• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Cemetry

Hello all,
Just mentioning I had to arrange a funeral very recently where there was a family plot unused since 1942/3, there was a charge of £1156 to open the grave etc, is this normal, how much would a new plot have cost elsewhere, just wondering.......

A lot lot less I believe but it is a long time since I had need.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

1) It may cost extra if there are Headstones, etc to remove
2) It may cost extra if it's in the middle of the plot and they cannot get their JCB next to it - have to be hand dug.
3), probably costs more because of care to be taken - not breaking into adjacent grabs, or previous underlying burial
4) Charges are becoming ridiculous due to inability of Council to have managed the equal pay award, and now having to make as much as they can, whilst cutting as much as they can.
bri

Hi Zena.
I would think the numbers refer to the grave number. In your case plot 69 grave 69041 or 401693. do you know if it is a double plot. refer to the map above in previous post.

thanks for answering john
i wanted to visit today, so got in touch with them, and was told, its just a ref no. nothing to do with the actual grave and location. she got me to email my numbers over and told me id hear soon. so heres hoping.
visit has been put on hold
zena
p.s. i will post answer on here for future reference x

thanks for answering john
i wanted to visit today, so got in touch with them, and was told, its just a ref no. nothing to do with the actual grave and location. she got me to email my numbers over and told me id hear soon. so heres hoping.
visit has been put on hold
zena
p.s. i will post answer on here for future reference x

I`ll be interested to hear if you get a reply to your email. I`ve phoned 3 times & emailed twice & haven`t heard back from them. I hope you have better luck.

hi smudger
i heard back from witton today good as her word Heather sent me 10 grave locations and a map
i have sent her another 11 references today
she did say she could only give me location anything else would cost me £13.00 which when i have 21 people buried the would cost a fortune try sending an e mail to heather
best wishes and good luck
zena:smug:

Hi Zena
I`ve also had an email from Heather with the info i requested. It`s taken a long time but got there in the end. Good luck with your 21x£13, it`s a lot of money!

no smudger i dont need to spend it, i have got the locations of my family graves, which is what i wanted. i will be going to visit them in my next half term holiday
glad you got yours too
zena x

Can anyone tell me what the parking is like at or near Witton Cemetery, Moor Lane entrance. TIA.

Plenty of parking in Witton, Smudge.
Entrance in Moor Lane opposite the pub & Stonemasons yard, Office round to left with small car parking area. Main cemetery has plenty of roadways with room to park and still be passed, but potholes a plenty, so drive slowly! If it's been raining and they still haven't trimmed the trees, be more careful of overhanging branches bumping the roof on some of the side pathways. (May have been lopped since I was last there before Xmas).

Note exiting cemetery, you cannot access the Outer circle due to work on the Motorway blocking half the road - you have to go out Perry Barr end, or go through cemetery, out of exit opposite side from entrance next to staff depot onto The Ridgeway - can access Outer Circle from there.
Bri

Plenty of parking in Witton, Smudge.
Entrance in Moor Lane opposite the pub & Stonemasons yard, Office round to left with small car parking area. Main cemetery has plenty of roadways with room to park and still be passed, but potholes a plenty, so drive slowly! If it's been raining and they still haven't trimmed the trees, be more careful of overhanging branches bumping the roof on some of the side pathways. (May have been lopped since I was last there before Xmas).

Note exiting cemetery, you cannot access the Outer circle due to work on the Motorway blocking half the road - you have to go out Perry Barr end, or go through cemetery, out of exit opposite side from entrance next to staff depot onto The Ridgeway - can access Outer Circle from there.
Bri

Thanks KHB. It`s been 55 years since i was there, so most of those names & places have drifted over me. I will have to rely on gps to keep me right. (hopefully) Can`t say i`m looking forward to Spaghetti junction if i have to go that far down :-{

Smudge,
Depending on where you are coming from - if it directs you via Witton /Outer Circle, you will see as you turn into Moor Lane that there is no exit that way.
If so, when you finish in Cemetery aim for the Ridgeway Exit - exactly opposite entrance but up hill. Right turn out of Cemetery, down to bottom of road and you are 200 yards or so further up the Outer Circle than when you turned into Moor Lane.
Spag Jct will only come into it if coming via Motorway - just take it easy - it will all come back to you!
Bri

Smudge,
Depending on where you are coming from - if it directs you via Witton /Outer Circle, you will see as you turn into Moor Lane that there is no exit that way.
If so, when you finish in Cemetery aim for the Ridgeway Exit - exactly opposite entrance but up hill. Right turn out of Cemetery, down to bottom of road and you are 200 yards or so further up the Outer Circle than when you turned into Moor Lane.
Spag Jct will only come into it if coming via Motorway - just take it easy - it will all come back to you!
Bri

Thanks again KHB, i`ll print that info off, & with the lovely Jane (voice on my gps) i`m sure i`ll find my way. I will be coming by motorway but I`ll maybe turn off before spag junction.

hi the moor lane entrance for parking just inside is ok. got mom and dad by there hope this helps kind reguards sidwho

hi all
could do with a little help im looking for info regarding leah brown she was born 1881 in dudley area all iv been told by the family is that she is buried at witton I don't know when can you help

hi k c
if you click on the link in post 11 on the 1st page of this thread you can find records of witton key hill and warstone lane there are 5 leah browns but only burial dates not ages or birth dates
zena

hi zena
thank you for reply iv been on the site and iv got this ref w1/62/62325/359686 do you know what this means
thanks kc

Back