• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Aston Manor Tram Depot

This picture shows tram 395 outside the paint shop at Kyotts Lake Road in 1952,prior to restoration,and then permanent display in the museum.

Colin

Looking down Witton Road, with the Witton Arms to the left. This image shows a basic circle of cobbles where the girl is standing. Looks like a waiting place for buses/trams? According to Mikes 1917 map (post #7) trams passed behind where the girl is standing ie in front of the Aston Hotel. Sorry, no date but must be early 1900s. Viv.

View attachment 108746

It may be of help that the 1902 OS Map does not show the Tram Depot, but the 1913 does.

"A tram depot, initially built in 1882 for the borough of Aston Manor to house steam tram carriages, and then extensively altered in 1904 and converted to house double-decker electric trams."

Last edited:
Looking down Witton Road, with the Witton Arms to the left. This image shows a basic circle of cobbles where the girl is standing. Looks like a waiting place for buses/trams? According to Mikes 1913 map (post #7) trams passed behind where the girl is standing ie in front of the Aston Hotel. Sorry, no date but must be early 1900s. Viv.

View attachment 108746

The pole to the right, in the road, carries telephone drop wires. Would the larger diameter wires be power lines for a Tram? Would not fancy climbing that pole!

Aston Manor tram depot on just off Witton Square in Witton Road. Opened in 1882 and the buildng has survived today despite various uses since it closed as a the tram depot in 1950. Viv

image.jpeg

Inside the Witton Road tram depot when it was a museum and before it moved out in 2011. It's grade 2 listed and the tram lines, the cobbled surfaces and pits cannot be disturbed. So the current business (conference & events venue) covered over the floors for events. Viv.

image.jpeg

just to add to that viv...the walls were also covered up for protection...i was in there while that was going on...just managed to catch a last glimpse of part of the cobbles and tram lines before they were boarded over with raised flooring..:( in fact i was most likely the last person to see them and lord know how long it will be before they are seen again..there are more of my photos on the forum...under aston manor transport museum..

Attachments

• WITTON TRAM SHED...MARCH 2014 001.JPG
    WITTON TRAM SHED...MARCH 2014 001.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Birmingham Transport Museum exhibits were moved from the tram shed to a converted factory unit in Shenstone Close, Aldridge. I've never been, but I've heard it's quite popular.

All the best,

Graham

Hi Alan,

thanks for your very kind comments! I felt I was spending way too much time on the computer, posting to a number of forums about various subjects, and missing out on my other interests. I have passed on your regards to Maire, and she says "Hi!"

I do remember very well the Billiard Hall on Witton Road close to the Circle. I only went in once, never again! It had a bad local reputation, well-deserved I'd say. I don't know what it is now, if it's still standing. The main gate of ICI/IMI was very impressive - at one time there was a branch of Lloyd's Bank adjacent to it, and for a few years I used it. Someone at the Bank told me that the building was once part of ICI, but I can't remember its function. The whole lot has gone now, of course.

With regard to another post, the Birmingham Transport Museum exhibits were moved from the tram shed to a converted factory unit in Shenstone Close, Aldridge. I've never been, but I've heard it's quite popular.

All the best,

Graham
Just a small correction Graham, the museum is at Shenstone Drive, Aldridge (just in case anyone searching for it gets confused). One of the very last acts that our directors did before we were forced out of Witton tram shed was to get the building listed, even though we were being evicted there was a determination to get some protection for the building.

Simon

and hats off to you all for doing that simon but it not the same... it still rankles me that that wonderful building and its special interior is no longer available for the people of birmingham to see...its just not right...if ever i had the power and or the money it would certainly be a building i would give back to the city and its people because as we all know...money talks...rant over:rolleyes:

lyn

Just a small correction Graham, the museum is at Shenstone Drive, Aldridge (just in case anyone searching for it gets confused). One of the very last acts that our directors did before we were forced out of Witton tram shed was to get the building listed, even though we were being evicted there was a determination to get some protection for the building.

Simon
Hi Simon,

yep, "Drive" is it - I don't know why I made this mistake, as the garage that does my MoT's is right opposite the Museum.

One little memory that's just come to mind. Shortly after the trams were taken off Brum's streets, my elder brother went to Witton Depot where they were scrapping some of the trams, and bought a large piece of plywood for the base-board of his Hornby railway. I went with him, and between us we hauled this panel, which was about 7' x 7', back to our house in The Broadway. I think it was a piece of a ceiling, as it was beautifully decorated on one side with lovely brown and gold scroll-work, and varnished. There were loads of other stuff being sold off, as I recall.

Graham

Dave. Your visits to Grandad must have been fun with passing the depot each time. Lots of bustling, noisy activity.

The Historic England listing in post #35 talks about Aston Manor being a separate borough when the depot was built and this building along with others demonstrated the area's confidence and independence. The facade certainly echoes this with its bold name plaque. Something I wouldn't have picked up on by simply looking at the functional and austere interior (obviously that's only as you'd expect of any tram depot interior!) Viv.

image.jpeg

Both Parker and I were very sad when the tram museum closed. I'm not much into vehicles but just to stand there and enjoy the space and the memories was wonderful. A little bit off topic but some time ago they were 'doing things' in Erdington High Street and the old tram tracks were exposed and in some places removed. I don't actually remember when the trams went down the High Street, before anyone asks! Parker set off to claim a small piece of history. The workman said he could have as much as he liked so he brought a large piece home and planted it in our patio. How he carried it I'll never know - I couldn't even lift it. It's still there but under the veranda now.

oh wow pen thats great...how lovely to have a bit of erdington tram history..just the sort of thing i would have done given the chance lol

lyn

Dave. Your visits to Grandad must have been fun with passing the depot each time. Lots of bustling, noisy activity.

Wished i had a camera then but young, always looked in each open entrance on passing, and stepped over the rails,

Back