• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Witton Cemetry

rogergirling

proper brummie kid
Hi
Is any one visiting Witton cemetery in the near future, I need to find out what the inscription on a grave says.
The grave is of a Florence Elizabeth Cross, Section 152, Grave no 39046.
As I recently moved from B`ham to North Wales I am unable now to visit myself.
Any help would be appreciated

Hi Dave thanks for the offer it will help a lot.
Have just noticed that my post says section 52 but it should read section 152
According to the map it is situated in the top right hand corner near to Brookvale Road

Hi Dave thanks for the offer it will help a lot.
Have just noticed that my post says section 52 but it should read section 152
According to the map it is situated in the top right hand corner near to Brookvale Road

Roger PM sent

Hi Roger,

I'm going to see mother-in-law who is in the same section. Should be going on Sunday or Monday at the latest. I've made a note of the number and will have a look too.

Hi Roger,

I've been to Witton this morning but unfortunately, as far as I can see, the grave has no headstone. Not all the graves have numbers but we worked it out from those that do. Many of the graves in that section do not have markers. I have taken a picture of the plot which we think is Florence's and someone has left some fresh flowers there. I've had no success in uploading the picture but will try again.

Attachments

• Ebay 009.jpg
    Ebay 009.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Ebay 008.jpg
    Ebay 008.jpg
    762 KB · Views: 28
Thank you Lady P,,,, for confirming the plot

Attachments

• 15th December 2014 Monday 010.jpg
    15th December 2014 Monday 010.jpg
    666.4 KB · Views: 17
Can anyone help? I`m trying to locate a plot/grave number at Witton cemetery. I`ve phoned the cemetery twice in the last week & each time they say they will get back to me at the end of the day, but so far have heard nothing. I don`t want to pester them by constantly phoning, so is there any other way i can locate a plot number? Appreciate any help. Smudger

For a few pounds they can give you an emailed photocopy of the Burial Register.
If you are a member, you can view it yourself on the computer in the Birmingham & Midland Institute, Margaret St, between Council House & Great Charles St, Mon-Fri 10-3 in the volunteer staffed room, though they may have closed no for Xmas.
Witton are usually quite helpful, but under manned and over worked as are all the lower level Council Employees these days.
Often a visit to Witton, with a nicely worded request, and a short wait can obtain info better than phone/emails which get scribbled on notes and put aside.
Brian

Witton are usually quite helpful, but under manned and over worked as are all the lower level Council Employees these days.
Often a visit to Witton, with a nicely worded request, and a short wait can obtain info better than phone/emails which get scribbled on notes and put aside.
Brian

I understand that most council facilities are undermanned these days, & as for a visit, i must make the effort this summer. Durham is a wee bit too far for simply popping in for info. I was a wayward teenager who didn`t appreciate his Mom till it was too late & my conscious has been nagging me lately. Probably all the funerals i`ve attended recently!

Sorry Smudger,
Didn't realise you lived in foreign parts.
Most of us would like to revisit our Parents with what we now know - probably still won't get the answers we would like though!
Brian

Has anyone had any luck contacting Witton cemetery for info on plot/grave numbers? I`ve phoned 3 times & each time they say they`ll get back to me at the end of the day but they don`t. I`ve had no luck with Emails either. Very frustrating.

I haven't tried recently but in the past they have replied to emails within two days.
They only gave plot and grave numbers and a very short message to say if you want any more info you have to pay!!
They prefer to have exact dates so they don't have to search. Their system may have changed though.
rosie.

hi i saw this thread and because i guessed i have family buried in witton followed the link and found names and dates seem to match up with my certificates
my question is what do the numbers mean or relate too please
example
brian alan holmes 1955 wi/69/69041/401963 ????
thanks zena

Hello all,
Just mentioning I had to arrange a funeral very recently where there was a family plot unused since 1942/3, there was a charge of £1156 to open the grave etc, is this normal, how much would a new plot have cost elsewhere, just wondering.......

A lot lot less I believe but it is a long time since I had need.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

1) It may cost extra if there are Headstones, etc to remove
2) It may cost extra if it's in the middle of the plot and they cannot get their JCB next to it - have to be hand dug.
3), probably costs more because of care to be taken - not breaking into adjacent grabs, or previous underlying burial
4) Charges are becoming ridiculous due to inability of Council to have managed the equal pay award, and now having to make as much as they can, whilst cutting as much as they can.
bri

Hi Zena.
I would think the numbers refer to the grave number. In your case plot 69 grave 69041 or 401693. do you know if it is a double plot. refer to the map above in previous post.

thanks for answering john
i wanted to visit today, so got in touch with them, and was told, its just a ref no. nothing to do with the actual grave and location. she got me to email my numbers over and told me id hear soon. so heres hoping.
visit has been put on hold
zena
p.s. i will post answer on here for future reference x

thanks for answering john
i wanted to visit today, so got in touch with them, and was told, its just a ref no. nothing to do with the actual grave and location. she got me to email my numbers over and told me id hear soon. so heres hoping.
visit has been put on hold
zena
p.s. i will post answer on here for future reference x

I`ll be interested to hear if you get a reply to your email. I`ve phoned 3 times & emailed twice & haven`t heard back from them. I hope you have better luck.

hi smudger
i heard back from witton today good as her word Heather sent me 10 grave locations and a map
i have sent her another 11 references today
she did say she could only give me location anything else would cost me £13.00 which when i have 21 people buried the would cost a fortune try sending an e mail to heather
best wishes and good luck
zena:smug:

Hi Zena
I`ve also had an email from Heather with the info i requested. It`s taken a long time but got there in the end. Good luck with your 21x£13, it`s a lot of money!

no smudger i dont need to spend it, i have got the locations of my family graves, which is what i wanted. i will be going to visit them in my next half term holiday
glad you got yours too
zena x

Can anyone tell me what the parking is like at or near Witton Cemetery, Moor Lane entrance. TIA.

Back