• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Witton Cemetery

Thank you jennyann for all your efforts. Are those two the only cemetries in the Erdington parish area that would have carried out burials in those days? If you know of more it would be a great help as I am in Dorset and not up to date with local graveyards. Graham.

Could anyone help me. I am looking for a particular grave at witton cemetery, I have been given both section and plot number, but the map is very blured. Could anyone tell me which end section 175 is.

Thank you and Merry Christmas:star:

This may be better you can see section 175 quite clearly bottom right.

Witton_Cemetery_Map.jpg

Hi Rod..

This is the what I rec'd from Witton Cemetery. I'm not sure what a common grave looks like, such as just a lump of dirt with grass over it?

Joseph Lawrence Gandley - buried 28/08/1904 aged 8
months. Last address 16 Court Great Russell Street. Again buried in a
'Common' grave - section 174 grave 49642.

Matthew Gandley died on 15.1.1870 , was interred on 23.1.1870 in a public grave numbered 16620 in section 103. His last recorded address was Lord Street, Aston Road, Aston he was aged 62 years.

I would be greatful for anything that you could pass on at your convenience.

Karen
Hi Karen, I have a Nan and Uncle in witton cem. when tracing family tree. I went down and asked at the office. They told me it was a grave where they paid £5. It was A big plot where many were buried. There was only a number in the office. They printed a map out and marked the plot no.

Hi all

Apologies if this information is somewhere in this thread and I've missed it, but a great many of my ancestors are buried in Witton Cemetery and I'd love to visit, take photos and leave some flowers. Can anyone point me to any online details of plot references or is it best to contact Witton directly?

i have a map of the section numbers that maybe of use but you would need to find out the grave numbers as well to find the exact plots and maybe you could be lucky if there are headstones for your family...my grandad is in section 3 along the ridgeway wall grave no 0340Witton_map..albert ernest wood..sec 3 grave no 0340.jpg

lyn

When I emailed a cemetery recently I was referred back to the Birmingham Bereavement site and told I had to apply there. It costs £20 per enquiry. I was told this was to cover the cost of the digitising (is that the right word?). The bereavement site itself doesn't give the plot or grave number. I don't agree with being charged this much to find where your relatives are buried.
rosie.

When I emailed a cemetery recently I was referred back to the Birmingham Bereavement site and told I had to apply there. It costs £20 per enquiry. I was told this was to cover the cost of the digitising (is that the right word?). The bereavement site itself doesn't give the plot or grave number. I don't agree with being charged this much to find where your relatives are buried.
rosie.

totally agree with that rosie...it was about 4 years ago i phoned them up and they phoned me back a few days later with the section and plot number...no charge then...

johnny if i were you i would not email them... give them a bell and see if they charge you..maybe if you are willing to wait a few days for them phone you back there is no charge...have to say im not sure how it works now..please let us know how you get on

lyn

I recently discovered i had a younger sister, Joan Smth,buried Jan 41 (Witton Cemetery) a year before i was born. I was grateful to find this info, but to find out how old/cause of death, grave number they want £20. Seems a bit steep to me so i would be obliged if any member could find this info for me. I would happily make a donation to BHF.

smudge the only way you will find out her cause of death ...age...address etc is to order her death cert which you can do online from the GENERAL REGISTER OFFICE.....pretty sure you wont get that info from witton...cost 11 quid to be posted to you which is not too bad...link for that is below

lyn

Hi all

Apologies if this information is somewhere in this thread and I've missed it, but a great many of my ancestors are buried in Witton Cemetery and I'd love to visit, take photos and leave some flowers. Can anyone point me to any online details of plot references or is it best to contact Witton directly?
My grandfather Samuel Lucas born 19/10/1879 - 23/3/1933.
Emma (Emily) Woliter born 31/3/1887 - 18/5/1926.
They had a son,
Samuel Lucas born 31/5/1908 - 28/10/1909.
They were all Buried in paupers (common) graves at Witton cemetery.
My grandparent's had three more children, they would speak about the fact that there parents were in paupers graves, not together.
They never spoke of Samuel Jr, I don't think they knew anything about him.
When looking into the family tree Lucas and Woliter not easy names, I found two Samuel's Lucas I knew it must be a mistake, then it all falls into place.
The staff at Witton Cemetery were a great help, the office is in the cemetery they gave me a map to show were the graves are.

Hope this is some help, you never know what you may find in your family tree.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️

Hi all

Hi Friends, I have just returned from Witton Cemetery having paid my £20 to recieve a copy of the entry of death for my Grandmother who died in the 1918 Flu Pandemic. I researched the details reqired on "Birmingham Burials" web page and received a copy by post. The information provided contains the home address at point of death The Plot number and the burial referenence number (this is located on any memorial stone upon the plot). As she died in the pandemic she was buried in a "Common Grave" most of which are unmarked by any memorail but still recorded according to the plot number. After a little searching I found the right location but only to find a modern headstone upon her grave with a burial that was carried out in 1969 this being just 49 years since her death. As I understood it is supposed to be a minimum of 50 to 100 years before a new burial can be placed above but alas that is obviously not the case here. The new headstone was marked with the exact reference number and plot location as my Grandmother so if looking for "Common Graves" here just count along the new headstones as they run in numerical order. My Gran is located upon plot number 47. Further research sugests that the common grave sites were covered with tons of soil so that the existing graves were undisturbed allowing at least 6feet above the original burial. This must have been carried out approx 1950 or before that date. Incidentaly although the two offices remain at Witton they are no longer attended for on site information.

i have a map of the section numbers that maybe of use but you would need to find out the grave numbers as well to find the exact plots and maybe you could be lucky if there are headstones for your family...my grandad is in section 3 along the ridgeway wall grave no 0340View attachment 150589

lyn
Hi Just found this map and have seen another one in colour showing the left as unconsecrated ground and right as consecrated. Do you have any idea why my christan ancestors would be buried in unconsecrated side? He was 76 years old and died in Aston Union Workhouse. Just wondering if this would explain it. Many thanks, Deb

Back