• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windrush

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Over on the Thread “in the Garden Today 2,” Farmerdave In Post 2782 provided lovely pictures of the display of Birmingham City Council at the Chelsea Flower Show, which who won a Gold Medal for the “Windrush Garden.”

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/in-the-garden-today-2.41582/page-140

The fact that the Council chose such an exhibition tends to suggest that there must be many interesting, if somewhat emotive, stories to tell on this subject.

The Empire Winrush is also mentioned in the Thread “National Service,” and by Maurice in post 1328 in connection with the West Indies...

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/national-service.513/page-62#post-582809

Also on the same group of pictures there is the reconditioned Ranchi which will carry thousands of emigrants to Australia.

C52FD567-F9DD-413A-B11A-FFC71A4F0321.jpeg

Also in the Tread National Service, Eric mentions the sinking of the Empire Windrush. Here are some questions asked in the House July 1954...

9CC5B214-B2DB-465D-BC32-FDEEAB0BE64C.jpeg 7A145A19-ADC6-49E6-90C7-CCE6DCB8F762.jpeg

Could anyone give me the Year the Empire Windrush sank, I'm sure that was the troopship my Wife and I sailed on from Hong Kong to Singapore in 1954 whilst serving in the RAF ? Although I have pics taken aboard I have not written the name of the ship. Eric

Could anyone give me the Year the Empire Windrush sank, I'm sure that was the troopship my Wife and I sailed on from Hong Kong to Singapore in 1954 whilst serving in the RAF ? Although I have pics taken aboard I have not written the name of the ship. Eric

On Tuesday March 30, 1954 it is reported that the Windrush caught fire on the previous Sunday. It may be possible to find the vessel that you sailed in by looking at the shipping news reports. What was the date around which it left Hong Kong?

Thanks Pedrocut, we did not sail till from Hong Kong till June '54, so not the Windrush, there were other troop ships on the Far East run, one with a similar name Empire Fowey, another German vessel, may have been that. Glad we did not go in March !! I left from Southampton on HMT Dunera in Jan ;53 and my Wife followed in April on HMT Asturias. Eric

Last edited:
Thanks Pedrocut, we did not sail till from Hong Kong till June '54, so not the Windrush, there were other troop ships on the Far East run, one with a similar name Empire Fowey, another German vessel, may have been that. Glad we did not go in March !! I left from Southampton on HMT Dunera in Jan ;53 and my Wife followed in April on HMT Asturias. Eric

Unfortunately this early part of 1953 is not covered for the Dunera, but a snippet for the Asturias...

It came into Soton on the 10th April from the Far East with 1,200 troops and families. It was expected through Spithead on the 22nd April sailing from Soton to Singapore and Hong Kong.

Thanks Pedrocut, it actually left Southampton on 24th April and arrived Hong Kong on 17th May (according to my late Wife's diary), it was a larger and faster vessel than all the others, the Dunera took 5 weeks. We came home from Singapore by air because my Wife had recently given birth to our daughter and the MO thought a long sea voyage unwise

Last edited:
Thanks Pedrocut, it actually left Southampton on 24th April and arrived Hong Kong on 17th May (according to my late Wife's diary), it was a larger and faster vessel than all the others, the Dunera took 5 weeks
I had the pleasure of sailing from Liverpool August 1952 to Korea to spend 12 months there as a NS man

There were other troop ships and hospital ships.
There is a song, an RAF one, about the Somersetshire. Perusal of the BBC WW2 People web site will find it. I never had the misfortune of a troopship as aircraft were suitable for smaller groups. I did hear this song, once or twice, emanating from airman's NAAFI's but I have not posted it, just the above reference, as it contains some very strong language. We do have ladies and folk who may find it offensive - no more than present day tv I suppose - moreover I do not want to get banned. :eek:

The site below is Birmingham Live from the 10th of May, and the Birmingham is hoping to win its seventh gold in succession at the Chelsea Flower Show...

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/windrush-tribute-chelsea-flower-show-14636465

It is stated...”Birmingham City Council, which has scooped a gold medal at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show for the last six years running, has been planning its Windrush tribute for months.

“For us, this display presents a unique opportunity to tell the stories of Windrush passengers and their descendants, many of whom went on to play an important role in shaping the Birmingham we know today. This is why we want to hear from Birmingham residents with Windrush connections, to ensure that our Chelsea display commemorating this important anniversary tells their stories in the most effective way.”

Not sure Birmingham Council can tell the stories in the most effective way. This was the position according to reports in October 1954...

BC7589D9-13B9-4152-81B7-DFF840CF17D8.jpeg

“The Good Old Days ?”...Birmingham Daily Gazette, November 1949, the Windrush Generation and the Bishop of Birmingham, Dr EW Barnes.

“...Many a West Indian Island is today little better than a crowded slum. Children born survive if they are vigorous; each one that dies relieves congestion. Naturally, such inhabitants as can claim British citizenship are coming here in large numbers to avoid such congestion and to enjoy the benefits of the Welfare State...”

“...We are over-populated. We cannot produce enough food for our people, even though the fertility of our land has been artificially increased...”

“...We look like being permanently the paupers of the English-speaking world. We need to restrict our population...”

“...We need to preserve the good-living, honest, hard-working classes in our people, whether they are rich or poor. But we need to get rid of the slovenly, viscous, idle, wasters of the community. Unfortunately, the Welfare State is quite likely to encourage their increase....”

“...The time is quickly coming when sterilisation of the unfit will have to be essential in our social organisation...”

“...Are populations to increase everywhere till an explosion comes and the miseries of atomic warfare end for a time the anxieties of starvation? Think on these things.”

6EFD7654-0CB3-4954-85BA-E371D71A28DB.jpeg

Today, Sat 22 June 2019, is the first celebration of Windrush Day to honour the British Caribbean community. The 70th anniversary of the arrival of the Windrush.

Birmingham have a week-long festival under the banner ‘Birmingham Called – And We Answered’.

Does anyone have any stories to tell concerning this historic event?

Slightly of subject, my late Wife and I sailed it the Empire Windrush from Hong Kong to Singapore whilst serving in the RAF in 1954 when it was a troop ship, I believe the vessel later sunk, date unknown. Eric

Hi Eric,

Sank 30 March 1954, according to Wiki.
Well worth looking up as the ship had a very varied and chequered history.

Kind regards
Dave

Back