• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Witton Cemetery Memorial Garden revival

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
I read this article today in the Birmingham Post and it is very uplifting indeed.
I was unable to get the link to work so here is the article:

Royal reward for memorial garden youngsters

Mar 24 2008 By Neil Connor, Chief Reporter
A team of community-spirited unemployed Birmingham youngsters have been recognised by royalty after they revived a Second World War memorial garden.
The six youngsters were honoured by the Prince of Wales at the The Prince's Trust & RBS Celebrate Success Awards by receiving the RBS Community Impact Award for their work at Witton Cemetery, Birmingham.
Also attending the glittering London ceremony were Hollywood actors Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Spacey, Richard E Grant and Charlie Cox.
But the Birmingham youngsters were the star attraction of the Oscar-style ceremony held last week at London's Leicester Square Odeon.
The awards recognise young people who have overcome homelessness and unemployment to achieve success.
The overgrown and vandalised memorial garden in Witton Cemetery was transformed by the young people and is now a beautiful space for relatives of people buried at the cemetery.
Laura Crook, aged 24, said: "It's a great sense of achievement. It was something really special that we did. Knowing that it is a memorial for the civilians that died in the Second World War, it does mean a lot, especially knowing that families can come here now to sit in a nice garden."
The team revitalised the area by digging flowerbeds, repairing gates and walls, planting new shrubs and trees and replacing the stolen bird bath with a stone sun dial.
Ashley Monteiro, aged 21, added: "It feels like I've actually done something. I mean, everyone that's going to come to the memorial garden now is going to be thinking that someone has done a good job."
All the winners at The Prince's Trust & RBS Celebrate Success awards have come through a range of Prince's Trust programmes for 14 to 30-year-olds who have struggled at school, have been in care, are long term unemployed or have been in trouble with the law.
The trust helps change young lives in the UK through practical and financial support, developing skills as well as confidence and motivation.
Brian Wright, 48, of Hodge Hill, a member of Birmingham Air Raids Remembrance Society, thanked the six youngsters for their help breathing new life into the memorial garden.
He said: "My grandfather was a civilian who died during the Birmingham air raids in the Second World War and he is buried at Witton Cemetery.
"My mum and I went along to the unveiling of the memorial garden and we both thought it was fantastic. The garden means a lot to us because he does not have a permanent tombstone because he was buried during the time when there was heavy bombing in Birmingham.
"I think the young people from The Prince's Trust did a fantastic job and they deserve their award."
The group was presented with the award by actor Damian Lewis at the prestigious ceremony. He said: "Civilians who died in the Second World War heavy bombing were often buried without a permanent tombstone.
"I think the young people from this Prince's Trust team did an amazing thing, providing a crucial place for relatives to remember their lost ones. These young people have really changed lives in their local community."
The Prince of Wales set up The Prince's Trust because he wanted to help young people in the UK. The trust has helped more than 575,000 young people since 1976 and needs to raise £1 million a week to continue this support.

Motivaton

Motivation, a purpose and a direction in life. I think if more children received motivation they would achieve a lot more from life. If you think about it, it must be hard for the children of today we had to get on with life or else, this made us what we are. There lives are not as stable as most of our lives were. Then again that is my opinion....Cat:)

Saw this on the Midlands News some time ago. The youngsters were really dedicated and very proud of it. Let's hope it doesn't get vandalised by other, equally dedicated (!) youngsters!

Jennyann thanks for posting that, it's a brilliant story I will have to go and see it now!

Hopefully, The Memorial Garden will remain unscarred, etc. I know where it is and it was in pretty sad shape a few years ago. Hopefully, The Friends of Witton Cemetery will keep an eye on it. :)

Thank you Jennyann for your posting, we will pop in and have a look at the garden next time we have a few minutes to spare when we are 'home'.:)

Cat....you are totally right about children these days...not all but some in general.

For fear of going off topic I will post a thread in the Snug about having
initiative, motivation, etc. in young children in a follow up to reading articles
regarding no consequences for bad behaviour and reception classes full of kids who simply won't do as they are told when they start school:(

Back