• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Witton and District Allotments Limited

Hi Pedrocut - do you know from where this photograph was taken, looks like from the back bedroom of a house on Brookvale Road?

Post 61 shows new uses for earlier buildings. A converted air raid shelter and next door seems to have a prefab?

Yes, imported from elsewhere.

In this picture it shows that some allotment holders had large areas and in reality it was a market garden. Probably on the “Committee.”

Quite right.
I used to live at 213 opposite the refuse destructor, the house was demolished along with the stonemasons to make way for the M6. My father had an allotment and I remember him taking me to see the pigs on one of the plots. I also gained a life long fear of dogs after being bitten by one in the right of way which stretched along the back of the houses from the Barn.

I used to live at 213 opposite the refuse destructor, the house was demolished along with the stonemasons to make way for the M6. My father had an allotment and I remember him taking me to see the pigs on one of the plots. I also gained a life long fear of dogs after being bitten by one in the right of way which stretched along the back of the houses from the Barn.

You may be able to see your house in this picture taken from near the distructor, and showing Roddis and Norse the stonemasons...

You may be able to see your house in this picture taken from near the distructor, and showing Roddis and Norse the stonemasons...
Yes, our house was the second one from the stonemasons with the white front. I would say that was early 60s but there is little to go on and my brother reckons it could be 50s. Surprisingly enough for a girl from Birmingham, the next door neighbour's daughter married a lighthouse keeper.

Wow! That cutting brings back memories. Every Sunday morning, before and during the war, my brother and I used to go up to those allotments to an old couple who sold their produce. We used to return home with cabbage and potatoes, mint and rhubarb. Still remember chomping on the rhubarb as we walked back home. The old couple were lovely to us.

Back