• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Witton and Aston Barber Shops

My local barber was Norman Blizzard on Witton Roadjust up from the corner of Mansfeild Road. Mr. Blizzard was a nice man but you never really knewwhat kind of a cut you would end up with. The best you could hope for was thatit wouldn’t be the “thirty-nine steps” or a “pudding basin” cut which left my thin andlifeless hair sticking out all over the place. If you weren't specific about what you wanted you would end up with short back and sides, even if you were specific you might still end up with a "buz" cut.I hated getting my hair cut when I was young. For some strange reason I was afraid of beingelectrocuted by the electric clippers, so Mr. Blizzard would grudgingly use apair of hand operated clippers. The problem was that they never seemed to besharp, so he would constantly pull at my hair – I think he may have done itpurposely either to teach me a lesson or so that I would relent and accept the morelabour saving electric clippers. Another thing I hated about Blizzardswas that there was nearly always a long wait with sometimes as many as sixpeople sitting around. The room was usually filled with cigarette smoke and ofcourse a few customers had the inevitable smokers hack, probably from sucking on unfiltered Woodbines. What made theexperience worse was that if Mr. Blizzard was really busy he would often takeadults before children regardless of whether it was your turn or not. This wasin the days before children became the centre of attention and were given morerights and privileges than their age and position in society deserved.Essentially children were persona non grata and were expected to show deferenceto their elders. Disrespect would bring you a swift clout about the head, evenfrom a stranger and if you complained to your parents you were just as likelyto get another clout from them for bringing shame to the family. There was nosuch thing as talking back to your elders or arguing with them and youcertainly did not refuse to do what you were asked.

Thanks Harry. Nothing is ringing bells with Pete but will ask his older brothers. One just phoned and I forgot to mention it.

hi mike
my very first barber was the gallagher brothers on lichfield rd oppersite old mattys radio shop which was really on the corner of lower portland street and upper portland street and across the main rd of lichfield rd from cromwell terrace next to the horse toth and facing ansells and the crossing was out side there shop i was five years old when the old man took me there we lived at 5/92 lichfield rd them many years later we moved to ladywood but i kept coming back to aston there was one on the monument rd next to the station pub and the railway station ; but i came down to witton cicle the old fella there was a cracking barber but eventualy he left
then i met phil lynch up at bordesly green and been going thje for fifty years now and alway took my kids hair they are in he mid thirtys and they still go to phil
even thou he moved further up at the yew tree ; good barber best wishes Astonian;;

Hi mikejee. You are right with the No 177. I remember the Hardware shop at 169-171 that was 3 shops away, but I went the wrong way in calculating the numbers. Harry

Hi Paul,I had my hair cut at Blowers.
Same barber but different size basin.
I also used George Fisher on the corner of New John St West and Great Hampton Row.Moss

I went to Horrace to have my ears lowered as a kid in early 60s he had a younger assistant who left at a later date he used to slap the bricream on sitting on a board was fun.

What about Mr BEE BEE in Curch Lane Aston up near Paines Cake shop. He had a grey Parrot in a cage. Family secret . When I was a youngster dad got our Charlie to take me to him because my hair was a bit long and didn't want people to think I was a girl. Mom cried for a week at the sight of me and dad received a bit of cold tongue for his tea. Regards David. PS Wally Brannigan was another Barber in Church Lane but he was on the other side of the road.

The shop in Church lane rings a bell David!. Your poor dad having to eat cold tongue eh. A Mr Reading used to come in to cut dads hair as he only lived a few doors away. I think he worked on Witton road somewhere?.

The vimage that I think you have seen is of my dad - his first shop. I have had a 20" x 30" B&W print done and framed - very nostalgic. Unfortunately, my dad died 26 April 2011. Thanks, Ken.

sorry it's not Jack Terry it's George Albert Winfield
Outside his barbers shop at
1 Clarendon Street C1930's
Jean he did me a short back and sides and it never grew back LOL I now have quite a wide parting
George Albert Winfield was my Dad. Ken.

Hey Jean, where we going with thiis??
I remember a barbers shop in Aston Road between Dartmouth Street and Hubert Street. It was quite close to Hubert St next to the paper shop (newsagent). I can picture the barber holding the mirror behind my head to show me my Boston Square. Now Jean, don't get excited - it was the name of a hairstyle in the early 60s!!
ooo i remember him if he was the one by Aston auto motors he made a right mess of my hair. and mom was not a happy woman

George Albert Winfield was my Dad. Ken.
Hi Ken, my mum lived about 6 doors away at 143 Park Lane (Keight's bicycle shop), I remember showing her that picture and she told me she used to babysit a young girl that lived there, this would be around 1945, she couldn't remember the name, perhaps a relation of yours?

Back