• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Witton Cemetery

It certainly can Reg I get a lift from the smallest bit of Info of my Family

Happy New Year Reg to you & Yours:)

What a fantastic result Reg well done I bet Jamie is over the moon with that result.

On our way home today we took a detour to Witton Cemetery it looked a picture with all the spring flowers out. I went to try and locate the grave of my 3x gt grandparents Richard Thomas and Agatha Yates. I was lucky enough to have been given the section and grave number by Shortie. Off we set map in hand and after about 3 minuets there it was. I am so thrilled its condition is good but needs a clean as its under a tree. Thanks for all your help Shortie it's made my day!:):)

nice one wend...didnt take you too long to locate it:) and well done shortie for helping out...

lyn

hello i'm new here so do forgive me if im intruding. I was wondering if anybody can help. My grandmother (in law) told me the sadest story about how here baby had died in 1944 at 2 days old and as was sadly common in thoses days, was never even told of the death till AFTER the funeral. With a lot of help by looking at other peoples responces to questions on this site, i managed to get a death certificate and with that found out the burial plot at Witton. He is not named on the grave as it is a family grave and they no money to add it on the headstone. My grandmother is extatic with news that she finally knows the burial plot of her baby boy but now (at 87) wants more. Can anybody help me??? I need a picture of the grave he's buried in so i can see if their is room to add his name on it but live in cheshire and she lives in cumbria and is on her last legs. The headstone currently is named as Alice and Benjamin Hill. The location of the grave is section 47 grave number 28043. If anybody could take a picture I can see about getting baby kitson added to the bottom or any info on how i could do this? thanks

hi vmanning oh that is a very sad story indeed...i am sure that dave will do his very best to help you...

lyn

It is a sad story but very sadly as I have learnt on this very interesting family journey, a very common issue. She just recieved the death certificate and all the info off heather from witton cemetry via post and she is so happy/sad. What else i've learnt from this journey is that it's difficult to find your ancestors but the people of birmingham/aston have been so so helpfull, compassionate and kind....so any efforts or even a thought are so thanked. (im only 25 and have lost all faith in the british this week so this has been an amazing reality shoch for me.)

Vicki

vicki you must never lose faith..as you will find out there are a lot of very kind and helpful folk on this forum who will do their best to help you..if you get stuck with anything just ask and will will do our best to help you...i spent 2 years trying to trace a relative who died just mins after she was born in 1945 and thanks to this forum i found her a few weeks ago buried in a grave at key hill along with nearly 50 others...another sad story and next week i will be going to see where she was laid to rest and take flowers...but you are quite right about when you say that researching our family history is very interesting and also very rewarding when it all comes together...oh i nearly forgot..a very warm welcome to the forum..hope you enjoy it...:):)

lyn

How kind of you both well done Dave for finding the grave I may call on your services if I get stuck:D

I hope Vicky is pleased.:)

I am over welmed by how amazing the photos are, the quality and the speed....I can not thank any of you enougth....I called my father in law last night and forwarded him the pics to show my grandma (in law) at his disgretion. I don't want to overwhelm her too much as it has been a very quick procewss and yesterday she recieved the death certificate and all death,marrage logs I could find for her other ancestors with easy surnames (sprason of aston.) Really want to call her but I need to remember that even after nearly 70 years it must be so hard to finally have a place you know where your baby is buried. Our biggest shock was the fact the grave had a pot on it saying "baby John" We really now must find out how/who put it there. I can not thank dave/reg enougth and would like to reimburse you for the flowers so how....if not i will make a donation to a charity of your choice. You really have put a 66year old mystery to rest, and most importaintly a mother can finally have a place to say goodbye to her baby boy before she herself pass's on. A million thank yous.....I genuinly can not thank you enougth.

Vicki xxx

well now my grandmother (in law) wants me to trace her family history...nightmare...hard enougth to do with a death and birth date but ahhh!!!! I wonder if hes related in some way to my grandmas (in law) mothers side. Don't suppose your related to the Lewis family also haha....make my life nice and easy??? Again a million thank yous for your efforts and thoughts. PS she is about to view the photos as Jon (she named her living son jon too!-my father in law) is currently downloading the emails sent via dave. She got all excited when I told her an hour ago about them. Becasue of how helpful folks of birmingham have been she seems to think I can EASILY trace her whole family tree lol!!!!! ah!

Thought I would tag on to this thread than create a brand new one.

I've read alot that you only have right to the plot for 75 years, but I was just reading the deed of a relative and it says "grants to her (the payee), her heirs, and assign 'for ever' the exclusive right to the burial plot"

Does the "for ever" not grant it forever and not just 75 years?

Back