• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Witton Cemetery - Register Meaning

Bronwen Summers

knowlegable brummie
Can anyone advise what this means: Grave 'common'

I expect it means that she is buried with many others and their is no marker perhaps?

Harriet Probert
d.1883 Jan 13 Witton Cemetery, 17 Moor Lane, Witton, Birmimgham, Warwickshire, Eng. aged 66, living in Ravenhurst St, Holy Trinity Parish, situation of grave: square 173, no 50493 description of grave ‘common’

thanks Bronwen, Christchurch, NZ

yes bronwen you are correct...harriet could be buried along with as little as 10 others but as many as 150 plus...this is the case with key hill cemetery because i have ancestors there but not sure about witton...my advise would be to phone them up and they should be able to tell you

hope this helps

lyn

Last edited:
Bronwen - my great-greats are buried there - cemetery plan attached - Susan is in a common grave (section 96) - pic attached looking up towards the chapel - with others and no marker as you say - you work out where the grave is by eye and the numbered headstones either side. Richard is in a private grave (section 100) in the lower part of the cemetery - pic attached. Section 173 just behind it, and as I recall, was quite bare of headstones like much of the background in the pic - and yes, that's our busy M6 elevated motorway in the the far background - incredibly noisy - you can't hear yourself think at that end of the cemetery nowadays - Bill, Malvern Wells, UK

Attachments

• Witton Cem Map2015.pdf
    294.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0160LR.JPG
    IMG_0160LR.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0162LR.JPG
    IMG_0162LR.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 36
thanks for the map of witton bill...i do have one but its not as clear as the one you posted...my grandad is buried in section 3 grave no 0340 which is alongside the ridgeway...

lyn

Many thanks to you all especially for the photos. I will email them just to check. But I am surprised 9 shillings was paid over.I had looked on-line and had seen the motorway was right there.

thanks Bronwen, Christchurch, NZ

Back