• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Winter Walk

cookie273uk

master brummie
This is a Lane somewhere near Furnace End and Over Whitacre from a sketch I drew some years ago, added figures for interest. It is intentionally painted 'loose', I just wanted to give an impression of a winters day andWinter Walk 001.JPG not a photographic painting Eric

Eric that is a beautiful atmospheric painting. I hope you got through Christmas ok. I know it must have been difficult for you. Hope you and your dog were company for each other... Wendy xx

Lovely painting Eric. Gives you the feeling that you are walking down that path in the snow. Will phone in the New Year about getting together on lunchtime now most of the tests are over. Jean. x

Wendy, I shall be glad when this year (rather this month) as passed, lost my late Wifes wedding ring, then my dog Anna and the 27th Dec would have been my Diamond wedding anniversary, so looking forward to New Year, having said that I have my health, my other dog Sam and enjoy life, there are plenty far worse of than me. May touch that painting up a bit and frame it, might make a raffle prize for members who like loose paintings. Eric

beautiful painting eric. i was thinking of you over christmas and hoping you were doing okay on your own, all the best, chris

Eric you could always put it up for auction on the site. I bet there are lots of members who would bid for it?. Me for one. Jean.

Lovely atmospheric painting Eric. Captures the spirit of the walk, good companions. To be alone by choice is one thing, to be alone by circumstance is something quite different.
jimbo

Eric, I think jeans idea of auctioning it on the site is a great one - it's a lovely picture, you can almost feel the snow underfoot, it looks like the lane that leads to my friends cottage in Foul End, which is close to where you did the original sketch.
Sue

sistersue, many years ago I was invited to paint Maxtoke Castle, that was when I found these lovely little lanes by Maxtoke, Hogerells End, Furnace End, Over Whitacre etc... sometimes I would sketch in the Summer and turn it into a Winter painting, I have quite a few sketch books filled so have plenty of material for this kind of loose painting which I enjoy, usually takes less than an hour, if I labour over it and take longer it loses its freshness. Eric

That area was my evening ride after supper on my pushbike so I know it well. Fairly well anyway; it being darkish by the time I got to Coleshill from Saltley and had to put my lamps on. A nice ride down the hill and along to Dukes bridge and after that a left and through Over Whitacre. Bit of an adventure in the pitch dark with just the bike lamp to show the way. The road was a little wider than the lane in your very nice painting but hedges just like that and trees. A bit eirie in the fall. I can't remember where I came out on the way back...possibly Water Orton somewhere. This area has featured on here before with respect to a windmill at Furnace end I think. The ruins are still there covered by bushes.
Any chance of getting another dog to fill the void in your remaining pets life. Best wishes.

Eric, that is beautiful, my husbands brother and his family live in a lovely old cottage down a similar lane in that area.
A beautiful part of the world.
Christmas must have been hard, I know after losing Busby in April this year that the pain is dreadful.
These wonderful animals become our family also don't they.
Look forward to seeing you and Sam over in the park sometime. Alberta

Rupert, this lane was a little wider than shown in the painting, a bit of artists licence. As for another dog, I still have Sam, although he is nearly 14 so I will wait and see an decide when he has gone but at 82 years old any future dog I had would probably outlive me, not fair on the dog or my relatives.Eric

Gosh! Eric, I did not consider that you were 82; you don't write that old. Anyway I am in agreement about another dog and the consideration to longevity. When Rupi is no more I don't think we will be getting another dog for the same reason. He's 10 years old now and Jasper the cat goaded him into a cracker animal chase around the house....well he hurt himself and was a bit quiet for a while but has picked up again and is back to climbing stairs. So hopefully he will continue on. Heck the cat will outlive us all. Well...fingers crossed. He's an independant critter and I grump to the wife about him but like him a lot really.
Hard to realize that when I started using the computer at this desk, the Rupi puppy used to lie in the footwell and I used to warm my toes on his little body. Best wishes.

Back