• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Barracks

There must be quite a bit of info available, but can you be a bit more specific, or is it just a general outline?

(There is a Thread for Witton Barracks but has very little information, also one Aston Barracks.)

Last edited:
There must be quite a bit of info available, but can you be a bit more specific, or is it just a general outline?

(There is a Thread for Witton Barracks but has very little information, also one Aston Barracks.)
My Mother told me many years ago that her brother Sgt. W Powell marched along Witton Lane on his way to the first world war.
Thats as much as I know.

Pity you haven’t a bit more info about Sgt Powell’s service Norridge. Maybe someone could search records for his military service info.

I’ve searched papers and found a parade of ex guardsmen. Presumably they’d been retired from the guards just before the end of the war.
11C1C383-F031-4357-98FC-3B2D2C0B0366.jpeg

And a couple of snippets about the cadets at the Barracks

9CDD9FE8-F6E7-4046-A4B8-414D7BF62758.jpegA7D0D608-2614-494B-A980-9F93C85DF8D4.jpeg

It’s diffucult to focus a search without more info but these may at least give you a glimpse of the Barracks activities. Viv.

Don't forget very few service records from WW1 survive. One question - sorry to ask - did he survive? Also names of parents or a wife might help a search.

I had looked down on Aston Barracks from the earth embankment at the top of the Witton End at Villa Park, but know little about it. It looks like the Barracks were part of the Lower Grounds and leased around 1908 by Edward Ansell, for the formation of the Aston Battalion of the Territorials. It was the Recruiting Officefor Aston during the Great War.

59E65E41-CBC7-4F44-A240-A4457D6D415A.jpeg

Closd as a Territorial Army HQTS on Sunday 4th November 1956. The building seems to have been the Aquarium at the Lower Grounds before being taken over by the Territorials in 1908.

Back