• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

winson green asylum

josietrue

gone but not forgotten
doing my family tree i have found that one of my relative died in winson green asylum 1891
would anybody know if i could find any records of his time there
and where from
with thank josie

doing my family tree i have found that one of my relative died in winson green asylum 1891
would anybody know if i could find any records of his time there
and where from
with thank josie

hi josie...the only place i can think of is to ask the library if they have any records of the asylum...

when i enquired about the records of the weston road workhouse they said they no longer had them but ive been told since by someone that they do have them..think i was being fobbed off so next time i go to the library i shall want to speak to someone in authority just to make sure...i have a rellie in the workhouse certainly from 1881 to 1891..she died in 1893...just need her death cert to confirm that she died in the workhouse which i am assuming she did..

lyn

Last edited:
after finding aout that one of my relatives died in winson green asylum
i decided to get his death certificate i was shacked to see what coused his death
i have now requested the inquest reportimg056.jpg

crikey josie....that should make interesting reading...what a thing to happen..

lyn

Hi Josie,Just Been Reading Your thread on The hospital and one of your relies death there in the 1800 s
And May I add to say to you ,that should you at any Given Time Had Visited that hospital you would have been more horrifyed to see
What you would have seen And the conditions of the buildings and the outlay and the dark grim corridors and s
Social units for the very sick and mental cases that was thrown Into there and the high security units for such violent people with such disorders
Whom are highly dangerous and viciously attacked by patients whom actually harm the medical staff and the only way to contain these
People by force to restaint. Them from either themselves or staff
I myself Have seen first hand of this particular hospital above ground and the lower ground where these dangerous people are kept
In large wards together male and female patients actually screaming and shouting and jumping up and down on there beds
Fully clothed with hat and costs on on a red hot summers day to get into this section you had to ring the door bell and there is big heavy bolts
And key locks before they open the door of that big neavvy steel plate door and belekve me its really nerve racking to.be in there
On my visit I was highly petrifyed for the hours I was there visiting
When you walk down that drive of lodge road the further you walk and the closer you get to the building and enter its true its dark and
Intimdateing feeling you are watching your back for the fear of attack incidently I was attacked from behind but I had good reflectors
And had some one whom I was with knew the person whom attacked me and we took her to one of these prison cell wards
Where I witnessed the screaming and carrying one
I do not wish to offend you but as to what your relative was admitted in there fore do you know,
These
People have super strength within themselves and staff have to be very alert to protect themselves even thou they are highly trained
proffesionioaly to restrain them without harm to the patient and themselves must like prison officierrs have to be
And unfortunelatey things do happen like this
May I add I do have knowledge of this particular hospital and witnessed first hand of the hospital itself and the internal design
As we all know its originally Birmingham asylum an of a prison for Birmingham before the prison was extented and renamed
But all those cells are still there within that hospital below grounds believe me they are the original big cells where men in the 1800 s
Was kept together when prison life was in the dark ages
Becasuse of today's prison population at the green area years back they reclaimed some of the old wards to make more single cells for men
Some years ago in the seventys they built an holding block for women in Birmingham courts whom would have been remanded
For a couple of days and rather waste the ex pence of transporting them to Holloway prison in London
They thought they would keep them at the green but because the exp.osion of inmates now they. Needed the space
They abandoned it and back they weren't to Holloway the jam factory they used to call it way back in the early hears because they made all the jams and suppillied all
Prisons best wishe. Astonian,,,,,,,

Josie - could you tell me where you are sending for the inquest report from? I have a death certificate for a relative where it says there was an inquest (this was suicide).

Thanks
Janice

hi janice
if you send the death certifcate and a letter telling them you would like the inquest report
it takes about six week the address is
CORONER COURT 50 NEWTON STREET BIRMINGHAM B4 6NE
or you can just pop in and give them the cert and letter good luck
josie

janice can i just add a bit to josies info i was told by the coroners court that suicides that happened in prisons were closed forever but this may not apply in your case...

all the best

lyn

Thanks to both of you. As far as I know the suicide was at home so I think I will try. It was in 1913. It was my Gt Grandfather - good job that my Dad thought it was suicide (based on what he called "little boys with big ears hearing their Mom and Aunt discussing it) otherwise the certificate would have been a shock.

