• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Cemetery burial records

Brock

master brummie
Hello all,

I would dearly love to learn of the final resting place of my great grandparents & wondered whether anyone can help me please ~ I have been told that the burial records for Witton cemetery are held at the Birmingham Central Library & wondered whether anyone might be able to spare a few moments please on a library visit to look for me please. I am unable to get to the library myself at the moment due to a spinal problem.

William Jones died on 18th January 1903 whilst at work, aged 44 years. His home address was 15 Sydney Road, off Garrison Lane, Small Heath in Birmingham. An inquest on his death was held on 21st January 1903 after which time I assume his body was then available for burial.

My great grandmother's name was Fanny Jones & she passed away on 17th May 1906 aged 50 years at her home address of 5 Camp Street, Small Heath which was also off Garrison Lane in the parish of Aston.

Any help would be most appreciated please as I would dearly love to learn of their final resting place.
With Many Thanks.

Hello Brock, personally, I would not bother with Central Library anyway, as you would be making a journey (post back problem) which gives you only a small amount of help, as you only get the burial number. My advice would be to email Witton (address on the BCC web site) and give them the details. It might be a week or two before you get a reply, but reply they do.

If they are not at Witton, I would then look for the place where their children lived (or the informant on the certificates) as you may just find their children buried them near to their own homes for obvious reasons. Then it is a case of trying the nearest cemetery, but it's a jump ahead of where you are now. Happy hunting!

Shortie

Hi Shortie,
Many thanks for the advice. I will do as you have suggested & hopefully will discover more in the very near future.
Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.

Brock

You are welcome Brock. If you have difficulties, come back on here and we will see what we can do.

Shortie

Dear Brock
I called in to the library this evening and had a look at the Witton cemetry records - couldn't find any that would relate to either William of Fanny.
I had a look at Yardley too (I had relatives in Garrison Lane who were buried at this cemetery) but no joy for Fanny. There were two William Jones entries for 1903 but late on in the year and unlikely to be your chap I think: the information however is as follows..
Jones William Burial 5 283, Grave 7 25, purchased grave 4 109
Jones William Burial 5 286, Grave 2 272

I did search through the probate index volumes and found the following entry from1903..
Jones William of 15 Sydney Road, Birmingham, railway clerk, died 17 January 1903; Administration Birmingham 21 February to Fanny Jones, widow. Effects £85
The entry does read 17/01/1903 - not the 18th?!

Hope that this is of some help
Regards
Andy

I can't thank you enough Andy ~ it was so kind of you to help me in this way.
The news of the probate info is totally unknown to me so I am very pleased to have learned that. Does this mean that William left a will?

Once again, thank you so much.
Brock.

Dear Brock
He would not have left a will - you will notice that the entry reads administration of the estate was granted to his widow, rather that probate. I did not find an entry for Fanny in th 1906 or 1907 volumes.
Regards
Andy

Hi Andy, this type of record is new to me I'm afraid. Can I ask you please, where can I apply to in order to obtain a copy of the paperwork showing this record?
Once again, thank you so much.
Also, it seems that you have proven for me that William & Fanny were not buried in either Witton or Yardley cemetery ~ have you any ideas about the next most likeliest cemetery to try?
Brock.

I have checked Key Hill Cemetery they are not there. Maybe you should try Warstone Lane cemetery?

Hello Wendy, many thanks for checking out Key Hill cemetery on my behalf, that it really kind of you.
I will do as you have suggested & try to discover if they were buried at Warstone Lane cemetery instead.
I am really very surprised by this ~ We always thought that they had been buried at Witton Cemetery as had many of the other family members who lived close by each other in the Small Heath area.
Once again, many thanks for your very kind help.
Brock.

Hi Andy, I checked with the Central Library who were able to give me the contact details of where I can apply to in order to obtain a copy of the paperwork re. the administration papers which you informed me of.
I am very grateful to you for informing me of this new information. William had gone to work as normal showing no signs of illness & whilst working he collapsed & died. Shockingly, this left Fanny a widow with 6 young children to look after & so this money would have been a great help to her at this awful time. I have checked the amount on the old money converter on the National Archives sit & £85 at this period of time equates to around £4850 at todays value so I have found great comfort to know that there was this money to help relieve a little of the family's money worries.
Thanks again,
Brock.

I would love to find my great grandmothers grave. Clara day 1875-1952. she is in witton cemetery. not sure if her husband William Henry day is with her or not. I'm doing this for my mum, she has no memory of them, but she would really love to know where they are buried. if anyone can help it would be really appreciated.

H i Vnessie, nice to hear from you and welcome. Do you have a date of death? I can see two Clara Day's who died in 1952, one Clara J was 82 and the other was 77. Would your mother know her age I wonder?

Lady P - the dates given in #12 would suggest it is the Clara aged 77. The grave seems to be a common one as I found several different names with the same reference.

hi all, Clara was 77 when she died. Dec 1952 is the date of death I have so far. so #12 sounds the best bet at the moment. I will email witton cemetery if I get the exact date of death. thanks for your help. ( mum didn't even know their names until a few weeks ago, so has no idea of ages etc.)

Hi Janice, Yes, of course you're right, a bit early for me and I missed that bit of information (probably hadn't woken up properly)! That narrows it down to a quarter doesn't it but last time I asked Witton they wanted an exact date. The other Clara left a will so it's unlikely that she would have been buried in a common grave.

Vnessie, Your gt grandmother's death was registered in the December Qtr of 1952 and the reference for a death certificate is Volume 9c Page 343 if you wanted to apply for one.
I found a Clara Day on the 1911 census living in Nechells / Duddeston, is that your gt grandmother? She appears to have been born in Derbyshire.
Good Luck with your search.

hi lady p, Clara is living at 41 claverton street, Bloomsbury on the 1911 census. she was born in derby though. she lived in Birmingham from 1900 till her death in 1952. they lived at 122 addersley road, for many years, and ran a greengrocers shop there until 1948. thanks for the ref number.

There is a burial of a William Henry at Witton 1956 but, again, it seems to be a common grave. No idea if this is the right one? I have found a William Henry and a Clara Day (b 1875) on the 1911 census living at 41 Claverdon Street. Children listed are William (12), Ada (10), Laurance (8), Alfred (5), Thomas (3) and Gladys (16 mths). Not sure if they are your family or not. He is listed as a green grocer.

Back