• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Wireless internet problem

barrie

master brummie
I've got two laptops (no, I'm not bragging lol ) one works perfectly with my wireless internet, but the other one keeps losing the connection. It reconnects ok, but I have to do it manualy. Is there anything I can do to keep it connected ?

Thank you.

Barrie.

Try putting them both in the same room, just to eliminate the possibility of one being out of range of your wireless transmitter.

Hi Barrie. Go to the website of your Laptop's manufacturer and see if there is an updated driver for the wireless card. Some of the earlier drivers did tend to cause drop-outs especially if you're using the later security settings (WPA or WPA2).

barrie, did you solve your wireless problem? Posting back with your solution can help others. If Morturn and jukebox's solutions didn't work for you, there may be other folk with different solutions. Let us know, mate.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I seem to be in a daze since I lost my wife, only to be expected I suppose, but anyhow; No, the problem remains the same, it will stay connected to the wireless for some time, but then disconnects itself, and I then have to connect it manually, its very strange.

Barrie.

One other thought:- it is possible that interference from a neighbour on the same or nearby channel may the causing the problem (I've had this happen). Try setting the router to a fixed channel rather than auto. Better still download and install inSSIDer from https://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ - this will show you all the wireless networks nearby together with which channel they are on and their signal strengths. You can then choose a suitable channel to set yours to. John

hi barrie ;
you are not alone on this problem there is alot of people around today experienceing wire les probs;
i beleive me i will try and contact you later today by em ; if i can do that ;
alan ; astonian ;

I had problems with wi-fi connection. By process of elimination I found that my Digisender box ( used to transmit Sky from the satellite box to a remote receiver on the upstairs tv) was interfering with the wi-fi signal. The Digibox is an older version that transmits on 2.4GHz - newer versions use a different frequency so no probs with interference. My solution - I only have it switched on when I aint wi-fi-ing. ps if you have a Digisender, you can check the frequency from the label on the rear - if you haven't got a Digisender, don't bother :fat:.

My next door neighbour was on the same channel -moving channels helped a lot.

Back