• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton and District Allotments Limited

Barry Page

proper brummie kid
Hello:

Does anyone have any information about Witton and District Allotments Limited?

My late step-grandfather, Victor Thomas Crawford, was the Company General Secretary of Witton and District Allotments Limited in the 1930s.

All I know is that Witton and District Allotments Limited was the main grocery product growers and suppliers to the Birmingham city markets.

Thanks and best regards.

- Barry :)

Witton Allotments.

:D Were they the ones at the back of the Barn Social or the ones off Holdford Drive. My old friends grandad used to manage the Barn many years ago and also kept pigs there. If it is this one I am still in touch with his grandaughter Denise. Bye for now. Jean.:D

My late father in law had an allotment on the land behind the Barn during the war years, he and his next door neighbour kept a pig on it. They were suposed to keep half of the pig and give the other half to the Ministry of Food, but there was always a scam to hide the pig and not report the slaughter.:)

Oh yes Di, my uncle Jack, Mom's brother lived with us for 30 years after Dad died. He was a slaughter man and butcher he told me many stories about these hidden animals. At the end of the war when he left the RAF there was in great demand of his services as a slaughter man! My mother would go mad when he told me these tales she didn't hold with it at all.

Quote All I know is that Witton and District Allotments Limited was the main grocery product growers and suppliers to the Birmingham city markets.

I would have to doubt that statement, the markets were supplied with produce from all over the Country.

I believe there were many allotment clubs. My husband went to Saltley amateur gardeners club in the early 60's which was an allotment club.......he was only in his twenties and not at all interested in gardening. I think some were just good social clubs.

witton allotments

my dad had a allotment on Brookevale road in the 1940 s we used to go there a lot it was close to end of the Ridgeway lots of houses there now Allen

allotments.

:D I found this old photo of my nan and step grandad by his allotment. They lived in Franchise Street Perry Barr. They used to walk across the train line to get to it. Bye. Jean.:D

:redface: Sorry Barry but Denise didn't get back. Pat said she uses face book now. Bye Jean. :redface:

Hi Jean:

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your efforts getting in touch with Denise.

Sincerely,

Barry;)

Hi,

I believe that I had shares in that at some stage. I too am interested in learning more. My grandfather was a silversmith in the area and my father inherited some shares in W&D allotments.

Hello:

Thanks for getting in touch and expressing your interest. Unfortunately I don't have a great deal of information: only that my late step-grandfather, Victor Thomas Crawford, was the Company General Secretary of Witton and District Allotments Limited in the 1930s.

However, I do have a photo of him that I can share if you want to contact me privately at [email protected].

My aunt's father, Joseph Henry Smith, was involved in the 'blacking' and 'Japanning' trades in the area, and I'm trying to trace this lineage. Any connections with your grandfather's silversmithing activities?

Kindest regards. - Barry

Hi Jennyann:

Many thanks for this important link. I will certainly write to the Web site's President and see if he can shed any light on my enquiry. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

Much appreciated - Barry

Barry two photo's of the allotments at Holdford Drive that have been there for years. Not very good ones as there was a stream of trafic on there way to the tip. There used to be two semi's there but they have been demolished. Jean.

Here are two more. It is a very large site surrounded with iron railings. A sign of the times I presume. Jean.

They look alright to me keep your hands still that's all or get out of the Car and lean on something like the car.

Alf was going to get out then from nowhere there came dustcarts and cars. Pete is taking us to the allotment by the Boars head next week [might even get to pop in for one] and will be able to pull up in the grove opposite. Jean. PS. Thanks for finding the thread for me Alf.

Hi Jean and Alf:

Many thanks for the photos. I really appreciate your (extraordinary) efforts to secure them, especially dodging the dust carts, etc. I hope you manage a pint or two at the Boar's Head, but take any pictures beforehand - we don't want any 'camera shake' as a result of a couple of Ansell's!

Talk to you later.

Barry

Back