• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Cemetry

you will now have to e mail witton cemetery. state your persons name, age, death date and that ref and they will send you the section and grave number and a map to find the grave if you want more information than that then you will have to pay £13.00. the person there that helped me was heather
zena

hello folk more help please I need to find a grave of my family that died in the fire of 1927 it reads ELLEN beloved wife of chares pedley then the list of children I need to find grave number and plot , no idea how to find these and whereabouts of the Cemetry in brum many thanks martyn( its witton cemetery)

hi calib
i live five minuts away from witton cemetry if you like i can pop down in the week and have a look for you and maybe get a photo of grave for you
josie

Hi calibra and josie, I've just had a look at the index supplied by BMSGH for Witton. There's a reference 58/58335. I presume that means plot 58 grave 58335. There's a map on a previous post, hope this helps.
rosie.

Map is on #3

Last edited:
Josie rosie , what can I say but thank you , I am not great on a computer but if you google Charles pedley it should come up with the story and picture of the grave stone it is of Ellen nd her children that died 1927 I would like to know if it is still there as I am planning on some time this year to come up and see my home town of Erdington ,is the cemetery near there I lived in Bromford lane no 5 but I don't know my way around as I was 7 when we left not been back since but I suppose I feel homesick if you know what I mean thank you both for your help martyn

martyn
here is the address for witton cemetery
moor lane B6 7AE BIRMINGHAM
it is not far from erdington if going by bus get no 11 towards witton get of at moor lane then walk down moor lane
to cemetery
josie

[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA][SIZE=+1]TRAPPED BY FIRE
SEVEN PERSONS PERISH
BIRMINGHAM TRAGEDY

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA][SIZE=+1]TRAPPED BY FIRE IN ATTIC

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA][SIZE=-1]LONDON. Jan. 12.
A disastrous fire in a small house at Bir-
mingham occupied by Charles M. Pedley,
his wife and eight children, and a girl nam-
ed Dora Barker, resulted in the deaths of
Dora Barker, Mrs. Pedley and two children,
while five other Pedleys were injured, four
critically.
The fire broke out on a stairway, impris-
oning the occupants. Neighbors held out
a blanket below, shouting to them to jump.
The victims were, bewildered by the smoke
and unable to respond.

Later:
The death roll through the Birmingham
fire now numbers seven.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA][SIZE=-1]LONDON. Jan. 12.
Birmingham. - A man named Pedley, liv-
ing in a tenement in a crowded part of the
city, has lost his wife, two sons and three
daughters, while the daughters and a son
have been removed to hospital seriously
injured, as the result of a fire. Pedley
himself is unhurt. The smell of burning
was detected by Mrs. Pedley, and her hus-
band left the house to give the alarm. He
returned to find the house enveloped in
flames, and was unable to enter it as the
staircase had collapsed. The mother mar-
shalled her 8 children and another girl
in the attic. The fire brigade promptly
arrived and the firemen gallantly climbed
the blazing house and found the family
huddled unconscious near the window. All
were lowered to the ground with very great
difficulty.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

martyn
here is the address for witton cemetery
moor lane B6 7AE BIRMINGHAM
it is not far from erdington if going by bus get no 11 towards witton get of at moor lane then walk down moor lane
to cemetery
josie

thank you Josie when I get all facts straight maybe find a live one I will come up but if not I will drive up spend a day with my other half looking round my home town hopefully meet some of the good people that have been of help me again thank you martyn

hi Calibra250
I just found this on line if its of any help.

Inquest Adjourned.

THE CORONER'S WARNING(A.P.A. Message. London, January 15. j

A tragic ordeal marked the inquest

on the victims of the Birmingham fire.

Charles Pedley, exercising the utmost

self-control, identified the bodies of

seven members of his family.

The coroner adjourned the inquest

after issuing a caution against spread-

ing fairy tales and spiteful rumors

before the evidence is heard.

Pedley emphasised the impossibility of re-entering the house after he had

I left it to give the alarm to the fire brigade.
John.

Hi calibra250.
I have just been to Witton cemetery and found the grave. I will private message you. I have taken a couple of photographs of the gravestone.
Regards
John

hello john thank you again , I managed after a struggle to print the picture I see a rose and xmas décor I wonder how long they have been there ,

HELLO AGAIN my dear lady said why do I not get the stone put back upright ,but I think the cost may be a large amount does anyone have any ideas on cost ,I do not know where to start

Be nice to see the pic?
You can ask at any Stonemason about restoration costs - There is usually one outside every cemetery - opposite main gate at Witton
Pete at Yardley memorials is a nice bloke, though maybe not the cheapest 706-2473.
memsafe did a lot for the Council and the Friends in Key Hill, but they like bulk orders 07980-992780
Best to try the Mason outside your local Cemetery - take a pic - so they can see the amount of work, and expect it to be a few hundred pounds, just to pin together and reset on a firm base that will all comply with modern regulations. The more jointing - the more cost in practise as each joint has to be drilled & pinned.

i do intend to come up to see for myself the stone as I have to my knowledge not seen it then I can decide what to do , at the moment we are really busy but hope to come up in the summer ,,martyn

We asked at the cemetery office (this was Perry Barr) and they got the man who does most of their stones to give us a quote. I imagine most cemeteries have someone they recommend.

Janice

Looks in very good shape, Drill and Pin Cross to base, Dig out and fit new foundation, Drill and pin Base to Foundation.
Not a major job for any qualified Mason, half a days work? Prices may have gone up since I was involved but a few hundred, I should imagine.
Hope you do get it restored - looks a good one.

Hi Brian
Just a brief message if you recall a request by me to the forum regarding a funeral arrangements of my
Late beloved god mother aunty LiLian whom lived up the bar beacon and said she could not be buried
Even thou the places was bought as I was told by a member of my emediate brothers
Well there was a twist in the tale apparentenly my cousin whom is a lady and the oldest daughter of the family
Had apparently taken out of her home because she was blind and in her ninety had her moved to a nursing home
Close to her house in Telford and that's where she died so in the end she had her cremated out in Telford
Last week I thought I would tell you as I did say I would keep you informed and up dated of the advise you have given me
Many thanks from me and I am sure there are a lot of other people ljut there have benefited by your knowledge and advise
Best Wishes Astonian,,,,Alan,,''

P

Hi Astonian, (Alan),
Sorry about Aunt Lilian, , hopefully she enjoyed Telford and will continue to do so. She probably would not have wanted to travel all way back here, anyway, given the chance, and Telford is a still a nice new'ish place, that's probably better for her than much of back here nowadays - she wouldn't have wanted to see how much it's changed now.
Hope everything went off as well as can be under the circumstances. Actual burials are getting scarcer now, as well as a lot more expensive.

Many thanks for the update.

Brian

Back