.
https://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/stjamesbarton/BMSGHwebsite/cofe/astpeter.htm

Looks like the Mission in Deykin Avenue was there from 1908 until 1952 as used by St. Peter and St. Paul. It must have been demolished later as Rob says
probably in the late 1960's. From British History online dates: St. Peter's Mission, Deykin Avenue (1908– 52);

Last edited:
Back