Janice

i would just like to say a big thank you to lyn and mike
who have help me to find out about my ggreat uncle who died in the birmingham asylum
without them i would not have known what happened to him
and thank you to all who helped
josie

i would just like to say a big thank you to lyn and mike
who have help me to find out about my ggreat uncle who died in the birmingham asylum
without them i would not have known what happened to him
and thank you to all who helped
josie

happy to help josie..

HI all, I'm a new member interested in c.19 asylums - particularly Rubery Hill (if anyone has any information or is curious as to what please see my recent post). I have been searching in the archives at Birmingham library recently and they have a catalog folder (probably available online but personally i prefer tangible research) which I do believe includes this particular asylum. Aware I am 7 years too late in posting my reply, but hopefully the post holder is still active on here and will see this. Asylum records are often fairly rich and include things like medical casebooks, admission records, comments on cure/discharge/death etc. Some of the archives for asylums in B'ham were water damaged *but* if you give B'ham library a ring, as to be put through to the archives department and ask they may just be able to tell you what you may be able to access. Hope that helps :)

HI all, I'm a new member interested in c.19 asylums - particularly Rubery Hill (if anyone has any information or is curious as to what please see my recent post). I have been searching in the archives at Birmingham library recently and they have a catalog folder (probably available online but personally i prefer tangible research) which I do believe includes this particular asylum. Aware I am 7 years too late in posting my reply, but hopefully the post holder is still active on here and will see this. Asylum records are often fairly rich and include things like medical casebooks, admission records, comments on cure/discharge/death etc. Some of the archives for asylums in B'ham were water damaged *but* if you give B'ham library a ring, as to be put through to the archives department and ask they may just be able to tell you what you may be able to access. Hope that helps :)
I am interested to find out about a possible admission to Winson Green Asylum in Nov 1910 to Jan 1911. According to records, Benjamin John Hucks (3rd great grandfather) was admitted but this is based only on an admissions register so I can't verify if it is my relative. Anyone have any ideas about getting more Information? I guess the library is my best bet. I also have questions about Whitmore St in Hockley in the early 1900s but I haven't worked out how to use this site properly yet!

With such an uncommon name I think you can be fairly confident that he is. There does not appear to be a birth registered for anyone else named so in the later half of the 19th century.

Okay great thanksnfor the reply. Now to find out some details about his admission! From what I can gather his wife died in Childbirth in 1902 and he seems to be registered as living in either a workhouse/boarding house in Coventry after his release from the asylum in 1911 so it would be good to get an idea of why he was admitted. The admission register records that he was released due to 'recovery.' I'm very new to all of this but it's great to read about others stories too.

The death for his wife is possibly listed as Ellen Hook, Jun qtr 1902 Bham.

Their daughter is living with her uncle Charles (Ellen's brother) and aunt Alice (who Benjamin seems to marry in 1916 ?)

Their son is living with his grandmother (Benjamin's mom)

Thank you for this as it confirms what I had found myself but I'm never too sure if what I've found is correct especially with the death of Nellie. I had found the name Ellen but wasn't sure. I think they're buried in Warstone Lane so now with a second opinion I'll check this out further.
And yes from what I found, Benjamin marries his late wife's brother's widow so I am assuming he (Charles Bailey) died in the war as Alice and Benjamin married in 1916 and Alice was recorded as a widow.

Could you or anyone find any information on 149 St John St Coventry as that's where Benjamin is listed as living in 1911. It's a very long list of men so I am just assuming it's some sort of boarding house? All the men are registered as lodgers. Would it have been common place for someone to be placed in such a place after leaving an asylum or would this have been by choice?

Back