• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windsor Arcade

dek carr

gone but not forgotten
If I remember right the North Western Arcade had a T junction half way down this came out in Bull St and was called Windsor Arcade ( I think) This is how I remember it after Rachams was Built. Dek

If I remember right the North Western Arcade had a T junction half way down this came out in Bull St and was called Windsor Arcade ( I think) This is how I remember it after Rachams was Built. Dek

Hi Dek hope you're feeing a bit better. Don't remember the T junction but there could well have been as the office building I worked in above Rackhams/House of Fraser was called Windsor House.

Hi David. Wonder if that tunnel is still there. A very interesting snippet of 'unseen' Birmingham. Viv

Here is the arcade c 1971. I seem to remember there was The Irish linen shop close to the junction with the windsor arcade on the right of the NW arcade as you came away from corporation st

map_c_1971_showing_North_western_arcade.jpg

Anyone know if the Windsor Arcade section is still there? I can't for the life of me remember it at all, but Mike's mention of the Irish Linen shop does ring a very familiar bell. Viv.

Hi Dek hope you're feeing a bit better. Don't remember the T junction but there could well have been as the office building I worked in above Rackhams/House of Fraser was called Windsor House.

Hi David. Wonder if that tunnel is still there. A very interesting snippet of 'unseen' Birmingham. Viv

I worked in Windsor House in the 70's!
Do you remember the tobacconists - Hollingsworths I think it was called -next door to the entrance?

I think the arcade is still there, though I've lived in London for 14 years and I don't get into Birmingham town that often now. the first Body Shop in Birmingham was in that arcade, next to the Irish Linen I think. Wasn't there also a barbers - just trying to picture it all?!

Rackhams on Bull Street - the early shop on the corner with Windsor Arcade. Is it usually been referred to as NW Arcade? Love the Edwardian ladies clothes displayed in their windows. Viv.

image.jpeg

Back