• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Cemetery

I have just discovered that my great grandmother MYRA HOLMES was buried at Witton in June 1915 in a common grave Section 31, No. 37000

Could anyone tell me if because her grave is over 70 years old it has been covered with new earth and used as a new grave?

I think my friend may be buried here, but I'm not sure. If I give her name, date of death, and date of birth, could someone in the cemetery tell me where she's buried?

Following expert advice from Wendy I am posting this request for a burial location look up. It's for my Gt Gt Grandparents. They lived in Holly Lane Aston.
Grandad; Thomas William or William Thomas or Thomas or William !!! His name seemed to vary with his mood at the time of various censuses. Born 1811 died 1875.
Grandmother; Elizabeth or Eliza, born 1807 died 1887.
Their son Thomas born 1848 died 1870 and his wife Elizabeth born 1845 died 1904 Lived in Lister St, Aston.

All their surnames are HOOD.
I know the names are confusing but I would be really grateful for some help.

Stitcher my friend has checked Key Hill Registers and the Hoods are not there so cross this one off.:)

Thank you Wendy and Stitcher. We went to Witton Cem last week to try and find them. Sadly the lady at the office could not locate them in her records and suggested that at that time, Holly lane being in the Erdington area they may have been buried at an Erdington Churchyard of which there are many. She also suggested that the records coulod be found at the central library but we didn't have time to do this. I will create a post and ask for a look up help if anyone is going there. Thanks again for looking. Graham

Thank you Wendy and Stitcher. We went to Witton Cem last week to try and find them. Sadly the lady at the office could not locate them in her records and suggested that at that time, Holly lane being in the Erdington area they may have been buried at an Erdington Churchyard of which there are many. She also suggested that the records coulod be found at the central library but we didn't have time to do this. I will create a post and ask for a look up help if anyone is going there. Thanks again for looking. Graham
have you tried good hope cemetery in sutton? my father lived in holly lane and he is buried at good hope cemetery. it is next to good hope hospital, i am not sure what road it is on.

Thank you jennyann for all your efforts. Are those two the only cemetries in the Erdington parish area that would have carried out burials in those days? If you know of more it would be a great help as I am in Dorset and not up to date with local graveyards. Graham.

Could anyone help me. I am looking for a particular grave at witton cemetery, I have been given both section and plot number, but the map is very blured. Could anyone tell me which end section 175 is.

Thank you and Merry Christmas:star:

This may be better you can see section 175 quite clearly bottom right.

Witton_Cemetery_Map.jpg

Hi Rod..

This is the what I rec'd from Witton Cemetery. I'm not sure what a common grave looks like, such as just a lump of dirt with grass over it?

Joseph Lawrence Gandley - buried 28/08/1904 aged 8
months. Last address 16 Court Great Russell Street. Again buried in a
'Common' grave - section 174 grave 49642.

Matthew Gandley died on 15.1.1870 , was interred on 23.1.1870 in a public grave numbered 16620 in section 103. His last recorded address was Lord Street, Aston Road, Aston he was aged 62 years.

I would be greatful for anything that you could pass on at your convenience.

Karen
Hi Karen, I have a Nan and Uncle in witton cem. when tracing family tree. I went down and asked at the office. They told me it was a grave where they paid £5. It was A big plot where many were buried. There was only a number in the office. They printed a map out and marked the plot no.

Back