• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Witton Cemetery Sections1 and 5

I have in my mother's box of mementos black rimmed notes of the burial of gran and granddad Gibson in Witton cemetery. Also somewhere here filed away under 'lost' at the moment I have a purchase note of a three deep plot for my maternal grandparents of which only two were used.
I'll find them and post pictures if anyone's interested.

Need some help. I have a very poorly friend, and cannot visit because of
lockdown, and have been unable to for a year.
She used to go and tend her parents grave at Witton.
I would like to go and tidy the grave, and put flowers on.
Unfortunately have no idea we’re the grave is, and my hubby cannot recall when he took her once.
I knew her Mum first name but not her Dads, and cannot find them on Witton’s find a grave site.
Do not want to put her surname on here, but anything would be helpful to find the grave by last surname only. Her mother passed away approx 35 years ago.
Also how can I access the cemetery by car, daft question in some respects I only live in Perry Common, but I cannot see a gate for driving in.Any help would be helpful.

hi diane without the full name of the deceased i dont think we can help so can i suggest that you phone up witton cem and ask them where the grave is you need the section number and the grave number hopefully there is a headstone which will make it easier to find...i was there last week hunting down my grandad...there is a car entrance towards the bottom end of the ridgeway and also one at moor lane..i have always found the staff at witton very helpful so good luck

lyn

Last edited:
Need some help. I have a very poorly friend, and cannot visit because of
lockdown, and have been unable to for a year.
She used to go and tend her parents grave at Witton.
I would like to go and tidy the grave, and put flowers on.
Unfortunately have no idea we’re the grave is, and my hubby cannot recall when he took her once.
I knew her Mum first name but not her Dads, and cannot find them on Witton’s find a grave site.
Do not want to put her surname on here, but anything would be helpful to find the grave by last surname only. Her mother passed away approx 35 years ago.
Also how can I access the cemetery by car, daft question in some respects I only live in Perry Common, but I cannot see a gate for driving in.Any help would be helpful.
Diane, Lyn is correct to say without family name you will be lucky to find a grave at witton cemetery.
But if you contact the office 0121 303 4363, they will try to help you, with the Covid issues the gates are not always open at present you will need to ask at office.

Hope you are able to find your friends grave.

Nick Phillips

Just to let everyone who posted I did finally find the grave, another friend of my friend remembered what row it was in .
Thank you all for your input Diane
Diane, I after many years searching found my Grand Parents graves and first born child ( my uncle) I had no dates but with the help of staff were able to find the three graves.
0121 303 4363.

Last edited:
Hi all, looking for some help, I have located 2 graves I have been looking for for sometime now, the graves are apparently located in Sections 1 & 5, however all the maps I have seen do not show these two areas. Does anyone have a map they can either send me or upload to this site please? I was hoping to see them on the map before I go at the weekend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ron
I visited 29th October 2021 from the Moor Lane entrance. There is a laminated notice board showing the consecrated and unconsecrated plots and also the sections... There are probably well over 100 sections all numerically marked.

It used to be criminals (or certain ones at least) and unbaptised babies. Awful to mention them in the same sentence.
Witton Cemetery viewed from the Moor lane entrance is split into two halves. The steps leading to The Ridgeway being the dividing line. Plots on the lefthand side are in the unconsecrated ground whilst to the right, it's consecrated. Catholics, None conformists, Methodists, Atheists, etc etc are Buried in Unconsecrated Soil. Consecrated means it's Land whereby Baptised members of the Religion of the Established church are buried. The established Church since the reformation was the Church of England.

I visited 29th October 2021 from the Moor Lane entrance. There is a laminated notice board showing the consecrated and unconsecrated plots and also the sections... There are probably well over 100 sections all numerically marked.

Hi all, looking for some help, I have located 2 graves I have been looking for for sometime now, the graves are apparently located in Sections 1 & 5, however all the maps I have seen do not show these two areas. Does anyone have a map they can either send me or upload to this site please? I was hoping to see them on the map before I go at the weekend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ron
Ring the office 0121 303 4361, they will send you a map

Back