• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wired Flower Pot Holder Seller

Tacitus

master brummie
View attachment 44430

I am sure this photo is somewhere in this forum - and someone wrote "I wish I knew what she is selling".

Well I went to the Birmingham Seen exhibition for the second time today - and this photo is included in the exhibition - and it has a title/description.

She is actually selling wire flower pot holders.

In the original it is easier to see that in her right hand she has one of the holders with a pot in it - and in her left hand she has several that she is obviously selling.

These holders basically converted a flower pot into a sort of hanging basket.

Can anyone point me to the original post I saw. Unless I imagined it??!!

T

I remember seeing it too - was it when someone was asking about the lady who sold carrier bags by/in the market and people started posting pictures of people selling things?
Polly

OOPS FOLKS GUILTY it was myself who posted it. I thought I had then had dinner and suddenly remembered I was going to search for it but thanks to oldmowhawk he has saved me the trouble. Jean.

Hi GG Jean

Looks like my memory might have been playing little tricks with me - unless the picture is even somewhere else??!!

But anyway, hope you were interested to learn that she was not a "flower" seller but a "wire flower pot holder" seller.

I imagine it was a little "home industry" whereby the women would knock them up at home at take them down to the Bull Ring to sell them.

I don't know how many people managed to get along to the Birmingham Seen exhibition but there was some intersting stuff in it.

This photo was in one of the cabinets and it jumped out at me the instant I saw it.

T

That was interesting to find out T as they were in an album my mom kept over the years. The thread was called Andy carrier or something like that. It just had flower seller under the photo. Jean.

Shame I must have had a brain lapse as I posted it in the first place but must be age or other things catching up. Found it in moms album tonight that I have not looked at for ages so thank you T for reminding me. Jean.

Back