• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Winfields Snack Bar 550 Walsall Road Great Barr

Great photo kenwin. Your Dad was tall ! The snack bar looks like it’s in a 1930s parade of shops. Viv.

And the shop’s still there - although empty on Streetview so hard to say if there’s been a change of use. Your parents must have got plenty of trade from cinema- goers further along the parade. Hope some BHF members remember it. Viv.

AFA24036-5049-4E56-8C1A-16CE35642C3E.jpeg

Hello Rob
Thank you for the comments and image. Yes, I remember it when John Tatlow was there at 550 Walsall Road. I was born at 552 Walsall Road. I have another image of 552 that I will post when I find where it is along, possibly, with further information. Thanks again.

Winfields at Tower Hill was where we bought our fishing gear including a pint of maggots when we fished the Canal at Tower Hill late fifties.

Here’s the link to Kenwin’s other thread about #552 Walsall Road. Viv

Hello Nickcc101

Thanks for your response and interest. Yes, when Mom and Dad closed the ladies hairdressing salon in 1955. This, coincidentaly, was the same day my brother Michael was knocked off his bike and killed - just further up Walsall Road near the church on the corner where the road from Hamstead meets the Walsall Road. After that Dad opened the fishing tackle shop whilst keeping on the gents hairdressing salon. It was a popular shop and I know that the maggots were excellent - a lot of effort was spent to achieve this!

Very sad to hear that Ken. Must have been a terrible time for you and the family.

Your family must have been well known in the area. Viv.

Back