• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Cemetery

Im having the same trouble David. cant load photos and getting same messages. Will try phoning Keith later.

I think several people are having trouble accessing the forum and posting photos, etc. I saw a couple of messages last week saying I could not have access to the site. I found another way into it though.

David, thanks for posting the photos at Witton Cemetery. My father's family grave is off to the lower left of the first picture. Just behind the line of trees.
I know what you mean about the sunken graves, etc. You have really look where you are treading when you visit. I always like the view up to the Chapel and when the trees are leafed out it's a great view.

Ok, it's let me upload 1. This inscription intrigued me. It's of Hannah and says "The wife of Thomas Reeves of The Kings Head Allison Birmingham".

Last 3. The first shows he was the President of the Anti-Vaccination League! Had to go on Wikipedia to see what all that was about! The second shows how higgledy piggledy a lot of the headstones are.

David great photo's you are getting as bad as me:rolleyes:......hooked on taking photo's of headstones:D. I think its great as the information on some is like reading a family tree, and you are preserving it. I think it would be fairly easy to find the info on Thomas Reeves of the Kings Head Allison St as he died in 1878.

David, It's a wonder those "higgledy-piggledy" gravestones haven't been roped off with yellow tape - or merely flattened, like they did at Key Hill. I expect they'll get around to them soon though!

You are right Charlie they will get round to it. Look at the third picture on post 58 the middle grave has a blue band around it........I still get so upset about what happened at Key Hill Cemetery.:(

Witton cemetery was my playground when i was little, but there was no desecration and in the winter when the snow was on the ground we had a great time sliding down the slopes from those huge edifice. It was clean and tidy and treated with respect. Today we live in a who cares world, what for and why should i, but the neglect is due to the cut backs. Well , that is what they keep telling us.

I agree to a point my grandfathers grave was vandalized at a cemetery in West Brom. My grandmother had it restored and it happened again. Now there is no headstone or evidence of the grave. My mother told me her mother wanted to be cremated as it was such a worry to her she didn't want the same for her daughter. I feel sad now she couldn't be with her husband and son. I never understand why people do such things.
The problem with the health and safety project early on was that graves were damaged during testing. It is a little better now as they band them until family have them made safe. If not they just lay them flat, but older graves crumble if pushed then all the inscription is lost.:(

Re Charges.
I e-mailed a query to Yardley cem and the information requested came back within 24 hrs. The original search was free any future searches will be £19.00 per half hour.

My Gt Gt Granfather is on the War Memorial at Witton and is also burried there, I do wonder tho as he died in February 1917 from injuries when he was bought back from WW1, but when i checked the Fiches for burials the only one i could find was buried there in the July 1917, it seems a long time between the two dates, does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be? I am hoping to try to find his grave, my nans cousin said he remembers his mother taking him to a grave there as a child and as he has no other family there we assume it must be Gt Gt Grandfather :)

I went to a funeral at Witton cemetery where most of my family are buried, and the chapel is a disgrace. It needs painting and the inside plaster needs attention and painting.
I found the staff at the office very jobsworth and intimidating.

My Gt Gt Granfather is on the War Memorial at Witton and is also burried there, I do wonder tho as he died in February 1917 from injuries when he was bought back from WW1, but when i checked the Fiches for burials the only one i could find was buried there in the July 1917, it seems a long time between the two dates, does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be? I am hoping to try to find his grave, my nans cousin said he remembers his mother taking him to a grave there as a child and as he has no other family there we assume it must be Gt Gt Grandfather :)

claire.put his name on here.the wonderful people on here may help.

Hi Winston, his name is William Martin, someone did find his war records and confirm it's him, and i've seen the picture on the Common Wealth War Graves site, I just don't understand the length of time .. do you think they got his death date wrong? he was bought home and was in hospital in Birmingham when he passed away, I assume it would have been at what is now B'ham Uni in Selly Oak. I haven't been able to find any war records for him so presume they were burnt, so i now tinking they have got his date of death wrong as there's only one William Martin buried there that year and nan has always insisted he is buried there and her cousin does seem to back that up.

Following expert advice from Wendy I am posting this request for a burial location look up. It's for my Gt Gt Grandparents. They lived in Holly Lane Aston.
Grandad; Thomas William or William Thomas or Thomas or William !!! His name seemed to vary with his mood at the time of various censuses. Born 1811 died 1875.
Grandmother; Elizabeth or Eliza, born 1807 died 1887.
Their son Thomas born 1848 died 1870 and his wife Elizabeth born 1845 died 1904 Lived in Lister St, Aston.

All their surnames are HOOD.
I know the names are confusing but I would be really grateful for some help.

Hi Winston, his name is William Martin, someone did find his war records and confirm it's him, and i've seen the picture on the Common Wealth War Graves site, I just don't understand the length of time .. do you think they got his death date wrong? he was bought home and was in hospital in Birmingham when he passed away, I assume it would have been at what is now B'ham Uni in Selly Oak. I haven't been able to find any war records for him so presume they were burnt, so i now tinking they have got his date of death wrong as there's only one William Martin buried there that year and nan has always insisted he is buried there and her cousin does seem to back that up.

claire
i have a photo of the war memorial garden at witton cemetary.with all the plaques with the names on them. and on plaque VII.there is a SERJEANT W MARTIN.14586. WILTSHIRE REGIMENT. 5-2-1917.
as witton is only up the road from me. i could get a photo of it which i can post on here. hope the information helps.

Back