• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

WISEMAN / CROWDERILL Family Tree

Gill Wiseman

proper brummie kid
Research has shown that in the 1851 Census:
James Wiseman was married to Sarah (Bishop) (Aged at this time 38 and 39)
Living at 334 Summer Lane.
Children were:
John, Selina, Betsey, Sarah, Emily, HENRY, Ellen.

HENRY - found to be christened JAMES HENRY (Born 1848)
Married Mary Ann Crowderill and had children:
Henry Leonard, James Howard, Lilla, George Horace, William Edwin,
DAVID FRANCIS, Joseph Frederick..
They lived in Weamon Row/Loveday Street and Bordesley Park Road.

David Francis was my grandfather.

Any Links appreciated especially for the surname CROWDERILL.
I have put this into many search engines and never found anything.
I have a copy of the marriage certificate for James Henry and Mary Ann
which is not a very good photocopy. They married on 19th October 1872 at St. Peter & Paul Church which I believe is now Aston Parish Church.

Re: Connections to WISEMAN / CROWDERILL Family Tree

The Cowrdrills Lived at the back of us in the 50's Alfred and Hilda 2 back of 79 Cromwell Strret Nechells the name of the children was Joyce and I cannot remember the other one

There were some Cowdrills living in Guildford St in the 50s around about number 20. There was also a shop at the bottom of Wheeler St, one in Farm Street and another up by the Villa Cross. They sold bycycles, radios and other electrical goods. Alfred Cowdrill and sons, 267 & 270 Farm St, 100 Wheeler St ans 3 Barker St. I had to go there to get the accumulator (a battery for radios) recharged. The Cowdeill Brothers had a small factory at Guildford Street in an old chapel, Cowdrill Bros; I think they did electroplating and press working; you could get you bycycle frame chromium plated there. Sometimes, before I started school, my mother would take me with her to visit a woman living above a shop in Wheeler St. In my mind she was a Cowdrill and could not go out due to long term illness. However as I was under five, the memory is vague and I may have got it wrong. I knoe that one of the grandsons moved to the Peterborough. I taught his son IT in the 1990s. I am sorry that I have no further details about him as I retired from teaching in 2001

Many thanks for those who replied to my posting - much appreciated.

1881 census shows Thomas H(Henry?)
Dwelling: 8 Bordesley Park Rd Court 1 Hse
Census Place: Aston, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341721 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 3016 Folio 97 Page 45
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Thomas H. WISEMAN M 33 M B Ham
Rel: Head
Occ: House Plumber
Mary A. WISEMAN M 28 F B Ham
Rel: Wife
Henry L. WISEMAN 7 M B Ham
Rel: Son